getting in and out of the pool?

Maddie444

Can someone tell me if there are steps to get into the main pool or the spa pool or are there just ladders to get in and out? I am an older person who has trouble getting out of the pool with a ladder.

Thank you for any info you can give me.:)

Can someone tell me if there are steps to get into the main pool or the spa pool or are there just ladders to get in and out? I am an older person who has trouble getting out of the pool with a ladder.

What. Ship? Most main pools are ladders.

Epic spa has a ladder. GA, BA, Escape spa has steps. Lap pools in the spas on small ships have ladders.

There are so many variations, the boat name may get you a specific set of answers.

Agreed, but on at least all of the ships I have been on, the main pool has steps of some sort. Unfortunately, the supposedly adult only, deeper pool only has ladders.

Sorry about that I will be on the NCL Gem

Just ladders on the deeper, adults-only pool. I've never been in the other pool, the one in which kids are allowed, but I'm sure others have and can answer. (Given that it's under the slide and kids are allowed, I'm going to guess there are steps, but that's just a guess.)

Just ladders on the deeper, adults-only pool. I've never been in the other pool, the one in which kids are allowed, but I'm sure others have and can answer. (Given that it's under the slide and kids are allowed, I'm going to guess there are steps, but that's just a guess.)

Actually there are are steps in the adult pool on the Gem (unless they were removed during the dry dock in 2015 which is unlikely). I had a knee injury when we last cruised on the Gem and was relieved to find steps with a railing. They are in a corner of the pool on the same side as the hot tubs. We're just off the Jade a few weeks ago and the adult pool had the same steps.

Actually there are are steps in the adult pool on the Gem (unless they were removed during the dry dock in 2015 which is unlikely). I had a knee injury when we last cruised on the Gem and was relieved to find steps with a railing. They are in a corner of the pool on the same side as the hot tubs. We're just off the Jade a few weeks ago and the adult pool had the same steps.

Now that you say that, I think I was wrong...Sun I KNOW only has ladders....sorry for spreading misinformation.

I think that before anyone can answer this someone needs to define "pool".

On most ships the main pool has a shallow area maybe 12 inches deep that surrounds a real pool. There are steps into the shallow area, but only ladders out of the pool part. I don't think on any of teh dozen or so ships I have been on that I have ever seen steps to the bottom of a pool, only ladders.

I have been on the gem over 10 times and never saw steps in the adult pool-anyone have a picture?

I have been on the gem over 10 times and never saw steps in the adult pool-anyone have a picture?

The adult pool on the Gem has ladders only. The family pool has steps. I used that one because my knees can't do the ladders anymore. The steps are on the opposite side from where the slide empties into the pool.

• 2 months later...

Just back from Gem and Zippeedee is correct. The pool closest to the stern has steps down to the pool. The pool closest to the bow has only ladders. The forward pool is labeled adult only. I am sorry for any confusion I may have brought to this conversation. On the other ships I have been on, the rear pool has always been the adult pool.

this is a huge problem for hubby and me as well. We are older, do not have the strength in our legs needed to use the ladder, but there is usually at least one pool that hs steps or a ramp. The adult pool is the one that does not believe it or not. We have sailed almost every NCL ship, we just use the pool that does have some steps. If you look at the pictures of the various ships you can see where the step pools are..

• 7 months later...

We certainly feel your pain: we too are older, hubby sometimes uses his walker and no way can we use the ladders. Most of the pools, main ones anyway have either a ramp or steps with a railing so it is no problem. The biggest problem we have found and it makes no sense is the adult pools. They do not have anything except ladders. I have never understood that one. As for the spa, we have only used the Spa on one ship, I think it was the Dawn. Their pool had only ladders. This was about 5 years ago when we were more mobile and we still had some problems. Hope this helps you some. At least you will know ahead of time what to expect.

I need graduated steps too, due to knee replacement and ongoing mobility with my knees.

I did those steps to the swimming pool on the Spirit, admittedly slowly as they can be slippy, and you don’t want to feel rushed. Also the steps and decking are plastic so hot hot hot!! We picked a port day. I found it hard to get up the 5 steps to the jacuzzi, took my flip flops and ditched them at the top, sat down and swung in! Bliss!

Talking of Bliss, we are booked on there May 10th, 2018. I have a funny feeling the steps aren’t graduated on either deck pools. Thank goodness for the Mandara Spa pool!!

Any thoughts? x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a pool lift on the star's main pool. The pool lift is removable. ( I saw some engineers working/ testing/ installing the pool lift in Feb/Mar 2017)

I guess you can ask the crew if you need it to get into the pool.

Not sure about other ncl ship though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think on any of teh dozen or so ships I have been on that I have ever seen steps to the bottom of a pool, only ladders.

The Star certainly has stairs/steps (with railing) into the deep part of the main pool. I've been using them the past 2 weeks and will again today.

Breakaway has ladders, but has a special chair lift there for folks that need it. Never saw it in use, but I am sure they would help anyone in and out on request, there was always someone keeping an eye on swimmers. In Caribbean pool was always a comfy 85 degrees, it seemed.