Big Mike's Guide - Should You Rent a Scooter in Bermuda

hamlettm

Should you rent a scooter in Bermuda???

I have seen so many posts asking “Should I rent a scooter in Bermuda” that I wanted to answer each and every question I’ve seen about renting scooters in Bermuda. So here we go…… this is my little guide for everyone. Keep in mind I do NOT work for the cruise ship industry or the scooter rental agency in Bermuda. =) I’m a cruise guy just like all of you here. =)

First a little background: I’m 42 years young and I started riding motorcycles (dirt bikes) at the age of 7. I rode dirt bikes all my life until I was 17 when I got my first street bike….. it was a Kawasaki Ninja 600, some people call them rice burners. I rode this bike for 4 years and had no car, I rode it in rain, snow and even ice and finally sold it when I went into the Navy. Later in life when I got married I bought another street bike (yes a rice burner) and kept it another 5 years. I ended up getting rid of it after to many close calls and having kids and a wife to care for. So all together I’ve had about 25 years’ experience riding motorcycles. My wife started riding dirt bikes at the age of 9 and had over 5 years’ experience with a dirt bike, she had no road bike experience before Bermuda.

When we got to Bermuda this week (July 17th, 2013) we rented two scooters that were doubles (premium) scooters from Oleander Cycles which is the best scooter rental place on the island from all the reviews I’ve seen. We rented them for 3 days and my wife and I drove our own scooters. I was always driving first and she wanted to follow me from behind. Even with ALL OUR EXPERIENCE driving motorcycle’s we still both almost had a wreck or close call riding scooters in Bermuda.

THE CLOSE CALLS: My wife was pulling out and turning left when another car came out from another street at the same time. I don’t think they saw each other and almost had a head on crash. It didn’t happen as they both corrected at the last minute but it was a very close call anyway. We also got into tons of traffic and it really gave my wife lots of anxiety.

I’m VERY comfortable riding a scooter that only goes 40MPH. I was use to riding my old street bike at 65MPH daily back home. When I was in Bermuda I felt relaxed on the scooter, like I was in my lazy boy back in North Carolina. It was all like riding a bike to me or jumping up and walking again, something I can do daily and I’m use to doing. Even tho I had so much experience and loved riding in Bermuda I also had close calls. A car in front of me was turning and I passed it and got back in the middle of my lane and another truck came into my lane and got really close to me. It actually looked like we were only a few inches apart but we didn’t hit. My wife thought I was about to get into a head on collision but we didn’t thank God!

But with ALL THAT SAID I would still rent scooters again when I go back to Bermuda. However, I do think if you have not had 2 years experience on the road with a street bike you SHOULD NOT rent a scooter in Bermuda.

Here is a picture of my wife and her scooter. =)

jE5im.jpg

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON RENTING A SCOOTER IN BERMUDA

QUESTION 1: Should I rent a scooter in Bermuda?

ANSWER: Unless you have had a minimum of 2 years’ experience on a street bike I DO NOT suggest you rent a scooter in Bermuda. You probably won’t have enough experience and could get into a really bad accident.

REASONING: Bermudians like to drive fast and the roads are VERY narrow with almost no way out if you get into trouble. They also like to pass (they call it over taking) other drivers. So the roads and driving conditions are much different than anywhere else in the world. Driving on the left side of the road, having walls on the side of the road, no way out in case of emergency and fast speeds mean unless you have experience with motorcycles you SHOULD NOT rent a scooter. A scooter is like a motorcycle except you don’t change gears and it’s not as heavy…… other than that it goes fast and acts like a motorcycle.

QUESTION 2: I’ve had 2 years’ experience on a street bike, do you think it’s ok if I rent a scooter?

ANSWER: Sure, just make sure you take enough time to get use to the scooter before you take off down the road. Also make sure you go SLOW around corners as many are VERY sharp and other cars and buses tend to come into your lane. Also the scooter doesn’t have the same shocks, wheels, etc that a motorcycle does so it will handle differently. Putting your feet in front of you instead of on side foot pegs takes some getting use to.

