Amazon Cruise..Pros and Cons?

LuAnn

We are considering a cruise on Viking Ocean's Sea for the time frame of Xmas holidays in '17. It goes all the way up to Manus with several ports along the way as well. If you have done this type of cruise could you tell me what you liked and/or didn't like about it? I love animals and it looks like there are some amazing ones there (eg the pink dolphins). I take it that the weather would be hot and humid? What about mosquitos?...they do love to bite me!! :D

This cruise seems to be done mainly by the higher end cruise lines and the rates on the basic cabins on the Sea appear to be a good value based on what I see on other lines. Would appreciate your thoughts! LuAnn

Did the Amazon on the Prinsendam from late 11/24 - 12/19 so similar time frame. We brought lots of insect repellent but did not use a lot. No one we talked to ever saw a mosquito or was bitten. That is toward the end of the dry season, probably one reason for the lack of bugs.

What I liked--going to new, exotic places. Seeing different wildlife, though these cruises do not get to into the real jungle, even if you do the overnight from Manaus. Our captain turned off most of the outdoor lights, partly to discourage moths and such from taking up residence. Apparently on one cruise a few years ago a vampire bat got on board. Do go up to the upper decks early in the morning and see what has landed. The fun thing about the decks being pretty dark was that you could really stargaze. Be sure to go to the fish market in Santarem or Manaus

What I didn't like--you do need to be prepared for the laundry blackout, at least the self service laundry. When ships are in the Amazon they cannot process water so they have to conserve. Apparently pools are even sometimes closed though ours was not. Some is piped aboard in some ports or possibly they are able to process again when going to Alter do Chao. Be prepared to be hot!

Did the Amazon on the Prinsendam from late 11/24 - 12/19 so similar time frame. We brought lots of insect repellent but did not use a lot. No one we talked to ever saw a mosquito or was bitten. That is toward the end of the dry season, probably one reason for the lack of bugs.

What I liked--going to new, exotic places. Seeing different wildlife, though these cruises do not get to into the real jungle, even if you do the overnight from Manaus. Our captain turned off most of the outdoor lights, partly to discourage moths and such from taking up residence. Apparently on one cruise a few years ago a vampire bat got on board. Do go up to the upper decks early in the morning and see what has landed. The fun thing about the decks being pretty dark was that you could really stargaze. Be sure to go to the fish market in Santarem or Manaus

What I didn't like--you do need to be prepared for the laundry blackout, at least the self service laundry. When ships are in the Amazon they cannot process water so they have to conserve. Apparently pools are even sometimes closed though ours was not. Some is piped aboard in some ports or possibly they are able to process again when going to Alter do Chao. Be prepared to be hot!

What do you consider hot? :) Is the fish market early in the AM? LuAnn

Not sure of the temps, but very muggy.

The fish market is best in the morning. We missed going to the one in Santarem and did not get to the one in Manaus until too late to see much. Those who went to the one in Santarem said there were lots of interesting fish.

We were on the Prinsendam in late Nov. Dec in 2012. to the Amazon. Actually we sailed with mcmarya in November 2014 on the Incan Empire Cruise! We were very liberal with insect repellent, and had no problems We also had the yellow fever vaccination and took the full course of anti malarial drug Malarone (not sure of spelling) contact your travel doctor before you go for shots and info. It was hot and humid...we drank a lot of water!

The river was low because the rainy season was late, and we couldn't see the giant water lily pads, but everything else made up for that! The Amazon was unique and exciting. We had violent thunderstorms at night. The river traffic was fascinating, as it is the road of the region. Manaus was incredible...we did a city tour to the opera house and fish market....just amazing! Don't miss the Boi Bumba show in Parintins....you could only buy tickets on the ship, we waited by the door and were rewarded with front row seats...it was a mind blowing explosion of singing and dancing. In Santarem we did Pirranah fishing, but most incredible was as the ship leaving around 8 PM, the city was having a festival at the church, and the lights and music across the black water was memorable.

Probably the high point was the village of Boca da Valeria, where the villagers waited with their handicrafts and creatures from the forest.. you gave the children a dollar for pictures and if you went into a hut, $5. I climbed the ladder to a hut of a lady who was so proud of her garden and the sewing machine she used to make her handicrafts. I bought a rag rug from her...she took it off the wall...I have it displayed in my home now, and treasure the experience of being with the villagers.

We had hundreds of large black beetles (harmless) all over the decks one morning. We did see pink dolphins, but most of the wild life was deep in the jungle. Cruising the Amazon was an amazing experience, and I am so glad we did it.

