Child hurt on Cruise question

bnorris10

Wow, bit surprised theres a few posters that think the parents should cough up.

If this event happened in the UK and a lot of Europe a lawyer would probably refuse politely or laugh you out of their office.

Not just the UK and Europe.:D

What? There are no baby rooms at our church. There is a family Mass on sundays that takes place at the same time as the regular 10:30 Mass (but not for the 9 or 12), but parents are more than welcome, even encouraged, to take children of all ages into the regular ones.

Nothing wrong with kids in church, they just shouldn't be running around and having fun. That is not what it is for.

Not just the UK and Europe.:D

Excellent, lawyers I know would not represent someone wishing to sue in this case.

Tha t is not to say there are not some attorneys who would.

I wonder if the kid ever told his parents. Since the accident happened within the kids club, and was nothing that your daughter did, were you charged anything by the medical center? EM

Our DD was injured by another kid in one of the clubs. No charge to us even though it was after hours. DD was ok, more of an overreaction by everyone.

Wow, bit surprised theres a few posters that think the parents should cough up.

If this event happened in the UK and a lot of Europe a lawyer would probably refuse politely or laugh you out of their office.

This would probably be more in line with small claims. Attorney fees would probably be close to if not more than the medical bills.

But, unfortunately, the default in the US is to sue. Especially if the defendant would be a business or government institution. Liability typically doesn’t matter, it’s cheaper to settle than to defend themselves in a lawsuit so they throw money at you to get you to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that had to be one wallop into the chair for that child to be sent flying and to break a bone.

I am a senior lady, still agile enough, but still walk cautiously. I was in a local store shopping, when a child about 6 comes barreling around the corner right into me. Luckily I was able to grab onto the shelf, and it held, but I could have fallen to the floor and been injured. Who would have been responsible for my medical bills. Me? Standing and shopping, or the childs parents. I don't see why the injured party should be responsible for the bills, accident or not, party that caused the injury should be responsible

Nothing wrong with kids in church, they just shouldn't be running around and having fun. That is not what it is for.

This is off the subject but I have to respond - I know at my church we rather have children running around at church then not at church at all

Wow, that had to be one wallop into the chair for that child to be sent flying and to break a bone.

I am a senior lady, still agile enough, but still walk cautiously. I was in a local store shopping, when a child about 6 comes barreling around the corner right into me. Luckily I was able to grab onto the shelf, and it held, but I could have fallen to the floor and been injured. Who would have been responsible for my medical bills. Me? Standing and shopping, or the childs parents. I don't see why the injured party should be responsible for the bills, accident or not, party that caused the injury should be responsible

Yah the Doctor thinks she might have just landed just the right way because she only fell like a foot

I was never expecting the parent to pay for it although had it been my child who did the hurting I would have paid for it - Quite honestly I really think the cruise line should have accepted responsibility not because a child was running around as that it was the clubs are there for but more or less because they allowed a child to run around in socks which is essentially what caused the accident as I am sure if he would have had regular shoes on then it would not have been an issue of him slipping

Yah the Doctor thinks she might have just landed just the right way because she only fell like a foot

I was never expecting the parent to pay for it although had it been my child who did the hurting I would have paid for it - Quite honestly I really think the cruise line should have accepted responsibility not because a child was running around as that it was the clubs are there for but more or less because they allowed a child to run around in socks which is essentially what caused the accident as I am sure if he would have had regular shoes on then it would not have been an issue of him slipping

The cruise line is even less responsible. Crying to John Herald isn't going to help. He does not have power in Carnival Corporation unless you want a plastic ship on s stick.

Anyways, most jurisdictions don't hold a child under a certain age responsible for their actions regardless and nor their parents by extension.

Out of curiosity

A child runs past another child and knocks that said child out of a chair by accident of course and the fallen child breaks a collar bone and has to go to visit doctor on the ship

Leaving travel insurance and personal health insurance out of it - Should the parents of the hurt child be responsible for the doctor's fee's?

As you said it was an accident in another post. Just pay for your child's medical bills, as it shouldn't be the other parent's responsibility, because it was an accident. Now, if the child did it on purpose, then that would be a different story.

As you said it was an accident in another post. Just pay for your child's medical bills, as it shouldn't be the other parent's responsibility, because it was an accident. Now, if the child did it on purpose, then that would be a different story.

Even if the kid did it on purpose, under a certain age, they aren't liable. Like a 5 yr running his tyke into your car, a 5 yr can't be held liable even if they know better.