QUESTION 3: I’ve never had a motorcycle but I want to rent a scooter, what do you think?

ANSWER: This is a REALLY BAD idea and I don’t suggest it. Riding a scooter or a motorcycle on the street takes a LONG TIME to get use to and lots of skill. Adding this into a new city, new driving conditions and new terrain you don’t know all adds up to a bad idea.

QUESTION 4: So I have the experience riding motorcycle’s and scooters, what’s the best way to rent one?

ANSWER: Reserve you scooter through Oleander Cycles, they are the largest rental place for scooters on the island. Once you rent and do the test drive if you’re not comfortable driving the scooter they will refund your money. =) All you do is get off the cruise ship, walk 5 minutes away and check in to get your scooter, the entire process takes 5 minutes. Then you select your helmet and go get your scooter. They actually bring it out to you and make you do a test drive. My wife and I got the doubles so we have extra room for our large butts. =)

QUESTION 5: How do I keep my credit cards and money from being stolen when riding the scooters?

ANSWER: Each scooter has a large storage area under the seats. It can hold your helmet, towels, money, purse, etc. So simply lock it up when you go the beach and all your goods will be ok! You also have a huge basket in the back to carry snorkel gear or anything else you want.

QUESTIONS 6: What about gas? Do I need to worry about that?

ANSWER: We paid the gas charge where we don’t have to worry about putting gas back into the scooter. We ended up riding over 140 miles and the gas gauge didn’t hardly move, so unless your ride the scooter 4+ hours a day you won’t need gas. =)

The gas charge allows you to pay $10.00 for your gas up front. This means they give you a full tank of gas for your scooter and you don't need to fill it back up or worry about the gas when you bring it back. Gas in Bermuda is about $9.99 a gallon so this is a fee people should pay when renting if you don't won't to worry with putting gas back in before you drop it off.

We drove over 50 miles in three days and the gas needle didn't seem to move much at all. So you won't have to stop and get gas any if you pay the $10 charge up front. =)

QUESTION 7: How much does it cost to rent the scooters?

ANSWER: We paid $167 total for 3 days per scooter. Remember these were doubles (meaning 2 people can ride on each scooter) so the price for single scooters will be cheaper. Here is a breakdown of what we paid.

3 day rental - $127

Sales tax - $0.00

R/Waiver - $30.00 (this is insurance and for break downs) meaning if you break down you call and they bring you a new bike ASAP. Also it includes insurance so if you wreck you don’t buy the $4500 bike.

Prepaid Gas - $10.00

QUESTION 8: How far away is the scooter rental place from the port?

ANSWER: It’s about a 4 minute walk, they even have a car for you to take you to the location if your not up for a short walk.

QUESTION 9: What’s the process of renting the scooter?

ANSWER: You walk into the building, wait in a short line if a few people are in front of you and then show the agent your driver’s license. They write up a short contract and ask you if you want the gas waiver for $10.00 then they take your payment. You walk over to the side of the room and find a helmet to fit (these have been worn by MANY people) so if you’re a germ freak put a hat on under it or a bandana) then you go outside and a guy explains how the scooter operates. After that you take a short drive around the block and your done!

QUESTION 10: Where do I park my scooter when I get done for the day?

ANSWER: You drive directly up to the cruise ship and park in the front in small parking spaces for scooters. It’s about a 2 minute walk back to the ship after you park. I posted an image below showing the exact location looking down from our room on the Breakaway.

i39xw.jpg

QUESTION 11: How long does it take to drive the scooter to each location on the island?

ANSWER: If your going slow and enjoying the views these are the times it takes for driving to each area.

