Snorkel Mask

MomSwag

Not sure if it was this mask, or the the general style, but over on the Hawaii board there was a discussion, with links, on an issue with CO2 buildup in this style of mask. One of the major water sports rental places won't rent them for that reason. Check out this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592335

Personally I would avoid. As stated above there can be issues with CO2 build up especially on a poorly fitted mask. Which brings be onto the next issue. If the mask is poorly fitted and does not seal properly then any water entering the mask is going to cause a lot more trouble than it would using a normal mask.

In my opinion I would recommend you buy a decent fitting mask and snorkel, Avoid the full face mask at all costs purely for safety.

The full face snorkel masks are sometimes discussed on the Caribbean Ports of Call board. I did a search and found these relatively recent threads (plus lots more):

I have been snorkeling (and SCUBA Diving) for over fifty years and would not even consider using the current full face masks (or allowing any of my loved ones to use the things). There are some inherent dangers with that piece of equipment, which has been noted by many dive shops (and operators of snorkel boats/tours) who have abandoned the masks. Here is an interesting commentary on the masks (and snorkels with valves).......

https://www.deeperblue.com/drownings-hawaii-experts-raise-questions-equipment-safety/

A Google search will quickly turn up plenty of other warnings on full face masks

Hank

I just posted in the linked thread.

The design of the one I have experience with (TriBord), there is an inner mask with inhalation valves to prevent the exhaled air from entering the large dead space mentioned. The exhaled air is exhausted directly outside the mask.

Now, with damage to the inner mask intake valves, or them being removed by the user, the scenario mentioned could happen.

But, like any piece of equipment, it should be inspected before use, and not changed or modified in any way.

Hi

I was given one as present. I didn't know about any other issues at the time. I did try it. I just didn't feel that comfortable wearing it, especially when I tried to dive. Looks like it will end up fading away as a novelty. I wouldn't have thought of buying one on my own and after trying it I wouldn't recommend it. I have been snorkeling for many years

hope this helps

I love mine- never had a problem with leaks or co2. Won’t work if you dive but I don’t. Make sure it fits well. They come in different sizes. The great advantage for me is no aching jaw when I get out of the water! I tend to clench my jaw with a regular mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love mine- never had a problem with leaks or co2. Won’t work if you dive but I don’t. Make sure it fits well. They come in different sizes. The great advantage for me is no aching jaw when I get out of the water! I tend to clench my jaw with a regular mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have tmj issues so I feel your pain!

Unless divers are using rebreathers you don't see them wearing something like that. To me that answers the question of whether they are worthwhile or not.

Have you ever seen the commercial diver helmets?

• 2 weeks later...
Surface snorkeling is staying on the surface of the water looking down. I like to dive as well to get a closer look at stuff.

I have only used a traditional mask and snorkel. The sides of my mask are clear' date=' so it doesn't feel like I'm peeking through a tunnel.[/quote']Do they have them for use onboard or should I purchase ahead of time?

Do you have one you recommend?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Forums mobile app

Do they have them for use onboard or should I purchase ahead of time?

r

We did three snorkeling excursions on our last sailing in January (Aruba, Bonaire, Labadee) - they provided the traditional snorkeling equipment, no face masks. If you would like to use one, you would need to bring one. We have the Onata full face mask, my husband loved it.

r

We did three snorkeling excursions on our last sailing in January (Aruba, Bonaire, Labadee) - they provided the traditional snorkeling equipment, no face masks. If you would like to use one, you would need to bring one. We have the Onata full face mask, my husband loved it.

Bit confused by your comment that the excursion provided "traditional snorkeling equipment" but no face masks as a face mask is traditional the second most important part of snorkeling unless you mean no one-piece snorkel masks

Bit confused by your comment that the excursion provided "traditional snorkeling equipment" but no face masks as a face mask is traditional the second most important part of snorkeling unless you mean no one-piece snorkel masks

Sorry, no full face masks :p. They provided traditional masks fins and snorkels for everyone.

Do they have them for use onboard or should I purchase ahead of time?

Any excursion will definitely have snorkel gear for you to borrow. I enjoy snorkeling and ocean swimming enough that I bring my own gear.

This is the mask and snorkel I use;

https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Aquatics-Panoramic-Scuba-Snorkel/dp/B00KKQJV3G/ref=sr_1_14?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1519269466&sr=1-14&keywords=snorkel+mask

These are the fins I use (with dive booties so I can walk on rocks and don't worry about blisters)

https://www.amazon.com/TUSA-Sport-Full-Snorkeling-Medium/dp/B00UA4Y6ZG/ref=sr_1_67?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1519269780&sr=1-67&keywords=travel+fins+for+snorkeling

Everybody is built differently, and the mask is the most important thing to fit. I'd really recommend you go to a dive shop to try things out if you are going to buy. Every dive shop i've seen also has snorkel equipment, so don't be intimidated about walking in. I actually got a better price from the dive shop in Boise, ID than I could online, and they tossed in a pair of dive booties that didn't fit the person who ordered them but fit me perfectly.

If you are snorkeling for the first time, use the gear the excursion provides. It will work. And your back up is always lifting your head out of the water to breathe, or adjust your mask, or whatever.

Funny, commercial divers use full face masks all the time for diving. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=commercial+diver&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS747US747&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV8Pfb5MbZAhWRrVkKHVPyBMAQ_AUICigB&biw=1294&bih=734

But, I understand your point, I would not use a $40 full face mask for diving, but the snorkel masks cannot be hooked up to a regulator.