Summit - San Juan sailings

Mynki

Just a quick heads up for those who have had concerns about sailing from San Juan. We landed there yesterday, had a 5 minute walk through the air conditioned airport. Found our driver for our private transfer, collected our bags ten minutes later, drove to the cruise port which took just 15 minutes, there were only two other couples checking in at the fully functioning air conditioned terminal building so all in all we had the quickest, most efficient and painless check in we've ever had. From disembarking the aircraft to entering our cabin took no more than 45 minutes.

As the plane descended we did see considerable damage to residences. Several hundred homes were covered in blue tarps highlighting the significant hurricane damage.

Our driver advised that only 60% of the island has power and estimates it will be at least four months before normal electrical services are restored.

Many local bars, restaurants, shops and gas stations are open though so as long as people have their accommodations sorted there really is no need to worry.

Our ship seems quiet. According to the fishy site it sailed with 14% of cabins empty! We had breakfast n the Tuscan Grill today and there were only five tables occupied. It's a sea day today and Cafe El Bacio is dead. You're seated and served within a minute!

Thanks for your posting. When I was at the Pan American terminal on October 28th there was no air conditioning and it was very HOT so glad to hear that the AC is functioning there. I love the Summit - sailed her 5 times this year and another sailing planned for January. I think a lot of the San Juan sailing are going out "less than full". You know it's an empty ship when Cafe Al Bacio is not packed on a sea day!

There's definitely a few empty cabins onboard. Beverage packages have been offered on a buy one get one free basis (Much to the dissatisfaction of one rather loud solo traveler who complained bitterly to a poor waitress in El Bachio) and discounts for those upgrading from classic to premium. I suspect this is an attempt to try and increase revenues due to the empty cabins as I've not seen it before.

It seems most passengers have had some sort of disruption to their travel plans due to the hurricanes, but all in all people are happy with changed itineraries and the way things are going etc. Several seem happy with the mass cancellations as it resulted in them scoring deals late on.

The ship is very dated but perfectly fine. We're currently docked in Barbados with a Pullmantur, TUI and MSC ship close by. I know which I'd rather be on! HAL's new flagship Koningsdam was here yesterday, she looked quite nice though.

We had lunch in Sushi on 5 earlier, the food and service was excellent. I noted an elderly couple sat next to us were particularly well treated with several officers popping over to talk to them. They were then joined by Captain Kate who turned out to be their daughter. :D

Sadly our helipad sail away has been postponed due to it raining here right now, but we'll do it another day apparently, so all is well.

Thank you for update we are sailing January 13 on the Summit out of San Juan, we have hotel reservations but two others in our party is having trouble with hotel reservations. I pre-booked a taxi ahead of time but it seems to be 4 times the usual cost of a taxi before the storms.

Thank you for update we are sailing January 13 on the Summit out of San Juan, we have hotel reservations but two others in our party is having trouble with hotel reservations. I pre-booked a taxi ahead of time but it seems to be 4 times the usual cost of a taxi before the storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we called in at St Vincent today. We were told that this is Celebrity's first ever visit to the island. It's claim to fame is that the first and part of the second Pirates of the Caribbean films were filmed here. In fact we sailed on a boat around the island which was used as the 'Interceptor' in the first movie. The place is quite attractive and it made a nice change not to disembark and be faced with Diamonds International and Pandora shops everywhere.

Maybe X should consider visiting islands such as this a little more often as it makes a pleasant change to miss the likes of St Martin etc. So all in all we're happy with the itinerary changes. :)

I’m on the 13th January sailing as well. The taxi rates out of the San Juan airport are a flat rate based on I believe 5 or 6 zones. Maybe this has now changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I've read the zone rates remained the same. Pre-booking a taxi might qualify as a "private car transfer". In which case, it would be a lot more.