50 broken windows??

bksunbuddies

From September 9th...

Received a note from a friend who's aboard the Prinsendam:...

Things started getting a little rough during the 7 PM cocktail hour but really not too bad. Dinner was another story entirely. Gale force winds stated to buffet the ship at about 8:15 PM. We were seated at a table for 4 towards the back of the Pinnacle Grill. Next thing you know, we were holding on to the glassware and the table for dear life.

The large window next to my seat made a sound like a shotgun and shattered but didn’t break as it is safety glass. It scared the hell out of us. We could hear all hell breaking loose in the kitchen. I shudder to think of what happened to all of that lovely Bulgari china.

The Captain came on to the P.A. system to tell all passengers to remain seated, if possible, or to get down on the floor as we were in for some really rough seas. What an understatement. A window was blown out in the showroom and water started pouring in there during the entertainment.

And later:

"Update to the adventure. It turns out we unexpectedly hit a force 12 storm. That's hurricane force. We lost about 50 windows and there is a dent in the prow of the ship. What a 'fun' ride."

• How does HAL proceed to repair a ship which experiences such damage?

• Fifty (50) broken windows seems like a lot so I hope this was an exaggeration. :eek:

• Do they stay at the next port of call for extra days?

• Where is the "prow" of the ship?

• How do we find out if the passengers are ok?

Karen

From September 9th...

• Fifty (50) broken windows seems like a lot so I hope this was an exaggeration. :eek:

Karen

The prow is the tip of the bow. :cool:

I'm thinking the windows could be in a place that's not really vulnerable to the elements, like the stern area. If not, they could have a big problem on thier hands if another storm kicks up. :eek:

Cruised on the Celebrity Zenith in 1997. We were on the lowest passenger deck and were surprised to find a steel plate the size of our window under the bed. Possibly the ships do carry some covers for windows in case of problems.

You found the deadlight.

Interesting on other ships, they are found already attached to the bulkhead, under or above the portholes. Maybe the builders for Zenith ran out of bolts and screws? :D ;)

I did a trip on the a small hurtigruten ship around the Norweigan fjords. We came back from dinner the last evening to find the deadlight fitted over the port hole.

A VERY rough night followed. The cabins on those ship were not very luxurious and most of our stuff was pilled on open shelves, all of which fell on top of us in the night.

When we staggered to breakfast late the next morning, hanging onto rails to stop falling over, the crew told us all the glassware and china had smashed in the night. We were 5 hours late into Bergen the next day. Luckily i've never seen those deadlights fitted since, it's not a good sign :o

I was on the Noordam in the Mediterranean prior to a T/A back Ft. Lauderdale in Fall of '09. The Oosterdam limped into port behind us in Cadiz. We couldn't figure why cartons were being offloaded from the Noordam and brought over to the Oosterdam. We were told later that they had been slammed by a rogue wave off the coast of Africa and lost a lot of their china. We were helping them out with replacements. They sailed on to Lisbon and we proceeded to Funchal, Madeira before crossing the Atlantic. It happens.

... and widows do shatter. Usually not considered a "big deal".

I know we're not supposed to draw attention to typos/misspellings, and may the moderator gods forgive me, but ...

this widow is laughing hysterically at the above typo. :D

Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Oh I was also laughing when I saw "widows do shatter".

We have been on some ships when windows and glass doors had been broken 2 -4 months before we got on the ship because of storms, etc. They just can't go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up new windows and doors. Some have to be special ordered. Some doors were removed -- some windows were covered up with wood.

I know we're not supposed to draw attention to typos/misspellings, and may the moderator gods forgive me, but ...

this widow is laughing hysterically at the above typo. :D

Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Wish we could be on the same cruise with you, Ruth love your sense of humor. You REALLY beat me on that one, I read right over the top of the typo and missed it. :( Hope my typos are as funny.:p

Wish we could be on the same cruise with you, Ruth love your sense of humor. You REALLY beat me on that one, I read right over the top of the typo and missed it. :( Hope my typos are as funny.:p

A sick mind is a terrible thing to waste. ;)

From September 9th...

Karen

Karen

It should have read The BOW of the ship.

Yesterday Prinsendam was docked in Tilbury/UKicon7.gif. Normally Captain Schoonderbeek reports every day with his blog but since September 6 no updates.

Go to cruise lines A-O of the boards and there you can read more about what happened on the ship.

Peter

Cruised on the Celebrity Zenith in 1997. We were on the lowest passenger deck and were surprised to find a steel plate the size of our window under the bed. Possibly the ships do carry some covers for windows in case of problems.

When we were on Oceania's Insignia on a transatlantic cruise out of Barcelona we were on the lowest passenger deck in a porthole cabin. The first night the waters were so rough that the cabin steward at turndown put down the steel hatch cover over the window in case the force of the waves slapping against the window would be too much for it.

The cover was on there all of the next day/night as well. That steel plate wasn't removable though. It simply lifted up and fastened securely above the window. It was heavy though.

Karen

It should have read The BOW of the ship.

Yesterday Prinsendam was docked in Tilbury/UKicon7.gif. Normally Captain Schoonderbeek reports every day with his blog but since September 6 no updates.

Go to cruise lines A-O of the boards and there you can read more about what happened on the ship.

Peter

Can you be more specific as to where in A-O we can read about the ship? Thanks so much.

Can you be more specific as to where in A-O we can read about the ship? Thanks so much.

when you go to boards and log in you will find

cruises A-O

click on Holland America line

scroll down to: Adventures on Prinsendam last night. It has had 5.405 vie3s so far.

peter

Archived