Ladies, share your tips on how you get ready for dinner

Here's my dilemma: after a day at a port/beach/pool, coming back all sweaty, etc, and having hair that doesn't behave air-dried I usually spend a good amount of time washing my hair and blow drying it so I can look presentable for dinner time. Why do I want to look presentable? Because we tend to take advantage of the photo booths every night (we get the photo package). These are our yearly "family photo sessions" so they are important to me, and I don't want to be in a bun in all these pictures.

My question is, do you have any tips/tricks on how to make styling/prepping time faster? Do you wear wigs, fake ponytails? Do you not dip your head in the water some days so you don't have to wash/style that night? Other?

P.S. Please, I don't need to hear how cruises are supposed to be relaxing and you wouldn't be putting this kind of effort. I'm looking for advice on how to ease my situation, not avoid it, so if you don't have this problem or it's not something you can relate to feel free to move along and/or keep your snarky comments to yourself. (Sorry not trying to sound mean, but it really seems like some people in this board get a thrill out of making sarcastic comments on as many threads as possible).

I have thick, long, curly, unruly hair. I blow dry it and pull it straight with my Chi. (flat iron). It only takes me 20 minutes at the most. Not sure I understand what you are asking. Is it that you want to save time or you don't want to go through the work. Kindly explain.

I have thick, long, curly, unruly hair. I blow dry it and pull it straight with my Chi. (flat iron). It only takes me 20 minutes at the most. Not sure I understand what you are asking. Is it that you want to save time or you don't want to go through the work. Kindly explain.

Thank you for your answer. I don't mind the work, I wanted to know if there were some time-saving tricks. Wow, I am impressed with your skills! I have mid-back length naturally curly hair and it takes me at least 45 minutes just to blow-dry straight. I'm a bit afraid of flat irons, since I messed up my curl pattern with one a few months ago (which is why my top half is curly and bottom half is straight, making air-dry really not an option now). Do you wash your hair every day during the cruise? Do you have any tips on how to make blow drying faster?

Here's my dilemma: after a day at a port/beach/pool, coming back all sweaty, etc, and having hair that doesn't behave air-dried I usually spend a good amount of time washing my hair and blow drying it so I can look presentable for dinner time. Why do I want to look presentable? Because we tend to take advantage of the photo booths every night (we get the photo package). These are our yearly "family photo sessions" so they are important to me, and I don't want to be in a bun in all these pictures.

My question is, do you have any tips/tricks on how to make styling/prepping time faster? Do you wear wigs, fake ponytails? Do you not dip your head in the water some days so you don't have to wash/style that night? Other?

P.S. Please, I don't need to hear how cruises are supposed to be relaxing and you wouldn't be putting this kind of effort. I'm looking for advice on how to ease my situation, not avoid it, so if you don't have this problem or it's not something you can relate to feel free to move along and/or keep your snarky comments to yourself. (Sorry not trying to sound mean, but it really seems like some people in this board get a thrill out of making sarcastic comments on as many threads as possible).

I can relate to the whole "hair situation" on a cruise. I have been on 7 cruises, all with high humidity which doesn't work well for my longer thick hair. I decided awhile back that the time and effort it takes isn't worth it. I usually only wear my hair down one night and the rest is a pony tail. I found that a straight iron is the easiest and quickest way to look "picture ready".

For most of us, looking good takes a little time. I like that you want to look nice for yourself and for photos.

The hairdryers on ships and not terrific for long curly thick hair, so you might want to bring your own. I can get away with washing my hair every few days ( it is short, thick and curly and I can style it with the ship hair dryer and a round brush) but wash and style it more often on a cruise depending on my activity level, type of day etc. I would never consider not getting it wet because I didn't want to wash and style it later. My hair routine only takes 15 minutes.

Perhaps you can try a new style and allows you to blow dry to wavy hair rather than straight. Maybe that would take less time.

Let us know your results and you might want to ask your question to the beauty and fashion board, unless this thread gets moved there.

good luck

M

a great time saver is the Remington steam hair straightener that lets you straighten your hair while it is wet. i have extremely long hair down to my knees-it is curly and thick and i can section and do it all in about 30 min and yes i wash it everyday. i ordered my Remington on amazon for $21 works great! Remington S7310 Wet 2 Straight Hair Straightener, 1-Inch, Black Hair Straightener--I do not have black hair but it is very curly and this works like a charm.

I have fairly thick straight chin length hair that must be washed daily. We do late dining. After shower, I sit on the balcony with a glass of wine and let it predry then only need five minutes with a round brush and dryer to finish.