Hope you will be able to go, you won't regret it.

Don't miss the Boi Bumba show in Parintins....you could only buy tickets on the ship, we waited by the door and were rewarded with front row seats...it was a mind blowing explosion of singing and dancing. .

Do note that the authentic folkloric Festival do Boi Bumba takes place in Parintins at the end of June, a huge and crowded spectacular, at the same time as the traditional Bumba Meu Boi in São Luis and the Sao Joao festivals across the northeast of the country with traditional quadrilha dancing.

The show you witnessed is one put on for tourists, when the locals know a ship is going to be in town or such, and perhaps more similar in spirit to something you might find in Las Vegas.

Vida Na Praia, I realize the Boi Bumba show is put on for the cruise ships...not everyone can be there for the authentic festival in June. The costumes were similar to the ones we saw earlier in the day at the warehouse in Parintins, and we enjoyed the spirit and enthusiasm of the show.

Boca Da Valeria is also a tourist stop, but important for the villagers as a revenue source, and very memorable for me.

We cruised along the Amazon Feb/March this year., no problems with mossies because of the acidity of the Amazon water. Lots of beetles and moths land on the ship overnight, you have to be up early in the morning to see them, before the crew start washing down the decks. Wild life is much deeper in the jungle than most tours take you, although rescued animals can be viewed at the Army zoo in Manaus. Parintins Boi Bumba presentation for tourists- most people find this good BUT everyone says it is spoiled by the number of people holding up Ipads etc to video the show and blocking peoples views. Our visit to Boca da Valeria was cancelled, there have been complaints about children with animals, extra people/traders being bussed in to the village etc etc (although we did speak to people who had been before and they said the small canoe trips done by the villagers were good value) people who did the overnight in the jungle lodges at Manaus were disappointed with standard of the tours there. Manaus and Santarem were great ...we used private guides in both places, expensive but worth the money as we weren't herded en mass into large tour boats. We stopped at a traditional Indian village along from Manaus, only to see all the kids sat at a long table on their iPads as soon as our visit was over, Manaus is a hi tech place and there is so much history and things to see an overnight is not long enough

Sandy in Spain

We are considering a cruise on Viking Ocean's Sea for the time frame of Xmas holidays in '17. It goes all the way up to Manus with several ports along the way as well. If you have done this type of cruise could you tell me what you liked and/or didn't like about it? I love animals and it looks like there are some amazing ones there (eg the pink dolphins). I take it that the weather would be hot and humid? What about mosquitos? ... they do love to bite me!! This cruise seems to be done mainly by the higher end cruise lines and the rates on the basic cabins on the Sea appear to be a good value based on what I see on other lines. Would appreciate your thoughts! LuAnn

Appreciate your good questions and interest for exploring the amazing Amazon. Yes, there are pro/con factors to consider!! The Amazon is not for everyone and there are challenges in getting the right ship/deal for doing this long journey.

Below is a link to my live/blog that has so many different pictures and details for many of key locations along the Amazon River, including for Manaus and Boi Bumba show. Yes, Boi Bumba is a bit touristic and we were a little doubtful for doing. But, from doing this program, we were really pleased in seeing the performance, meeting and talking with their dancers, singers, etc. We did a significant mix of ship tours, independently-scheduled guides, walking around on our own, etc. We were very well pleased with the overall experience, what we saw, the samplings of nature and history, etc. So many different amazing sights, architecture delights, people-watching, wildlife, etc.

Yes, saw the fun pink dolphins. No mosquito problems because as noted with the acid in the water, etc.

Go to my live/blog and check the details in many wonderful locations. Post any AND ALL questions on that live/blog. Happy to share more, more added information, etc.

Need more visual evidence as "proof" for what we did and loved?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,469 views for these postings.

From our very interesting visit to the small and totally-isolated river village of Boca da Valeria along the Amazon River, it was a very moving experience that reminded us how very, very fortunate so many of us, especially those on this ship, are to have great many life options and experiences. There was a single electric line running down the middle of the dirt path in this village and the two homes with satellite dishes, but things were overall fairly primitive. There were lots of children begging for "one dollar", plus a local dressed up in costume ready to pose for pictures. Some of the children had small animals to add to the appeal and local color. Below is one example of Chris from Philadelphia with one of the local girls there. From advance reading/research on these CC boards, I knew to bring extra dollars, plus pens, pencils, gifts for the school, items for the the kids, etc.:

FebAmazPixBB13_zps8li8pico.jpg

While stopped at Santarem along the amazing Amazon River, we had our charter/private boat arranged in advance. We headed into the back-water Amazon regions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Our skilled Amazon guide Gil Serique was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. We saw lots of special birds, unique animals, flowers, giant water lilies, etc., during this adventure exploration.:

FebAmazPixA14%201_zpswzwufcpx.jpg

Here is just one view that offers only a small sampling for what we experienced and enjoyed at this Parintins “Boi Bumba” program. Lots of the story involves the white bull and the relationships with the young lady. Are not the costume wonderful??? Large cast, lots of upbeat music, large "action figures" coming out, etc. Parintins is situated in the largest river archipelago of the mid-Amazon. This area is rich in centuries-old Indian culture and celebrates an annual “Boi Bumba” festival. The yearly folkloric festival, considered second only to Carnival in Rio, is held in June. For cruise ship visitors, the townspeople re-enact this festival for visitors throughout the year. From Cory Sandler, our destination consultant, what we saw is not exactly the full, real deal as done in their larger stadium with the shouting crowds. BUT, we loved the music, dancing, costumes, excitement, etc. It was not cheap at $149 per person, but my wife and others really enjoyed this sampling for a little bit of the Brazil carnival spirit and style. Of our 179 passengers on the Silver Cloud, there were 80 attending this program.:

FebAmazShowA3_zpsjjbqx7wx.jpg

Don't miss the famed Opera House in Manaus, especially its interior. Here is just one of my visuals as an example. It is said that based on what it cost to build it in the late 1890's, the expenses from importing all of the various materials, etc., that it would total up to a total price tag of ONE BILLION DOLLARS in today's money. Very lavish!! They did a nice restoration of its exterior and interiors during recent years. Looks great. BUT, for all of these costs, it only seats 701.:

FebAmazPixBB45_zpsab2cx6pj.jpg

With all of your time in Manaus, do not miss seeing a range of the interesting activities at their various markets. This includes for those dealing with wholesale fish, produce, etc. Shown is an example from the fish market that was so much fun to experience, sample the human interactions, etc. Lots of "real people" at these markets.:

ManausRealLifeA19_zpscxmhgkyt.jpg

This one visual says it all for the "Indiana Jones" experience we were enjoying as if we were in search of some South American hidden treasure during our hiking in this remote wilderness area about 60 miles north of Manus. Lots of varied nature views and scenic angles, etc., during this walk in the actual Amazon jungle.:

FebAmazRainForA25_zpsvglzgamz.jpg

Thank you so much for your input and photos!! It does look amazing!! (Amazon...get it!!:cool::p)

Believe it or not I have a small parrot.."Frito"...who is 24 and looks very much like the one in your pic TLCOhio!!...but he has an orange beek and an orange chest...a cousin perhaps??

Our friends have decided not to do this cruise...and TBH...with my DH turning 80 this week I've a little bit afraid of going far afield without a "support system"...have already experienced an on the spot pacemaker implanted in an emergency situation on a cruise and a fall with him...so just might take a pass...but still on my radar!!

We are lucky enough to have sailed really all over the world the last 11 years and may be time to "fold the tent" a little...and stay closer to home and/or great medical care when and if needed...we shall see! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

Thank you so much for your input and photos!! It does look amazing!! (Amazon...get it!! Believe it or not I have a small parrot.."Frito"...who is 24 and looks very much like the one in your pic TLCOhio!!...but he has an orange beek and an orange chest...a cousin perhaps?? Our friends have decided not to do this cruise...and TBH...with my DH turning 80 this week I've a little bit afraid of going far afield without a "support system"...have already experienced an on the spot pacemaker implanted in an emergency situation on a cruise and a fall with him...so just might take a pass...but still on my radar!! We are lucky enough to have sailed really all over the world the last 11 years and may be time to "fold the tent" a little...and stay closer to home and/or great medical care when and if needed...we shall see! LuAnn

Appreciate the kind follow-up from LuAnn and the update on your changing plans/situation. Too bad, for now, that this "adventure" does not seem on the immediate to-do list. But, maybe things will change and/or that this information will be of value for others.

Just for fun and planning purposes, below are a few additional visual highlights from the Amazon and nearby. Let us know any added questions and/or information needs.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 149,699 views for this posting.

