SoCal girl moving to Toronto

SadieN

Completely ignorant what to wear during cold winters in Toronto. Our winter coats are simply heavy hoodies, lighter than a fall coat. Know that we’d need layers and that it can get down to -40F/-40C. Our winters might get down to 32F/0C, but we’re typically in the 50Fs/10Cs. Need to know everything head to toe. Brands and stores would be appreciated, need plus sizes.

Know this isn’t cruise related, but this is the best place I can think of for great advice.

TIA.

(Yes, this post is coming from a place of desperation!☹️)

So...I've moved a lot in my life. I'm 46 years old and the longest stint I've had under one roof was during my four years of high school. Before that and since then, I've hit 3.5 years a couple times...but I think my average is somewhere around 2 years. I say this because I haven't been to Toronto in particular, but I have made the move from a southern climate that was warm (if not HOT), less warm and wet, and kinda cool (Texas, Arizona) to a more northern 4-season climate (Colorado, Kansas). While neither of these winters can truly compare to Toronto, I know because in Georgia my group of girl friends was formed from a bunch that had job relocations from one hour outside Toronto...I can offer SOME input on your situation.

And the first thing that I would say is that you adopt the mindset that you will have a complete winter wardrobe. Not just adding some things to your wardrobe to help get you through colder weather. If you have the typical southern wardrobe (based on my own) then your clothing is all of a general weight of fabric and other than a select few pairs of pants and sweaters and other layering items, you can pretty much wear most of your clothes year round. THAT'S what will change...you absolutely will have pants that you will ONLY wear in the cold weather, for example. Dressing in layers, yes, but your base layer will even start with a different caliber of clothing that what you currently own. Definitely something that you can build over time to fill the gaps for what you absolutely need.

If you have seen the movie A Christmas Story where the Mom completely suits up her youngest son to the point where he can't move his arms because he is so bundled up? This is an exaggeration of the idea that you will absolutely suit up to go out...having a whole routine of putting on your appropriate coat, scarf (or other neck warming device), hat (if you prefer in addition to or instead of a hooded jacket), and gloves. As well as possibly having some specific boots that you wear during that season for running errands or whatever. And you come into a restaurant or coffee shop or place where you might hang out a bit, and then you stash your gloves into your pockets and you open your scarf to under the lapels of your coat and then you may just open or remove your coat depending on the circumstance.

Planning for winter trips to New York and Chicago, I bought a pair of Columbia brand waterproof boots with Omni-heat. They have a sole like a sneaker. LOVE them. Would highly recommend them for good winter footwear. I've used them quite a bit here in NC actually...we had over one week here this winter where we didn't get above freezing and many other very cold spells...so I've worn them a lot and they are still going strong. I've had mine for about 3 years now?

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Womens-Loveland-Omni-Heat-Black/dp/B0183NV5KY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527090276&sr=8-6&keywords=womens%2Bcolumbia%2Bomni%2Bheat%2Bboots&th=1

You'll read mixed reviews, but my family has had good success with the Manzella brand of gloves.

My favorite scarf was given to me as a gift. My MIL picked it up at a trade show type thing she went to for speech therapy. The label is the same label as this scarf:

https://www.amazon.com/Cashmere-Elegant-Collection-Made-Scotland/dp/B079LVFH13/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1527090723&sr=8-17&keywords=made+in+scotland+cashmere+scarf

It's thin, but warm and feels good next to my skin. I like the versatility of the length. Mine is a fun multi-colored one that pretty much goes with everything.

Like I said, we had a colder winter this year. We just moved to Winston Salem from Atlanta area and before that Houston. I didn't have a great winter coat and I needed one. I bought this one:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-inlux-insulated-jacket-nf0a2vea#hero=0

This is NOT the color I had. There was a large selection last fall/early winter. Mine is winter white with an olive green lining. There was also a good sale when I bought it.

So...as you figure out what kind of general wardrobe changes you might appreciate...these would be my recommendations for a coat, scarf, gloves, and boots.

I would also recommend SmartWool. For casual wear, own some base layers. Talking with Awfry (Melody) who lives in Colorado Springs...we both like the 1/4 zips. There are solids and patterns.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/women-clothing-shop-all-clothing/womens-merino-250-base-layer-quarter-zip-sw0np221?variationId=592#hero=0

You CAN find these on sale. Check out Sierra Trading Post for one. REI. Cabelas. Many outdoor stores. We have a Mast General Store here and their seasonal sales are really good.

Also...fleece and flannel can be your friends. Again for casual wear. You'll find what works for you. A typical mild winter outfit that I put together would have the 1/4 zip SmartWool base, a flannel shirt on top of that (maybe buttoned, maybe not), a fleece vest on top of that with scarf and gloves and boots. Replace the fleece vest with the coat if cold enough. I like the fleece vest for the transition seasons and also for the warmer winter days. Mine is this brand...and it totally could be a men's:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Grit-Mens-Pebble-Double/dp/B01IQ1VEPO

I love the texture!

So, again, my suggestions will be more on the casual side because I don't work outside the home.

Thanks Anita Latte!

As you said, our wardrobes are year round and when we can find cold weather clothes, they only go down to 20F/-6C.

DD is going to school and we have no idea where to start. She does have some woolen sweaters and scarves that she picked up in England but no outerwear, shoes or bottoms. The only thing we’re happy about is that she’ll have a clothes dryer available to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK! Now that you've shared that we're talking about a college aged person...that really helps with the whole planning thing.

I would spend some time on Pinterest. Do searches like "Toronto College Winter Street Style" and see where that takes you.

I did a google search for "Toronto college life winter blog" and found this as one of the hits:

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/how-to-survive-your-first-winter-a-college-students-guide

"Toronto college winter wardrobe essentials" google yields fun articles like this:

http://www.eyelinerwingsandprettythings.com/college-winter-wardrobe-essentials/

https://www.society19.com/clothing-essentials-for-your-college-wardrobe/

For casual bottoms for cold weather, like thicker warm yoga type pants and leggings...hit up Athleta. The return policy is excellent so if they don't work out like you anticipate, they'll take them back. Same thing with REI. If you aren't a member, that might be a good $20 to spend (it's a lifetime membership) and they have the same kind of guarantee with their stuff.

Love SmartWool socks!!

Anyway...checking out fashion blogs could be really helpful. I don't think that you'll need a bunch of specialty clothing, just some idea of what normal college students wear in cold weather.

Idahoan here...

First, you will have 2 different sets of clothes, and even shoes. I have winter pants, winter nice shoes, and winter tops in addition to the tights, long underwear, sweaters, coats, hat, scarf and gloves. I even have winter pajamas.

Ditto summer clothes, because the winter wardrobe is way too warm. Rotating all of the clothes in our closets twice a year actually does happen. (A friend who moved up from San Diego thought everybody was joking about that.)

Most of the stores right now are selling summer clothing. That will change starting in August. As far as outerwear goes, it is very rarely cold enough here for my LL Bean down parka. I have a heavy fleece coat from Land's End that works beautifully most of the time. I buy packs of thin black gloves (always black, because I lose one or the other regularly. If they are all black, they all kind of match) and use them as liners under a pair of mittens when it is truly frigid. I have several hats and scarves I've collected along the way.

One thing I have noticed... When the weather is truly awful, appearance goes out the window. I have seen attorneys show up at meetings wearing long, lace up Sorel boots because they had to dig the car out. The really warm, ugly hats come out and everybody just deals with hat hair. And we all play the regional game -- how many layers can I get on and still zip the pants?

OP, Toronto is on the shore of Lake Ontario, and the lake moderates the temperature quite a bit. There is not much of a chance of your daughter experiencing temps like minus 40. I live an hour west of Toronto and have never seen temps that low.

She will need a warm coat, hat, mitts, scarf and boots. For in school, most likely jeans and a sweater or long sleeve shirt. Add an extra sweater over the shirt if it's really cold.

She will probably think it's freezing at first, coming from a warm climate, but she should get used to it. Also, if she will be in Toronto in the spring/summer, it can get really hot and humid.

Thanks for all the advice. And calming Mom down a bit, lol Since I posted she called Torrid somewhere in Toronto and they gave her all sorts of advice. Between them and you all I hope she’ll be fine.

We were there this past weekend and had beautiful weather and several mentioned -40. Hopefully as Daisyloo says it’s an aberration or an exaggeration. But even 32F/0C is cold for us.

Question about shoes and cold weather— do you buy a half size up to accommodate the extra socks?

Again, tights offer a huge amount of extra warmth. So, for -5 fahrenheight I would wear tights, merino wool socks, and then boots.

Most boots have kind of a loose fit to accommodate thicker socks, but not a whole half size up. Good socks don't take that much space.

IMHO dampness and wind in the winter need to be considered. I was shocked at how cold I was at 20F, with the dampness and wind. I'm Canadian, we have cccccold winters where we live, but the dampness and wind add another dimension to the cold.

Another vote for Smartwool socks, some good mitts, a hat, and a scarf.

It is a bit early for this online store to have their new winter gear in, but you can check out the clearance section to see some of last year's stuff.

https://www.mec.ca/en/

So no layering even if it gets below 0F/16C?

Oh yes layers can really help. So yes to layers.

(For the record, that 0F is -16C)

I'll be back with my personal suggestions in a bit. :)

I echo Anita Latte! SmartWool & CuddleDuds & merino wool. SmartWool socks can literally save you from frostbite. Buy shoes same size as normal, boots I might size up a half size. CuddleDuds are thin but very warm liners for clothes that add warmth but not bulk & double as really comfy pjs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP, Toronto is on the shore of Lake Ontario, and the lake moderates the temperature quite a bit. There is not much of a chance of your daughter experiencing temps like minus 40. I live an hour west of Toronto and have never seen temps that low.

