Who pulls the kids out of school to cruise?

4olivers

I have taken my children out more than once to cruise. Never been an issue. Communicate with the school in advance and likely it will be fine. You know your children, if you don’t think they will fall behind you’re probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The whole 'kids learn more on holiday than at school' only works when the adults involved on that holiday know exactly how to get the most of the learning environment/provide valuable experiences. Unfortunately a majority use this excuse to save money/suit their own holiday interests.

A family holiday is a stunning thing for bonds and lifetime experiences but do it when the kiddies are off. Then they can have the education (that should be appreciated in today's world...lots don't have it) and the fun all in the same year. Although one should mainly smack the holiday providers that jack up the prices but a family could still save up or chose a cheaper option....I personally adore camping.

Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK schools that have attendance issues (below 95%) can get descended on by certain bodies and judged as if it is their fault...a bad judgement can affect the school's and kids' futures. It's not fair for this to happen but the UK government are idiots so thats how we have to play. Also I have seen bewildered looks on children's faces/concerns after missing a week or more and how social circles have changed in that short space of time. There is also the chance of missing units that may be important in tests etc and its also not fair to expect the teacher to provide extra work because you happened to book a holiday...we have lots to do already. It is for the above reasons the UK fines absences for 5 days or more per parent per child if no suitable reason is given (touchy subject over here for us all).

I understand an odd day or two is missed due to schedules...thats fine and I know that some children are more resilient than others but I do think holidays in term time affect more things and people than first thought.

Bemused by the 'too few teachers are educated' comment. Is it really that bad in the US? Not the case over here...there is a minimum of training/uni time needed (many teachers have part of a masters for instance) and other hoops and tests to get past.

Edited by Velvetwater

The whole 'kids learn more on holiday than at school' only works when the adults involved on that holiday know exactly how to get the most of the learning environment/provide valuable experiences. Unfortunately a majority use this excuse to save money/suit their own holiday interests.

A family holiday is a stunning thing for bonds and lifetime experiences but do it when the kiddies are off. Then they can have the education (that should be appreciated in today's world...lots don't have it) and the fun all in the same year. Although one should mainly smack the holiday providers that jack up the prices but a family could still save up or chose a cheaper option....I personally adore camping.

Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK schools that have attendance issues (below 95%) can get descended on by certain bodies and judged as if it is their fault...a bad judgement can affect the school's and kids' futures. It's not fair for this to happen but the UK government are idiots so thats how we have to play. Also I have seen bewildered looks on children's faces/concerns after missing a week or more and how social circles have changed in that short space of time. There is also the chance of missing units that may be important in tests etc and its also not fair to expect the teacher to provide extra work because you happened to book a holiday...we have lots to do already. It is for the above reasons the UK fines absences for 5 days or more per parent per child if no suitable reason is given (touchy subject over here for us all).

I understand an odd day or two is missed due to schedules...thats fine and I know that some children are more resilient than others but I do think holidays in term time affect more things and people than first thought.

Bemused by the 'too few teachers are educated' comment. Is it really that bad in the US? Not the case over here...there is a minimum of training/uni time needed (many teachers have part of a masters for instance) and other hoops and tests to get past.

This.

As my kids got into the older grades - middle school and high school - there really was too much work that they would miss to consider taking them out for a vacation. It is tough, though, to afford/enjoy vacations when EVERYONE else is also on vacation. But taking them out didn't work for us.

This is a fascinating thread. After reading many of the comments we wonder why many of the posters even bother to send their children to school! After all, according to the posters, being with the family is more educational, many teachers are not educated (?), school should be at the convenience of parents, etc. And since their children learn so much when on a cruise it just seems like they would learn even more if they spent the entire year on cruise ships or vacation. I mean lets face it, kids only go to school about 180 days a year. And digesting the opinions of many posters 185 days a year out of school is simply not enough to plan vacations.

I feel like I have made a big mistake in my life. We actually taught our DD that school was important (and an obligation) and always supported her in everything school related. What a mistake. We should have been pulling her out of school most of the year, telling her that being with us was much more important then getting a formal education, etc etc. Guess I will have to live with the guilt.