Be out on the top decks to see various views, on BOTH sides, of the ship as you sail along the wide and amazing Amazon River. This includes an example here with the sunset view from our ship as we were departing Manaus to sail east towards the Atlantic Ocean.:

DepartAmazonA7_zpsv9kaqm2n.jpg

From the fish market area in Santarem, we got great views of the “action show” featuring the pink dolphins that are famous in this region. Here is one of my visual samples. Very cute and active!! Santarem is where the dark gray River Tapajos joins the brown Amazon Amazon. It is called the "Meeting of the Waters" and it is amazing to see how long these two types of waters stay distinct.:

FebAmazPixA2%201_zpsven0y9zw.jpg

Sloths? Yes, we got to see how these unique creatures hide high in the trees near Santarem. Plus, notice how unique are their back coats? :

FebAmazPixA25_zpsuqsrokoi.jpg

Here are a couple more of the shore examples for life here along the Amazon River. Remember that there are virtually no highways to connect most of the towns and supply their needs in this fast region. The rivers are the highways. Only by water or air can things be delivered, moved, etc. Lots of large barges are used to move building materials, goods, etc., around. This river-connection is also reflected by one of the ships used to transportation area residents where the "rooms" have great views, balconies, but no walls. People will sleep in the hammocks, outdoors, etc.! Fully air conditioned, naturally!!:

FebAmazPixA28_zpsdvaslfm7.jpg

FebAmazPixA29_zpsrwgsrcub.jpg

Here was our first sights of Manaus area. This is the industrial area east of this large city of about two million people. In the background, you can see the 12,500' bridge that was opened in October 2011 to cross the Rio Negro. This dramatic bridges connects to towns south of Manaus, but not to any other locations or cities in the main, more populated areas of Brazil.:

FebAmazPixBB31_zpsnm4imgoc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We are seriously looking at the Viking Amazon cruise Dec '17 as well. I just looked through your blog TLCOhio and really enjoyed all that you offered up. I would very much appreciate hearing from you regarding where you would recommend private tours vs ship excursions. We typically enjoy private tours much more, however it is difficult on this itinerary to determine where it makes sense to jump on a bus with an excursion to get to the destination, then explore independently vs private all the way. Any input or suggestions around that would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Edited by Vineyard View

We are seriously looking at the Viking Amazon cruise Dec '17 as well. I just looked through your blog TLCOhio and really enjoyed all that you offered up. I would very much appreciate hearing from you regarding where you would recommend private tours vs ship excursions. We typically enjoy private tours much more, however it is difficult on this itinerary to determine where it makes sense to jump on a bus with an excursion to get to the destination, then explore independently vs private all the way. Any input or suggestions around that would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Appreciate your nice comments and very good follow-up question. The right, best answer? It depends!! Why? It depends on each different city/port/specific location. If like us, in Manaus, you will have more time and options there to see and do versus some other ports where you only be there a few hours. Then, there is the question of your personal interests, travel style, etc. Tell me more and I can make some better suggestions, including knowing more on your "budget flexibility". More money, more/better options and potentials!!

Here was our approach: For each port, we looked at what options the ship offered, that cost, etc. In some cases those cruise ship options were "good enough" and easy to do/set-up at a reasonable price. For a couple of key objectives, in Manaus and Santsarem, we wanted to get more "in-depth" and closer to the unique natural sights and locations that are related to the amazing Amazon River. For both areas, I did some TripAdvisor and Google searching for private tour options, communicated with several high-ranked guide folks and picked some options based on what they offered, how responsive they were to my questions, etc.

In Santsarem near where the dark gray River Tapajos joins the brown Amazon Amazon, also called the "Meeting of the Waters", I lined up with Amazon guide Gil Serique as our private guide for the day. As I detailed on my live/blog, he is a real local who knows the region and has a super love for life, sharing, etc. We experienced so much more of the natural, wildlife and very back-water regions. Worked super well. In Manaus, we did a private "adventure" about 60 miles north of Manaus.

For some things in Manaus and at a couple of others locations, we did some exploring on our own and that worked very well, too. So much depends on the ports, what you want to do there, etc. Overall, it is a COMBINATION to do the researching and figuring your options, what fits vest for your personal needs and interests. Each port is different. One size or approach does not fit or work for each different location.

Added questions and info needs? Happy to share more.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

Now at 40,903 views for these postings.

Thank you Terry in Ohio!

Your approach is very similar to ours....look at offered excursions, see whether any are of interest to us (or alternatively of interest enough to hire a private experience), as well as those that will get us where we want to go. TrupAdviser and Google are good friends for my research.

