Your favorite foods or liquor to take home uniquely from here?

kcdancerkc

• 4 weeks later...
Really nothing special (to eat or drink) on Bermuda except, perhaps, a fried fish on raisin bread sandwich (really, a local favorite).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of great things to eat in Bermuda! Bermuda Fish Chowder! Banana Fritters! Portuguese donuts (so good!). Bermuda Fish Sandwich. In the months from October to April, there are Bermuda Spiny Lobsters on the menu.

We usually go in July but I’ve heard Cassava Pie - a seasonal dish, is great.

But the OP asked about things to take home. Rum cake for sure. Goslings Rum. Outerbridges Sherry Peppers to spice up soups, stews and gravies. It’s the secret ingredient in my onion soup. [emoji6]. Also Bermuda Jam Factory pepper jams - so good!

Most of these items can be bought at the shops out at Dockyard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lots of great things to eat in Bermuda! Bermuda Fish Chowder! Banana Fritters! Portuguese donuts (so good!). Bermuda Fish Sandwich. In the months from October to April, there are Bermuda Spiny Lobsters on the menu.

We usually go in July but I’ve heard Cassava Pie - a seasonal dish, is great.

But the OP asked about things to take home. Rum cake for sure. Goslings Rum. Outerbridges Sherry Peppers to spice up soups, stews and gravies. It’s the secret ingredient in my onion soup. [emoji6]. Also Bermuda Jam Factory pepper jams - so good!

Most of these items can be bought at the shops out at Dockyard.

Amazon.com: Outerbridges Sherry Peppers;

BevMo: Goslings Rum

Etc.

Why lug this stuff around when it can be delivered to your door?

Amazon.com: Outerbridges Sherry Peppers;

BevMo: Goslings Rum

Etc.

Why lug this stuff around when it can be delivered to your door?

Just answering the question. I thought that’s what we were all here for.

Bottle of sherry peppers weighs about 12oz, can easily be packed into a checked bag and there’s no shipping fee. When you use it you remember the awesome time you had in Bermuda instead of the 5 minutes on your computer.

Goslings Rum can be bought lots of places, but it’s a good deal duty free in Bermuda.

Life isn’t always just obtaining a product. But I guess some people just don’t understand the nuances.

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has had the experience or know of someone who has, ordered/tasted vegan rum cakes?

I want to bring a few home and could not find a bakery, yet, who can make these. I have sent off a few emails of inquiry and still awaiting responses.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bon voyage

Bermuda Gold and Swizzle Inn mix are pretty difficult to find stateside- don’t think I’ve ever seen them outside of Bermuda.

Anything Goslings can be bought at home inexpensively and isn’t worth the lugging you’ll have to do. It’s actually mostly distilled and produced in the US (although it’s blended and bottled in Bermuda for the most part).

The rum cakes aren’t bad but no different from anything else you’d find in the Caribbean. If they’re up your alley and you’re docked in the Dockyard go for it. We usually take cruises that dock in Hamilton so would never spend the $$ to go all the way to the Dockyard just for rum cakes.

I don’t recommend bringing them home but someone did mention the fish sandwich at Mel’s Spicey Dicey- it’s delicious and worth a trip to the island just for one. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! 97 days to go.....anyone know where the NCL Escape will dock.....? :cool:

I know we are going to have 2.5 days here, but will also check the website that shows where we park lol.

Any other favorite foods special to the island that you can eat while there?

Thanks! 97 days to go.....anyone know where the NCL Escape will dock.....? :cool:

I know we are going to have 2.5 days here, but will also check the website that shows where we park lol.

Any other favorite foods special to the island that you can eat while there?

The Escape will dock at Dockyard, which is at the West End of the island. For reference Hamilton, the capital is approximately in the center and St George, the original settlement and UNESCO World Heritage site is on the East End.

There are 2 wharfs next to each other. The Escape will be at Heritage Wharf.

There is a lot to do right from Dockyard - water sports, shopping, the Bermuda National Museum complex, shuttles to Horseshoe Bay beach, several bars and restaurants, the Rum Cake factory, the Glassworks - all within walking distance. Most tours leave from there. Ferries run to Hamilton and St George. The public transportation system is great and the locals will be happy to help you with directions.

As far as food, I like the fish chowder as well as the fish sandwich. Many run to the Swizzle Inn for a Rum Swizzle, but all the bars serve them. I also like a Dark and Stormy - rum and ginger beer.

If you like fish, it’s always fresh and delicious. September to April is spiny lobster season. Those are the highlights from my POV. I’m sure others have their favorites as well.

Just answering the question. I thought that’s what we were all here for.

Bottle of sherry peppers weighs about 12oz, can easily be packed into a checked bag and there’s no shipping fee. When you use it you remember the awesome time you had in Bermuda instead of the 5 minutes on your computer.

Goslings Rum can be bought lots of places, but it’s a good deal duty free in Bermuda.

Life isn’t always just obtaining a product. But I guess some people just don’t understand the nuances.

You can purchase the higher alcohol content Gosslings rum near you? I haven’t seen it.

• 2 months later...

We always bring home rum cakes that we purchase at the dockyard. I also like to buy a piece of jewelry made from the pink sand or sea glass. Goslings rum is the same price at home as it is on the island

It is a microbrewery at the Frog and Onion pub. I don't think so, I have not seen bottles or crawlers but I never inquired.

Thank you for the info! Heading there in a couple of weeks and would like to bring back some of their beers if possible. Will look to see if they sell any to go.

We have had many, many tortuga rum cakes in the Caribbean. Love it...so moist.

However recently in Cozumel we grabed a different brand there, it was ok but not as good as the other.

How are the rum cakes here if comparing to Tortuga?

I know that this is subjective, killing time during countdown. :cool: