Thoughts and ideas to make your Carnival Cruise easier and better

AmBear

1. If you want to pack lighter and have less luggage to drag around, buy a small thing of tide pods and do some laundry on the ship. Some may say "Not while I am on vacation," but a few hours in the laundry room might save you $60-$90 in airline fees for extra carry-on baggage.
  2. If you don't buy a drink package, and you are sick of water, lemonade, or ice tea, you can make a delicious drink called an Arnold Palmer. Just mix equal amounts of ice tea and lemonade over ice. It is less bitter than the iced tea, but not overly sweat and sour like lemonade gets after a while. :cool:
  3. If you are sharing your stateroom with others, or even just one person, showering can become problematic if you are in a rush. The spa often shares the locker-room with the fitness center, and you do NOT need to buy a spa pass to use the showers there, and they are a bit more roomy than the stateroom showers. (I am not referring to the ones INSIDE the spa, but the locker room.) This is not a good tip however if far away from the spa.
  4. At the buffet, I grab a silverware roll and just drop it in my pocket before I go through the line. This gives me two hands to carry my plate and get my food.
  5. Over the Counter Medical Stuff: cut my toe open really bad while snorkeling, or before snorkeling actually. The price of the antibiotic ointment (generic Bacitracin) and band-aids was a lot higher in the Fun-Shops than down in the infirmary, and they could still charge my S&S account. I assume the same is true for other generic OTC meds, but your mileage may vary.

I love the idea earlier about getting a cup to organize your keys, etc while stored in the safe! Great idea!:D

God point,,,My pocket T shirt always holds both my wife's and my silverware at the buffet!:D

1. If you want to pack lighter and have less luggage to drag around, buy a small thing of tide pods and do some laundry on the ship. Some may say "Not while I am on vacation," but a few hours in the laundry room might save you $60-$90 in airline fees for extra carry-on baggage.
  2. If you don't buy a drink package, and you are sick of water, lemonade, or ice tea, you can make a delicious drink called an Arnold Palmer. Just mix equal amounts of ice tea and lemonade over ice. It is less bitter than the iced tea, but not overly sweat and sour like lemonade gets after a while. :cool:
  3. If you are sharing your stateroom with others, or even just one person, showering can become problematic if you are in a rush. The spa often shares the locker-room with the fitness center, and you do NOT need to buy a spa pass to use the showers there, and they are a bit more roomy than the stateroom showers. (I am not referring to the ones INSIDE the spa, but the locker room.) This is not a good tip however if far away from the spa.
  4. At the buffet, I grab a silverware roll and just drop it in my pocket before I go through the line. This gives me two hands to carry my plate and get my food.
  5. Over the Counter Medical Stuff: cut my toe open really bad while snorkeling, or before snorkeling actually. The price of the antibiotic ointment (generic Bacitracin) and band-aids was a lot higher in the Fun-Shops than down in the infirmary, and they could still charge my S&S account. I assume the same is true for other generic OTC meds, but your mileage may vary.

I love the idea earlier about getting a cup to organize your keys, etc while stored in the safe! Great idea!:D

Just a point on the laundry- we pack knowing that we are going to take advantage of the laundry bag special onboard. That way we avoid both overweight fees if we happen to be flying and we avoid having to do laundry on vacation. Great tip on the infirmary, I never would have thought to go there.

I bring Cold-Eeze (or other medications that fight off a cold), sore throat lozenges and day/nighttime cold capsules.

You know how it never rains if you carry an umbrella...same idea.

And just in case it happens, I'm prepared.

I bring Cold-Eeze (or other medications that fight off a cold), sore throat lozenges and day/nighttime cold capsules.

You know how it never rains if you carry an umbrella...same idea.

And just in case it happens, I'm prepared.

Very good idea. These are very expensive on board, and they don't take up much space if you carry them on.

Over the course if our cruising history we have made quite a few changes to make them better for us. While these would maybe not be advantageous for everyone, they work for us:

1. Pack as light as possible. I am not looking for more crap to bring with me, but rather less. Clothes, toiletries, meds, sunscreen and my kindle for reading. That's it. We are on a ship for between 7-14 days, do not need to recreate home or bring a lot of stuff I could easily do without for such a short period of time.

2. Book staterooms on decks with other staterooms both above and below. Much less chance of noise with no public spaces immediately above me or below me.

3. Book independent shore trips. The only time we would still book through a cruise line would be if it was an activity we were desperate to do and there was no independent option. We research excursions thoroughly both here and on Tripdavisor and if an independent gets overall very good reviews and has been in business for awhile, we use them. Typically this gets us much smaller groups, more tour flexibility and cheaper costs.

4. No cruise line loyalty. This is a biggie for us and I know a lot do not feel the same way, which is cool, to each their own. We decided early on that having a variety in our cruise experiences, even if we do mostly Caribbean (we have also done South America, Panama Canal and Alaska but vast majority are Caribbean) is far more important to us than any perks any cruise line may offer. We do not want to eat the same food over an over and over again, attend the same shows over and over and over again, and just in general have the same experience over and over again. So we mix it up. Love Carnival, but we also quite love Royal. Celebrity and have recently added MSC to the mix. Don't care what color my ship card is or if I am Platinum, Gold, Super-Deluxe, Extra-Elite, Royal Medallion or whatever. We are fortunate enough to have sailed frequently so that we have some status on several lines and we appreciate whatever they may throw our way, but it has no influence. I am sure not going to miss an interesting itinerary or having a new experience all in the name of "loyalty".