Your wording didn’t say that. I’ve never seen kids run around in church.

The post I quoted talked about kids running in church,it was in context.

This. I get irritated with all the running that kids do -- in inappropriate places. Kids constantly run IN CHURCH and never get corrected. Outside, at a park -- perfectly good. But in a restraunt where people are carrying food, in church, in a business -- parents tell your kids to walk!!!!
Edited by MicCanberra

This is off the subject but I have to respond - I know at my church we rather have children running around at church then not at church at.
Everyone has different needs, I know I don't need kids running around indoors, that is what the outdoors are for.

Leaving travel insurance and personal health insurance out of it - Should the parents of the hurt child be responsible for the doctor's fee's?

In a word no, but in your scenario that's not the question to ask. Ship's doctors will not take any responsibility for pax injuries. Anything more serious than small cut or sprain can get your entire party put ashore at the next port. They cite pax safety to which you have no recourse. This is the primary reason for the insurance since it will be up to you to pay your way home.

If they prove that it was an accident, injured child's parents pay.

If it was done on purpose, then the parents of the child who did it, should pay.

Karen

Accident or not, the parents of the child who was RUNNING inappropriately and caused the injury .. PAYS all medical bills. On & off ship.

I grew up and my brother and his friends broke windows with baseballs & softballs .... more than once. My dad, when it was my brother, APOLOGIZED to the neighbor with the broken window and simply said, have it repaired, give me the bill and I'll pay it. There was no question how to handle it!

Accident or not, the parents of the child who was RUNNING inappropriately and caused the injury .. PAYS all medical bills. On & off ship.

I grew up and my brother and his friends broke windows with baseballs & softballs .... more than once. My dad, when it was my brother, APOLOGIZED to the neighbor with the broken window and simply said, have it repaired, give me the bill and I'll pay it. There was no question how to handle it!

Good luck with that when the child is under the supervision of the staff in a kid's club, being on or off a ship.

The child was running around Club C in his socks which caused him to slip a little to much when he was running and it was my daughter who got hurt - she will be fine we have already taken her to her normal doctor luckily we have been thru a broken collar bone before so we knew it was not a grave emergency to jump off the ship

Just curious how old are the children in Club C? Isn't there supervision in Club? What did Carnival say about the accident? Just curious

The kid was playing. They were playing in a Kid's Club. The "fault" is being assessed by the version of a small child and their parents. Not even close to causing damage to someone's else's property that required said kid to cross property lines with an object under their control.

I would be afraid that the parents of the “responsible” child would be opening a huge can of worms by paying the initial bills. What would prevent the parents of the injured child from claiming that their child was, for instance, a child prodigy on the violin and the broken arm would prevent their child from reaching his/her earning potential as a concert violinist and suing for potential lost wages? Would paying the initial medical bills be admitting responsible for possible future problems?

You’d have to prove he was a child prodigy if you were trying to get millions for little timmy’s lost career.

This would probably be more in line with small claims. Attorney fees would probably be close to if not more than the medical bills.

But, unfortunately, the default in the US is to sue. Especially if the defendant would be a business or government institution. Liability typically doesn’t matter, it’s cheaper to settle than to defend themselves in a lawsuit so they throw money at you to get you to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Small claims does not require legal representation,,,,,,,,, no legal fees but prhaps court costs and cost of seving the suit on the defena nt ? That can vary by jurisdiction.

Edited by sail7seas

I believe in accidents. I am a walking one. I trip over my own two feet. My children have suffered numerous sports injuries. So I get it. However when my children are under adult supervision I do not expect the adult to allow dangerous behavior. If my child falls off the monkey bars okay, if my child falls climbing on the back of a chair not okay. JMHO

Just to clarify I am not suing the ship or any parent over this matter

YES this was an accident and YES I understand accidents happens BUT I also strongly feel that if the Carnival Staff had mad sure the kids were running around in shoes instead of in socks on slippery floors then this accident would likely not have happened

It was suggested I contact John Heald which I did and he pointed me in the right direction to talk to carnival about this situation - Now if the cruise line would like to reimburse me for this situation then great for me saves me $279 - Never hurts to ask about it and it does not make me a bad person for inquiring to if Carnival would reimburse me for the medical expenses

If they don't reimburse me that is fine also I am not going to raise a stink about it or call them names or scream and holler or threaten to never cruise with them again - I will move on having already paid for this, my daughter will heal, and I will enjoy my next cruise in September