She will need a warm coat, hat, mitts, scarf and boots. For in school, most likely jeans and a sweater or long sleeve shirt. Add an extra sweater over the shirt if it's really cold.

She will probably think it's freezing at first, coming from a warm climate, but she should get used to it. Also, if she will be in Toronto in the spring/summer, it can get really hot and humid.

Thanks for your post. I grew up on Lake Erie and never remember hearing about GTA getting that cold.

OP: -40F = -40C (might be the only temp where this is the case), but I've never seen it this cold in the Great Lakes Region. Wind chill is a real thing (and the dampness to the wind does make it feel very cold), but even wind chill in -F was rare.

Toronto winters will be colder than So Cal, but not as bad as the Dakotas or Montana in the states (or Alberta or the Territories in Canada).

Thanks for all the great advice. We’ve seen SmartWool in our local REI.

Guess at some point cold is cold whether it’s 0 or a degrees lower. That’s how we look at heat, after 100F, it all feels the same.

AND my parent in Scottsdale say the same thing about 110 degrees! LOL.

The thing to remember is that even though it can be so WINTRY...you still live indoors. And there IS heat. The thing is that you have to dress somewhat appropriately for getting to and fro. And you can be more or less miserable in your trekking across campus or town or whatnot depending on how well prepared you are. So...you can still wear skirts...but they need to be winter weight...and you wear tights...and socks...and boots. No big. You don't have to completely adopt a new way of dressing...you just have to adapt your style to the season by adding the things that will help you stay warm. And recognize that you now own things that are only worn certain months of the year.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mix up winter hiking or severe snowstorm clothing with city living. A lot will also depend if your daughter drives to campus or relies on city transport. I live in Ottawa which is colder and has more severe temperatures. We can get -40 with a windchill factor for several days but that is certainly not the norm in Toronto ( now that I have said that, it will probably happen!). Assuming that your daughter is arriving in September when the A/C may still be on, I would recommend that she waits until she arrives and can get some direction from friends who live in Toronto. To buy from a catalogue/online as to preconceived ideas may be a waste. Pack the hoodies and go from there. There will be lots of back to school/campus specials. Canada Goose jackets ( without the coyote fur) are popular on campuses albeit expensive. I buy my shoes and boots in the same size and do not understand the suggestion to buy boots a half size larger. Make sure any boots have a good tread as ice can be an issue. Pajar boots have a series that I think are called ice grippers or something like that.,,the bottom flips to give more grip. However do not buy the icegrippers that attach to the bottom of the boot as she will be laughed at....only for old and maybe sensible folks! I wear regular socks most of the time and my warmer socks if necessary are quite thin. I rotate my summer and winter clothing and have winter and summer pajamas as stated above. Jeans will probably be the pant of choice on campus. If your daughter finds it cold/damp coming from SoCal fleece/flannel lined pants/jeans are available online from Eddie Bauer/LL Bean/Landsend and probably MEC but she will probably roast in class and I don't think they are popular with the younger set. I would opt for mitts over gloves but there are mitts that have the top that flips so that a cell phone can be accessed.

Again, I recommend that she waits and gets direction from new friends who live there and have the same lifestyle.

Thanks for more info. We’ve been looking her clothes at home. She’ll bring jeans and some of her woolens she picked up in the UK. She’ll just figure it out as she goes along.

I grew up with stories from Dad about crossing the Michigan State campus in a full balaclava during the winter. Happy to hear it won’t always be like that in Toronto.

Since starting this DD has found a friend from preschool who now lives in the Toronto area and is excited to have someone from home. Hopefully she’ll set her straight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived in Toronto but most of my life lived in Northern Ontario and although T.O. has had some cold spells during the winter just like every other N. American northern city, it is less common and only lasts for a few days at a time. I would suggest layers, such as leggings, skirt, blouse and tunic sweater or jeans, tshirt, flannel shirt and jean jacket for starters. She’ll learn to bundle when she needs to do and peel off when she needs to. Toronto winters begin in November and can end as soon as mid-March, although I’ve seen them go past those markets as well. Good shoes such as Dr. Martens or Sketchers will serve her well as depending on where she is, walking can be the modus operandi and Toronto concrete isn’t kind to feet. Best of luck and she’s got this Mom!

• 1 month later...

Your DD may in fact need two coats depending on her activities. Here in the north there are 'walk your dog coats' and 'mall, transit coats'. One will keep you warm regardless of how cold it is out and the other will keep you from sweating while driving, shopping, using transit. As strange as it seems the best choices for coats often is during the end of August as the stores prepare for back to school, especially if you are not in the 'average' size range. I wish her well as she experiences our fair country.

Thanks for the additional info. She got there yesterday and is now dealing with the heat combined with humidity, lol. She called a few stores about winter clothes and they’ve told her the same thing.

As of now, she’s relying on busses, trains and Uber/Lyft etc.