3. Book independent shore trips.

4. No cruise line loyalty

I agree with these both. To add to #3, as long as you do your research, do not be afraid to go it alone. Furthermore, ports like Bermuda are completely safe to "wing it." The taxis are regulated. The money is tied to the US dollar, so no weird exchange rate worries. I paid a third to do a full day of activities in Bermuda than with the cruise line. In fact, I don;t think we could have DONE it through the cruise line since we'd have to ride along with other people rather than do what we wanted and when we wanted it.

I sailed with NCL for years. They were a cut above Carnival back in 2011. Now, they've remade themselves into a no-frills cruise line. I'm on the Horizon this year, but the Triumph is taking over its spot in NY next year. I'll try RCL or Celebrity in 2019.

Is it really the same steak? I was always under the impression that the steaks in the MDR (even then ones you pay extra for) are not the same as the ones in the steakhouse. If I'm wrong, that's a great tip!

I have had many steakhouse steaks and one MDR steak that was terrible. Nothing like the steak cooked in the steakhouse. My DH has one too and he did not even finish it. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first imput here is,,,

leave the door to your mini fridge slightly open, it improves the circulation, and cools much better!

I tried this, and my drinks were twice as cool as before the door was left slightly open!;p

So what's your ideas, thoughts,,,,

I am re-posting this from a facebook page I subscribe to so I can't validate whether it works or not by I am going to try it on my next voyage. here's hoping the picture copies....

31184886_1888797141165306_2747945987587537504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e4030ddfc0c1de2db410af93e32e1363&oe=5B4FAD08

1. Arrive near port the day before departure (makes for a no stress day 1)

2. Arrive at port early (extends your 1st day in the ship)

3. Book a cruise with Sea days (very relaxing)

4. Book independent excursions (use Cruise Critic for the great advice)

5. Don’t get internet and lock your phone in the safe and forget about it (relax from your normal life)

There are many more, too many to mention

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am re-posting this from a facebook page I subscribe to so I can't validate whether it works or not by I am going to try it on my next voyage. here's hoping the picture copies....

31184886_1888797141165306_2747945987587537504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e4030ddfc0c1de2db410af93e32e1363&oe=5B4FAD08

I’m going to try this on our cruise. I hope it works!

The AARP website under rewards for Good. You take some surveys and get points. For every 1000 points you can save $10 on a purchase of a $100 gift card.

And, you do not have to be a member of AARP to get these rewards.

Also, if you have Allstate Insurance they offer the same type of deal just for paying your bill.

5. Don’t get internet and lock your phone in the safe and forget about it (relax from your normal life)

And leave the laptop at home too. Skip the Hub app, carry the Fun Times.

Analog all the way, baby!

I bring a 'tablet' that contains movies, some TV shows, and my favorite solitaire game!

The cabin tv is only 3-4 movie channels, and 4 news channels, so I enjoy having the option of my tablet when we're relaxing in the cabin. My wife also bring hers with her movies and games!-))

My tablet is also what I use for my delayed CC thread from the ship each day.

Can't wait to see if the Vista's internet is as good as some have said.

And we can download the Carnival Hub which we both like.

I put the ice bucket in the fridge to turbocharge the cold. I plug a nite light into the shaver socket in the bathroom. I keep a Fenix lantern on the bedside table along with a Casio travel alarm clock. I pack a light weight duffel bag and put my dirty clothes in there. If need be I can carry it to the laundry. For my pocket items I have a leather tray with snaps on the corners that allows it to pack flat, but keeps it tidy on the table or in the safe.

Just a point on the laundry- we pack knowing that we are going to take advantage of the laundry bag special onboard. That way we avoid both overweight fees if we happen to be flying and we avoid having to do laundry on vacation. Great tip on the infirmary, I never would have thought to go there.

Another way is to take bandages and antibiotic ointment with you. I always take a baggy of those and other medications I might need. Have probably 10 different meds with me such as Benadryl, Tylenol, ibuprofen, meclizine, scopolamine patches, cold medicines, gasx [emoji23][emoji23](due to all the food) , burn relief, Prilosec or pepsid and several others I can’t think of. All fits in a little baggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take ginger pills (really cheap anywhere that sells herbal supplements)- helps with seasickness and when you overindulge, either at the bar or in the MDR!

Take Febreeze for the bathroom (no further explanation needed!)

If you have a balcony take binoculars.

Use the free Hub app to keep track of and remind you about events you'd like to do onboard.

1 month before travelling gather everyone's paperwork and proof of citizenship. Make sure you can physically touch them- don't count on 'oh I know just where they are)! Gather them together and put them in a safe place (like your carry on) so you'll know you have them all.

This is a good posting, and it is a shame that I have cruised for over 25 years, and just "discovered" this year (sometimes they were fine, and other times..........) how to keep the items in my refrigerator cold. I never knew that until this year, but it does work!!!

I know some mention about a light for the bathroom, but I have never been on a ship where I just left the bathroom a crack open, and never had any problem with bringing some other type of light.