A couple of pre dinner drinks and I don't care how I look? :eek:

I have mid length curly hair and once I've gotten it wet at the pool or beach the only recourse is to wash it and start over. I usually air dry (I know, not an option for you) or put it up if it's being particularly awful, but some of these suggestions are intriguing. You never know what you'll learn on these boards!

Hope these tips help and have a wonderful cruise.

If I think I can get away with it I will use dry shampoo at the roots and a quick hit with the straightener. Don't dry shampoo your whole head as it will make your hair flat.

It's a great time saver if I want to get out f the cabin quickly.

My hair is mid back length-wavy/almost curly, but I keep it straight.

I have thick, stick straight, fine hair, so I need to put in a fair amount of effort as well. I usually allow my hair to air dry while I put on my make up, which helps, even if it's only for a few minutes. Then I use my own hair dryer because the ones they provide on ships and hotels never have enough power to them.

If you aren't getting your hair wet at the pool/beach, have you ever thought of occasionally using dry shampoo to prep your hair for easy styling and volume? Sometimes that's a life saver for me when I don't want to spend a lot of time on my hair, but still want it to look nice.

I will be getting my hair (long, thick, curly) professionally straightened using a Keratin treatment from a local salon prior to my upcoming cruise. It makes it much easier to dry or touch up with a flat iron as needed. I usually get it done about once a year at the beginning of summer and it lasts a few months. (I also only wash my hair a couple times a week because of the time and effort it takes to dry, but I hate shorter hairstyles on me.)

• Like 1

I also have thick wavy hair that takes forever to blow-dry. I wrap my hair in one of those super absorbent quick-dry hair towels (got mine at Steinmart) for a few minutes, and it really does absorb a lot of water and shorten the drying time. Then I go out on the open deck and let the breeze do most of the work so I just have to do a quick finish with the dryer.

I bring my OWN hairdryer because the provided ones take 3 times as long to dry my hair. I do wrap my hair in a towel for a bit, to get the excess water out.

I can go from hair wash to ready to go in 45 mins. or less.

I also have thick wavy hair that takes forever to blow-dry. I wrap my hair in one of those super absorbent quick-dry hair towels (got mine at Steinmart) for a few minutes, and it really does absorb a lot of water and shorten the drying time. Then I go out on the open deck and let the breeze do most of the work so I just have to do a quick finish with the dryer.

Yes! I always bring a turby towel!

My daughter and I both have a lot of hair so we use to run into the same issues getting ready. We bring our own blow dryer (its small but really powerful); Except for my side bangs,. I don't use a brush to smooth it as it dries. I flip my head over and dry from the roots. This saves me so much time and gives it extra hold in the humidity. Once its dry, I hit it with a hot curling iron. My curls stay in all night and barely need a touch up in the morning. I can go from towel to styled in 20 minutes this way. Hope it helps.

Terri

I'm looking for advice on how to ease my situation, not avoid it, so if you don't have this problem or it's not something you can relate to feel free to move along and/or keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Get your hair cut in a shorter style that is easier to take care of.

Sheesh.......... :rolleyes:

:confused:

Short curly hair. I wash it every evening and never use a hair dryer. I need an hour to get ready so my answer would be to factor in however much time you need. I always shower first and then put my body lotion and makeup on whilst hair is air drying and DH is in the shower. By the time I have done this and got dressed and told DH how lovely he looks it is dry. I then just have to quickly straighten my fringe, put some product on and go.

Honestly the flat iron is my go-to. I can have a day at the beach, let it air dry in a pony tail and come back and just straighten with the flat iron and it looks presentable without washing.

Long wavy hair - between fine and medium and a lot of it. Echoing what the ladies have said about bringing the hair dryer. Adding this - find products that work better with your hair for less work. I swear by the Living Proof products. I can blow dry my hair in 15 minutes. Also love the sea sprays.

I try to be done with our excursions or other activities on the ship by early to mid afternoon so I can shower and wash my hair. Then I have relaxation time, or spend some time in a bar, etc until it's time to get ready for dinner.

We've never had the professional photos taken, but I still care about how I look. I just had my hair cut to above shoulder length, so I don't do much styling, more wash and wear.

Enjoy your cruise.

My daughter got a Brazilian blowout one year before a cruise and was hooked. She now has it professionally straightened all year, and not just for a cruise. It's an unbelievable time saver and she loves it. We also set everything up the night before or the morning. Outfit on hanger with any camisole or whatever on same hanger. Undies in zip-lock on top ready to grab to head to shower. We also take a flat-folded cardboard type box (Dollar Tree) and put the hair dryer, hair accessories, make-up bag, mirror, jewelry roll, etc in it. It can be carried from bedroom to the desk and everything is in one spot ready to use without searching and laying everything out. It's in that one box ready. We can each be ready, from start to finish in 30 minutes. It's all in the planning ahead and organizing.;p