Just returned from 12 days on QM11

sandramerle

Just returned from 12 wonderful days on the most beautiful ship the Queen Mary. We did the Jewels of Iberia on the Mediterannean. Our ports and itinary were outstanding and as the ship was going into these ports for the first time, our welcome and send offs were incredible, although nothing can come close to the send off that New York prepared.When we left Marseilles there were over 250 small boats surrounding our ship and they followed us for miles, blowing their horns and people waving, and ofcourse the police patrolling extensively to prevent this little boats drawing near to the ship. Helicopters were abundant in the sky, the band playing on deck, and all in all a royal send off, estimated that 35,000 people lined the docks to wave goodbye.
I would definately go back on this ship, most people we spoke to had many complaints, alot of what you have already read on these boards, however we made up our minds to have a good time and overlook the definate problems that they do have.
Embarkation was well organised, we got to Southhampton earlier than they had said, nobody checked our documents and actually we were first on board. With my hand luggage and all, I went straight to Tod English, the maitre d, whose name is Chris, could not have been nicer and made 3 bookings for me , right then and there. I was really surprised as I did not think I would get more than one. The food and service there is excellent. However the restaurant on this cruise was always empty, on the 2nd to last night I believe that they had 40 cancellations, due to the fact that people found out that this was lobster night in the Britania.They do a wonderful job at Tod English, but this restaurant is more well known by the Americans .I would most definately recommend eating there at least once, but remember it is usually lobster night on the 2nd to last night in the Britannia.
The Britannia is a beautiful restaurant, cannot understand why they do not have music or musicians. However the head maitre d whose name is Debra and her assistant Nevil are only to happy to do anything to please. We ate at two different tables, which were tables for 2, which is what we requested, with 2 outstanding waiters. One was Monica from South Africa and the other Joseph who was from the Phillipines, we had exceptional service from them. I do know other people complainned about their service. The food for the most part in Britannia was excellent, lots of choices, and we thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant, it always felt cosy and welcomming.I preferrd sitting downstairs as some parts of the dining room upstairs did not feel as if you were part of the restaurant.
The Kings Court is a disaster, and I know that they are well aware of this. There are never any tables readily available, and if you have your food, then by the time you actually find a table, it is cold, the lines to get your food are always long, although the food there is actually very good. I woul d recommend going to the Britannia for lunch and breakfast, when you can, but on port days, I found it took too long there, so it is easier to try and eat quickly in the Kings Court, so that you could be ready to leave early. Our room maid was very nice, her name was Christa. The first night I asked for a shower cap which was not in the bathroom, she told me they had run out of them, after searching she maanged to find just one, that I had to look after like gold. I definately would love to go back on this ship, but would not be able to recommend it as a LUXURY cruise, as they have a very long way to go to get to that point.I found that alot of the young waiters are overworked and are just counting the days to get off the ship, this makes them very apathetic towards their jobs. The bad thing I and many others commented on, were that the public toilets around the ship, left alot to be desired regarding cleanliness. All said and done, we had a fantastic cruise, highest marks go to the Britannia, for their effeciency, friendliness and good food. We did not use the alternate restaurants as we found we liked and preferred the ambiance of Britannia. Again excellent maitre d Nevil and Debra. Cunard did a great job of getting people on and off the ship at the different ports. Will be happy to answr any questions, e mail me at [email]sanmerle3@aol.com[/email]. Hope this gives a little insight into this magnificent ship, it definately is an incredible experience, when you overlook certain issues.

Welcome home, glad you enjoyed this magnificent ship. The first call ports are so exciting aren't they.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work
26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004
Zuiderdam 3/27/2004
Caribbean Princess 8/28/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Sounds like the wonderful ship, with warts of course, that I experienced. I'm so glad you had a good time.

It's funny though, how the "problem areas" seem to shift from cruise to cruise -- and perhaps passenger to passenger. For example, on my crossing (Tandem April) I found the public toilets to be noteworthy in design and cleanliness and the lines in King's court rarely anything to speak of. Britannia, however, was always somewhat spotty.

I'm glad arrivals and departures continue to draw crowds. It certainly adds to the excitement. I think that anyone who wants to experience that aspect of travelling aboard a "new Queen" should probably book sooner than later. I don't [I]think[/I] it will continue beyond Year One, but who knows....

Crouton

I was on the same QM2 cruise... and had a fantastic time!

Totally agree with you about Kings Court. The Lido on the QE2, although much smaller and busier, was much better designed.

Overall, though, the cruise and ship were wonderful. Everywhere was clean, we found the staff all very helpful and friendly (apart from at the purser's desk), although we were not impressed by the entertainment. The production shows were ok, but the 'guest' entertainers were nothing special at all - very disappointing.

Archived