Hamilton to Elbow Beach – 15 Minutes

Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay – 25 Minutes

Hamilton to Crystal Caves – 30 Minutes

Hamilton to St George’s – 55 Minutes

Hamilton to Dockyard – 70 Minutes

Dockyard to Gibb’s Lighthouse – 20 Minutes

Dockyard to Horseshow Bay – 25 Minutes

Dockyard to Hamilton – 70 Minutes

Dockyard to St George’s – 125 Minutes

Dockyard to Crystal Caves – 100 Minutes

QUESTION 12: I’m renting my scooter at Dockyard, how should I get to Hamilton or St George?

ANSWER: To save the most time you can take your scooter on the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton, drive it off at Hamilton and then take North Shore road to St George. You can also do what we did (because we didn’t want to worry with taking the scooter on the ferry) and go to Hamilton and shop, eat, etc. When your done go to Oleander Cycle in Hamilton and tell them you left your rental at Dockyard and wanted to get another bike at this location. Give them your receipt and they will give you another scooter. We took ours to St George and dropped it off at that location and took the fast ferry back to the ship.

QUESTION 13: Can I drop the bike off at any location?

ANSWER: Yes you can drop it off at any location on the map below. As said above we left our rentals at Dockyard and took the ferry to Hamilton, we got ONE BIKE (no extra fee or money) and rode together to St George. We looked around and turned the bike in at that location and took the fast Ferry Back. I would not suggest riding your scooter all over the entire island as it takes up to much time. Use the different store locations to make things easier on you.

YCr83.png

QUESTION 14: How long does it take to drop the bike off when your done?

ANSWER: You can simply wait for after hours, park the bike outside the rental location and drop the keys in the drop box, it takes all of 20 seconds.

When my wife and I were in St George we had to catch the fast ferry and we were running late. I ran into that location with our helmet’s and put them on the counter and said “I gotta go we are late” and he just asked for my last name….. that was it. So it’s very quick to drop them off.

QUESTION 15: Should I reserve the bikes in advance before our trip?

ANSWER: Sure why not? This just makes sure your have a scooter and if for some reason your not comfortable driving it they will refund your money. With our ship (Breakaway) in port and another ship (over 7000 people) they were not sold out of scooters, so you will be ok. =)

Cwfli.jpg

QUESTION 16: Would you rent a scooter in Bermuda again?

ANSWER: My wife and I have been to Bermuda twice now and used buses, taxi services and scooters for transportation. Without a doubt we had the most fun and the most freedom renting scooters. When we go back to Bermuda again we will rent scooters for sure! Just make sure your a VERY experienced rider and you will be ok!

Edited by hamlettm

Great job! Answers many questions folks have. Thank you. :)

Your welcome, let's hope it helps everyone out.

If anyone has anymore questions or something else I need to cover let me know.

Your welcome, let's hope it helps everyone out.

If anyone has anymore questions or something else I need to cover let me know.

I suppose this doesn't need to be asked because bf just explained it to me, but I want to ask anyway (I never listen). The bikes that are rented out in Bermuda aren't enough CCs for two adults to ride on them, are they? Bf is an experienced motorcycle rider who lived in England with his bike for years, but he says that in Bermuda the 49 cc scooters won't be enough power to get us up a hill. I definitely can't rent one, so I thought I'd check to see if there are any true 2 person scoooters for rent.

I suppose this doesn't need to be asked because bf just explained it to me, but I want to ask anyway (I never listen). The bikes that are rented out in Bermuda aren't enough CCs for two adults to ride on them, are they? Bf is an experienced motorcycle rider who lived in England with his bike for years, but he says that in Bermuda the 49 cc scooters won't be enough power to get us up a hill. I definitely can't rent one, so I thought I'd check to see if there are any true 2 person scoooters for rent.

I guess in addition to not listening to your bf, you didn't bother to read this thread's original post. ;) The OP says in the answer to Question 7 that the prices he is quoting are for "doubles"...scooters that two people can ride on...so yes, there are two person scooters for rent.