I am very active daily...when traveling my DH isn't quite as much, but he loves exploring. So we generally do a LOT of walking and are pretty open to activities that will keep us busy - and while I love good hikes DH has limitations with a lot of elevation change.

So looking at the pictures of your jungle walk to waterfalls really interests me/us and I would love to look into that. The private small boat as well. We have an overnight in Manaus

In Santarem will you need to take an excursion to see the changing of waters rather than being able to while sailing? It sounds like your small boat excursion was something we would very much enjoy.

I will want to also discover which port will be best to give up activities for exploring some authentic gifts/art/masks to bring home.

Our Other Amazon ports include Parintins & Belem.

Thanks again!

Thank you Terry in Ohio! Your approach is very similar to ours....look at offered excursions, see whether any are of interest to us (or alternatively of interest enough to hire a private experience), as well as those that will get us where we want to go. TrupAdviser and Google are good friends for my research. In Santarem will you need to take an excursion to see the changing of waters rather than being able to while sailing? It sounds like your small boat excursion was something we would very much enjoy. I will want to also discover which port will be best to give up activities for exploring some authentic gifts/art/masks to bring home. Our Other Amazon ports include Parintins & Belem.

Appreciate follow-up and nice comments. Glad that "great minds" think alike in approaching such travel planning/research!! We did not visit Belem, nor was I searching that much for any gifts/art/masks. Sorry.

For the small town of Parintins on Tupinambarana Island, the main "thing" is their dance program. Parintins is situated in the largest river archipelago of the mid-Amazon. This area is rich in centuries-old Indian culture and celebrates an annual “Boi Bumba” festival. The yearly folkloric festival, considered second only to Carnival in Rio, is held in June. For cruise ship visitors, the townspeople re-enact this festival for visitors throughout the year.

Per our ship's destination consultant, what we saw is not exactly the full, real deal as done in their larger stadium with the shouting crowds. BUT, we loved the music, dancing, costumes, excitement, etc. It was not cheap at $149 per person, but my wife and others really enjoyed this sampling for a little bit of the Brazil carnival spirit and style. Of our 179 passengers on the Silver Cloud, there were 80 attending this program.

For the changing of waters, we could see some of "that" from the ship. Maybe we would have gotten a little closer by taking a special excursion to be a little closer and lower to the water. Worth it??

At Santsarem, we really enjoyed getting back in the narrow waterways and seeing more of nature and wildlife up close and personal. Below are more of visual samples as "proof"!!

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 18,412 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is more from the back-water Amazon regions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Gil was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. We also saw a number of housing structures, etc. Like the iguana shown on the tree branch below? My Nikon D7100 did well, helped by using a 55-300mm Nikkor lens.:

FebAmazPixA10%201_zps9cq6afsm.jpg

FebAmazPixA9%201_zpsvpaotab5.jpg

FebAmazPixA13%201_zpsegmavodq.jpg

Here are more samples for the range of varied and interesting sights with Gil doing the hidden and narrow waterways of the Amazon. This range of activities included a kingfisher bird (as I recall the name), greenery/flowery sights and a water buffalo doing his daily dining.:

FebAmazPixA12%201_zpswuxyjc6h.jpg

FebAmazPixA20_zpsrdel9a4f.jpg

FebAmazPixA15%201_zpsjqmjrwkm.jpg

Great stuff, Terry! Thanks for the photos and info about the Amazon area.

My FIL and I are booked and raring to go on the Prinsendam in Nov/Dec 2016. We are already booked with Gil Serique and another private tour operator in Manaus and have just booked HALs tour out of Macapa to see the Marco Zero Monument. HAL is advertising the Parintins "Boi Bumba" tour at $99 per person so it'll be interesting to see if the program is as good.

Got our visas in good time and order from Brazil so we are just left with planning our packing. Any suggestions for clothing, photo equipment and bug repellent options?

Edited by 0bnxshs

Any suggestions for clothing, photo equipment and bug repellent options?

Same as at home in Central Florida. Leave expensive photo equipment on the ship when walking out alone in downtown Manaus. Take a small camera that you can tuck away easily and don't wear jewelry. The market area close to the pier is very busy with tightly arranged stalls. Fascinating!

Obnxshs- Prinsdam should be a good sized ship for this trip!

Curious as to whether you have a guaranteed maximum of people on the private tours you have scheduled? I have read that some tour companies, when cruise ships are in, are increasing the number of people they are including on the tours? I am trying to secure some private/small group tours in some of the ports - so any advise or input would be appreciated!

Thanks much!!

