Long Bay vs. Valley Church/Jolly Beach- Please Help!

berjdrberjdr

Hi, I recently posted on this board a few weeks ago. We are in the process of planning our day in Antigua the end of December and definitely want to do stingray city in the morning and then a beach. Two of the best beaches people talk about are Long Bay beach and Valley Church/Jolly Beach. I realize they are on opposite ends of the island, but if possible I would really like to hear people's opinions of them, and which is recommended more for a family of four. I have narrowed it down to these two beaches. I would really appreciate any input as soon as possible. Thanks!

Hi!

I've been to Antigua on a cruise stop once previously, about 3 years ago. We went to Turner's Beach - so I can't help with input on the beaches you're interested in. Sorry. But I would suggest that you check the Frommer's travel website. I used them to choose a beach for our day there. You may find it a little helpful. Hope you enjoy your day there!

Jeanne

Be aware that Valley Church and Jolly Beach are not the same beach. They are close to each other, but are separated by a rocky protrusion into the bay so it is not possible to walk from one to the other. Jolly Beach is much more developed with restaurants and hotels while Valley Church is less developed with one or two places for chairs/umbrellas and drinks. Both have beautiful water and neither is a bad choice. Since Jolly Beach is built up, the public access to the beach can be a little tricky to find - about halfway up the beach by Castaways, but once you get there you will love it.

Hi, I recently posted on this board a few weeks ago. We are in the process of planning our day in Antigua the end of December and definitely want to do stingray city in the morning and then a beach. Two of the best beaches people talk about are Long Bay beach and Valley Church/Jolly Beach. I realize they are on opposite ends of the island, but if possible I would really like to hear people's opinions of them, and which is recommended more for a family of four. I have narrowed it down to these two beaches. I would really appreciate any input as soon as possible. Thanks!

We are trying to figure this out for next week and yes we too are having trouble deciding. Seems to be not as much chatter for Antigua as other islands and things to do.

We've done Jolly Beach a few years back and loved it! Next month our ship has a stop in Antigus so we will return for a beach day. It's beautiful!!!!

Thanks for the replies. We will be taking the bus service to either Jolly or Valley Church around 12, do you think we will have any issue getting a bus or taxi back to port? I am a bit concerned that many vans/taxis will be full or busy around the return time (4:30 pm).

Thanks for the replies. We will be taking the bus service to either Jolly or Valley Church around 12, do you think we will have any issue getting a bus or taxi back to port? I am a bit concerned that many vans/taxis will be full or busy around the return time (4:30 pm).

I haven't been there in a few years now but lots of taxi's at Valley church beach for your return.

I took the local bus out and grabbed a taxi back the last time I was there.

We will be taking the bus service to either Jolly or Valley Church

Be aware that the bus will drop you off on the main road close to the beach (Valley Road). For Jolly Beach it is about a half mile walk to get to the public entrance of the beach. For Valley Church it is a short walk - less than a block - to get to the beach.

I see by the map that The Nest is on Valley Church Beach, but I can't see chairs or the like. Are there chairs and umbrellas available for rent anywhere around the restaurant?

Is there any decent snorkeling there? The beach just south of that, where Cocobay resort is also looks interesting, but I can't tell if they rent chairs or have any facilities at all for people. Does anyone know anything about these?

I see by the map that The Nest is on Valley Church Beach, but I can't see chairs or the like. Are there chairs and umbrellas available for rent anywhere around the restaurant?

Is there any decent snorkeling there? The beach just south of that, where Cocobay resort is also looks interesting, but I can't tell if they rent chairs or have any facilities at all for people. Does anyone know anything about these?

We were just at Valley Church beach in October. We took a taxi from the port. I believe it was about $20 per person/round trip for 2 people. The taxi driver stayed at the beach and we paid in full when we returned to the port.

Valley Church beach was beautiful - I liked it the best out of 6 port beaches. There was the little restaurant (The Nest, I believe). The food and drink were good. There were umbrellas and chairs for rent. I believe it was $40 for 2 chairs and 1 umbrella (may have been a free drink, but I'm not sure ;)).