The bikes that are rented out in Bermuda aren't enough CCs for two adults to ride on them, are they?

Tourists can only rent scooters with the smallest engines. They do rent scooters for two. And while they'll do the speed limit, they won't do much more. On hills you'll be at maximum throttle if you're riding two-up.

One thing to add, I have experience on street bikes as a driver but my DW had no experince as a rider, meaning she would lean left when I was leaning right. It didn't take long for her to catch on but it's something to practice in the lot before you go out 2 up. Also as previously noted the scooters don't lean like a bike so you can bottom out the faring pretty easy if you think it's going to handle like a street bike or dirt bike and get used to the power (or lack thereof) be prepared for slow turns and handling. I found it a liitle getting used to but not really hard once you catch the hang of it. All in all we would do it again and had no hairy experiences, we found lots of small beaches that you wouldn't find otherwise.

I guess in addition to not listening to your bf, you didn't bother to read this thread's original post. ;) The OP says in the answer to Question 7 that the prices he is quoting are for "doubles"...scooters that two people can ride on...so yes, there are two person scooters for rent.

I didn't take the time to read the OP's post either but Paul is correct here, tourist-rented scooters are less powerful than those owned by locals. We see doubles (and singles) often pulling over to get out of the way of traffic they're holding up. Some folks aren't comfortable with these when they're in traffic while others are fine. There are many accidents (one fatal while we were last staying on Bermuda) and close calls, especially in the busier areas so the rider must be very aware of what's around them. Great way to get around the south shore though.

Edited by blue_water

You can rent single scooters or two person scooters. My wife and I each rented our own TWO PERSON scooter so we would have more room. Even tho the scooters are not super fast I can promise you they are fast enough, they keep up with all the cars on the road and do fine going up hills. If you want some added speed don't ride with two people on one and both people in your party get your own scooter. One day we decided to ride together and had no problem going fast and up hills and we have a combined weight of 397lbs or 180kil. Other scooters on the island do go faster but who needs to go 60mph on roads you don't know? Only the Bermudian people. =)

One thing to add, I have experience on street bikes as a driver but my DW had no experince as a rider, meaning she would lean left when I was leaning right. It didn't take long for her to catch on but it's something to practice in the lot before you go out 2 up. Also as previously noted the scooters don't lean like a bike so you can bottom out the faring pretty easy if you think it's going to handle like a street bike or dirt bike and get used to the power (or lack thereof) be prepared for slow turns and handling. I found it a liitle getting used to but not really hard once you catch the hang of it. All in all we would do it again and had no hairy experiences, we found lots of small beaches that you wouldn't find otherwise.

Totally agree with you here, the day I took my wife for a ride I had to explain she needs to "sit still" and not try to drive from behind me. =) The best thing anyone can do is practice around Dockyard for 30 - 45 minutes or until you feel safe. Stop, turn and lean a bunch to get use to it. With my wife and I and our weight we never had the scooter bottom out on us once. But we did have to go slower with both of us on one scooter. So I would suggest getting a scooter per person if at all possible.

I didn't take the time to read the OP's post either but Paul is correct here, tourist-rented scooters are less powerful than those owned by locals. We see doubles (and singles) often pulling over to get out of the way of traffic they're holding up. Some folks aren't comfortable with these when they're in traffic while others are fine. There are many accidents (one fatal while we were last staying on Bermuda) and close calls, especially in the busier areas so the rider must be very aware of what's around them. Great way to get around the south shore though.

As far as traffic this is what I found out. DON'T WORRY about who is behind you and don't look back to keep checking. I talked to a lady who was driving a scooter and delivering food, I figured why not ask someone who lives on the island the best way to drive a scooter around. She told us "don't worry about traffic behind you and don't pull over, the cars will just pass you (over take you) when they get a chance." She said they won't run you over, run you down or get upset so take your time and drive safe.