And as much as I hate DEET, I think it might be packed for the Amazon as it was for Africa. As well as Exofficio Bugsaway pants/shorts. I would love to hear that I am wrong.

Great stuff, Terry! Thanks for the photos and info about the Amazon area. My FIL and I are booked and raring to go on the Prinsendam in Nov/Dec 2016. We are already booked with Gil Serique and another private tour operator in Manaus and have just booked HALs tour out of Macapa to see the Marco Zero Monument. HAL is advertising the Parintins "Boi Bumba" tour at $99 per person so it'll be interesting to see if the program is as good. Got our visas in good time and order from Brazil so we are just left with planning our packing. Any suggestions for clothing, photo equipment and bug repellent options?

Floridiana: Same as at home in Central Florida. Leave expensive photo equipment on the ship when walking out alone in downtown Manaus. Take a small camera that you can tuck away easily and don't wear jewelry. The market area close to the pier is very busy with tightly arranged stalls. Fascinating!

Appreciate the wonderful follow-up from Rich in Central Florida. Excellent that you set up with Gil' date=' plus have another private tour operator for Manaus. Since your ship is larger, the Parintins "Boi Bumba" tour at $99 works out to be a better "value". Your [b']show should be very similar to what we super enjoyed[/b]. Yes, have and use your bug spray, but things did not seem too bad for us. For us, things were warm, but we managed things fairly well.

Agree with Floridiana about not doing too much jewelry in large cities such as Manaus. I was around and all over Manaus with my camera equipment and did not sense any problems or dangers. This included for the market areas, street shopping sidewalks, etc. As always, be "alert" and watchful.

Below are a few more visual eye-candy treats.

Look forward to any added questions, etc.

Now at 41,078 views for these postings.

In this wholesale produce market, there was lots of "action" as large bags needed to be moved around in these large, tight quarters. Lots of people were here, adding the excitement for this "show" and fun experience.:

ManausRealLifeA18_zpscivaut82.jpg

YES, we have bananas!! Here are two of my photo examples to prove the interesting visuals for seeing such large trucks loaded with green bananas that came here by truck from the northern areas of Brazil. AND, these bananas came to this market still on their large wooded stocks!:

ManausRealLifeA16_zpsu2b7qk8u.jpg

ManausRealLifeA15_zpsxpsvnacs.jpg

And, melons? Lots and lots of them here, too! And big ones! This whole market area is large and very vast.:

ManausRealLifeA17_zpswu3xllmo.jpg

When returning to the main town of Santarem, here was one of the tour boats used by most on our ship. Larger boat, but not able to get back into the smaller, narrow waterways that we experienced and super enjoyed. We enjoyed our unique nature experience much better.:

FebAmazPixA27_zpscmnhwhjn.jpg

As we arrived back on shore at Santarem, here is my photo to prove that we had a great time. You can see Gil (with his beard), our boat owner/driver and my wife giving the thumbs up signal. Notice how brown, brown is the water?:

FebAmazPixA30_zpsb3n1arnl.jpg

We carry a PacSafe camera strap with us to places of concern - it is easy to swap out with regular strap. More bulky and heavier, bit a no slash & grab guarantee.

We also carry our small Canon for back up when we don't feel like taking the SLR. It's always good to plan for the unexpected......including mosquitos in places we would hope would not be!

Great pictures. It will be an amazing place in our world to explore!

Love the touring tips! Thank you!

Your advise Floridiana is solid for travel anywhere! ( We have QVC wedding rings for travel to certain areas in the world!)-

being on a ship tho offers the advantage of having a safe in the cabin to use as an alternative.

Good reminder!

Edited by Vineyard View

Obnxshs- Prinsdam should be a good sized ship for this trip!

Curious as to whether you have a guaranteed maximum of people on the private tours you have scheduled? I have read that some tour companies, when cruise ships are in, are increasing the number of people they are including on the tours? I am trying to secure some private/small group tours in some of the ports - so any advise or input would be appreciated!

Thanks much!!

And as much as I hate DEET, I think it might be packed for the Amazon as it was for Africa. As well as Exofficio Bugsaway pants/shorts. I would love to hear that I am wrong.

Gil Serique has told us he has multiple small boats available for use so that while he hasn't limited our numbers yet, he has promised us the small boat experiences like Terry describes and has photos of here.

As for Manaus, one of our roll call members has been working with Herman of Oropendola Tours. You can check him out via our planning website on the Manaus port page. He has 2 boats that accommodate 12 passengers each reserved for us, so we are limited to 24.

We'll surely have DEET with us too.