My wife also followed me and I would look in my rear view and see pink buses on her tail, cars etc. So I would pull over and let them all pass on the first day. Finally my wife told me "don't worry about them I don't care" and we just took our time and drove the speed we wanted after that. We did have 8 cars behind us at one time and had no issues, they just passed (safely) around us when they had time.

One thing to remember is 7am - 9am and 5pm - 7pm has the highest traffic on the road. You can try to avoid driving at those times if you don't want to be in much traffic.

Edited by hamlettm

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so snarky about this, but I did read OP's post where I saw that each single person rented a two person scooter. I was assuming that was because single person scooters had less ccs and less power than a two person scooter. As bf and I aren't exactly "small" people I think it's important to consider whether we could both get around on a scooter or not. I'm an experienced motorcylce passenger (it's our primary means of transportation May-Nov), but I don't feel comfortable operating a bike or scooter myself. Our bike is 650ccs and I'm not sure if we'd be able to get around on a 50cc scooter if we have to go 45 mph or go up some of the larger hills I saw in Bermuda last year. Since someone was offering to answer questions I thought I'd ask since bf is convinced that I'd have to get off the scooter if we had to go up a big hill (like the hill coming up from horseshoe bay...or something along those lines).

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so snarky about this, but I did read OP's post where I saw that each single person rented a two person scooter. I was assuming that was because single person scooters had less ccs and less power than a two person scooter. As bf and I aren't exactly "small" people I think it's important to consider whether we could both get around on a scooter or not. I'm an experienced motorcylce passenger (it's our primary means of transportation May-Nov), but I don't feel comfortable operating a bike or scooter myself. Our bike is 650ccs and I'm not sure if we'd be able to get around on a 50cc scooter if we have to go 45 mph or go up some of the larger hills I saw in Bermuda last year. Since someone was offering to answer questions I thought I'd ask since bf is convinced that I'd have to get off the scooter if we had to go up a big hill (like the hill coming up from horseshoe bay...or something along those lines).

When I used the ;), it was meant to "pull your leg"...after all you were the one who said that you don't listen to your bf, and I was just playing on that. Please try to be a little less sensitive.

You guys will be fine on one scooter, my wife and I rented TWO but decided to take just one of them one day when we went close to Horseshoe Beach. It did fine going up the big hills, it was a little slow but not that bad. =)

The rentals are fine as long as you realize you will be holding up others and you aren't intimidated by that. If staying on the island a scooter can be great for short trips but we stillrelyheavily on the bus and ferry for longer jaunts because they work so well.

The rentals are fine as long as you realize you will be holding up others and you aren't intimidated by that. If staying on the island a scooter can be great for short trips but we stillrelyheavily on the bus and ferry for longer jaunts because they work so well.

The first time we were on the island we used the Ferry and the bus. While it does work well, you still don't get the freedom you do with a scooter. For example, to go to the other end of the island from dockside using the fast ferry takes 45 minutes. Sometimes your sitting on the floor or standing during this ride.

However, if you take the Ferry to Hamilton you can shop and eat and then take your scooter from Hamilton to either end of the island rather quick and stop at locations you want on the way.

The bus system is horrible as it's hot and they stop at any stop someone is waiting.

So while the ferry and bus system is good, scooters are awesome for the freedom, wind, open air and fun!

When I used the ;), it was meant to "pull your leg"...after all you were the one who said that you don't listen to your bf, and I was just playing on that. Please try to be a little less sensitive.

Ok...I missed the smiley! I admit. I was being crabby. Still not sure what to do. Last year we did just fine on the bus/ferry, though I think it'd be nice to be able to see more of the island on a scooter, but hearing about all these accidents makes me nervous.

Ok...I missed the smiley! I admit. I was being crabby. Still not sure what to do. Last year we did just fine on the bus/ferry, though I think it'd be nice to be able to see more of the island on a scooter, but hearing about all these accidents makes me nervous.

My wife and I were also VERY nervous and almost didn't rent the scooters. We talked about it at least 20 times and finally decided to go for it. If you have experience with street bikes I would say rent them, you will be so happy you did I promise!

Hi all...just wanted to put my 2 cents in. My wife and I rented from Oleander cycle this passed week. Great experience and easy. I think the only way to go....BUT, as said the passing and the riding your tail can be scary. I felt as though the taxi drivers were purposely trying to force you to speed beyond your capabilities. They cut you off and I felt as though they were trying to make us wreck(maybe they feel they lost a fare). And there are always wrecks. My wife and I both felt as though the people of Bermuda are pissed that the port is at dockyard (a long way on narrow roads) from anything worthwhile. It is a long ride. The attitudes of the locals kept us from renting more than 1 day. Not much in Dock Yard to do and Hamilton is dead, but it is worth the scooter ride to find a beach not jammed with hundreds from the ship. Stay safe and ride at your own pace.

Jim

Most people living there are working and there are limited roads so a slow scooter with tourists can get old I'm sure. Agree that the bus/ferry system works best on BDA, scooter works well for short jaunts.

The close calls and actual accidents we see while staying in BDA are caused by tourists apparently not being alert or assuming they have the right of way.

Edited by blue_water

The first time we were on the island we used the Ferry and the bus. While it does work well, you still don't get the freedom you do with a scooter. For example, to go to the other end of the island from dockside using the fast ferry takes 45 minutes. Sometimes your sitting on the floor or standing during this ride.

However, if you take the Ferry to Hamilton you can shop and eat and then take your scooter from Hamilton to either end of the island rather quick and stop at locations you want on the way.

The bus system is horrible as it's hot and they stop at any stop someone is waiting.

So while the ferry and bus system is good, scooters are awesome for the freedom, wind, open air and fun!

All a matter of how you like to get around. Again, we use both when staying on the island as both work well in certain circumstances. But we also like to have a drink here or there and riding a governed scooter along south shore rd after hitting SI doesn't interest me. But they're great for a short ride to the beach or the store when staying along the shore rd. I would not want to drive in and around Hamilton at a busy time a scooter but that's me.

HUH?:confused:

I would hope that the bus would stop for someone who is waiting at a stop and not just whizz by.

Lol...:p

Yes the bus system is the best we've experienced anywhere other than Cancun which still doesn't compare.and the ferry is a great experience, how nice to enjoy a ride to Hamilton via water on a nice day!

• 1 month later...
Should you rent a scooter in Bermuda???

QUESTION 3: I’ve never had a motorcycle but I want to rent a scooter, what do you think?

ANSWER: This is a REALLY BAD idea and I don’t suggest it. Riding a scooter or a motorcycle on the street takes a LONG TIME to get use to and lots of skill. Adding this into a new city, new driving conditions and new terrain you don’t know all adds up to a bad idea.

After renting a scooter in Bermuda last week and one who has owned/rode several motorcycles including heavy Harley-Davidson touring bikes, I will agree 110% with the OP.

I had no problems but one easily could. If you think it would be "cute" or "fun" to rent/ride a scooter around Bermuda and have no experience with scooters or motorcycles, think about other activities or options. ;)

• 1 month later...

Mike, thanks for your thread. It's very informative. I'm wondering if you can answer something for me. I have scooter riding experience, however my partner doesn't. I want to rent ahead of time and once we get there, give her a chance to try it out. If you reserve a head of time and the person isn't comfortable driving it, will they still give you a refund? I'm not sure if you pay for it ahead of time or if you are just reserving it with a credit card.

Thanks in advance....

I contacted both elbow beach cycles and Oleanders and both said they would allow us to cancel without penalty if my partner is not comfortable. They don't want anyone on the road that isn't comfortable riding or passes their little test. The expectation is we would rent a double though, at least that's what elbow beach cycles said.