Hank

This is a fascinating thread. After reading many of the comments we wonder why many of the posters even bother to send their children to school! After all, according to the posters, being with the family is more educational, many teachers are not educated (?), school should be at the convenience of parents, etc. And since their children learn so much when on a cruise it just seems like they would learn even more if they spent the entire year on cruise ships or vacation. I mean lets face it, kids only go to school about 180 days a year. And digesting the opinions of many posters 185 days a year out of school is simply not enough to plan vacations.

I feel like I have made a big mistake in my life. We actually taught our DD that school was important (and an obligation) and always supported her in everything school related. What a mistake. We should have been pulling her out of school most of the year, telling her that being with us was much more important then getting a formal education, etc etc. Guess I will have to live with the guilt.

Hank

I agree with you. I will concede that if it is a very special reason to pull the kids out of school it may be OK....but, just because it is cheaper to cruise off-season or that is the 'only time' we can take vacation are not the best reasons to pull students out of class. With American students testing behind many nations in science and math, what are we thinking? It doesn't set a good precedent for students to view school as a part-time venture.

I am a retired industrial engineer and past substitute teacher (until things got too rough in schools). I saw kids that just wanted to mark time rather than study. Many kids come from families that do not value education. Guess what? They don't either. I have dealt with college graduates that had trouble putting a decent sentence together...spelling, wrong verb usage, etc. One new college grad was asked to find the percentage of simple defects in his area of the shop by category. He came up with a total of 127%. Holy cow...how can you have more than 100% in anything dealing with simple defects. Doing a simple control chart was way above his level of understanding.

I also fault some teachers who shouldn't be teaching. I got to see this a lot when I did substitute teaching. One 6th grade social studies test that I handed out from a so-called 'outstanding' teacher had the question, 'Chicago, the capitol of Illinois, is located in what part of the state?'. Another teacher taught the sequence of mathematical operations wrong. The one that really blew my mind was a the band teacher who hocked band instruments for 'quick loan' to cover his son's college tuition.

I apologize for my rant. I just want to know where we are going when adding 1/2 + 1/16 can't be solved by a high school student....or as some students put it, 'I'm not very good with math'.

I agree with you. I will concede that if it is a very special reason to pull the kids out of school it may be OK....but, just because it is cheaper to cruise off-season or that is the 'only time' we can take vacation are not the best reasons to pull students out of class. With American students testing behind many nations in science and math, what are we thinking? It doesn't set a good precedent for students to view school as a part-time venture.

I am a retired industrial engineer and past substitute teacher (until things got too rough in schools). I saw kids that just wanted to mark time rather than study. Many kids come from families that do not value education. Guess what? They don't either. I have dealt with college graduates that had trouble putting a decent sentence together...spelling, wrong verb usage, etc. One new college grad was asked to find the percentage of simple defects in his area of the shop by category. He came up with a total of 127%. Holy cow...how can you have more than 100% in anything dealing with simple defects. Doing a simple control chart was way above his level of understanding.

I also fault some teachers who shouldn't be teaching. I got to see this a lot when I did substitute teaching. One 6th grade social studies test that I handed out from a so-called 'outstanding' teacher had the question, 'Chicago, the capitol of Illinois, is located in what part of the state?'. Another teacher taught the sequence of mathematical operations wrong. The one that really blew my mind was a the band teacher who hocked band instruments for 'quick loan' to cover his son's college tuition.

I apologize for my rant. I just want to know where we are going when adding 1/2 + 1/16 can't be solved by a high school student....or as some students put it, 'I'm not very good with math'.

Or straight A students who respond "Berlin" when asked to name a communist country. Or "No" when asked if there are any women on the Supreme Court.

Just because a student has high marks doesn't mean that they can afford to miss school.

I don't know about the US but in Sweden it is that bad. It's extremely difficult for every school to find educated teachers.

I booked my next cruise without asking for vacation first. If I get a "no" I have no problem to find a new job. If I get a new job in another "school district" I will most likely raise my salary with at least $750/month.

We are pulling our 14 and 16 year olds out in a couple of weeks. Our oldest will graduate college in December and hopes to go to med school so we are pulling them out since it may be the last time she can go with us for a long while. Our 17 year old is staying with grandma and grandpa as it is the first week of mandatory practice for school baseball and if he were to miss, he prob wouldn't make the team...he doesn't like cruising much anyway so it all worked out. Our school is wonderful about it. Although my kids are very good students and I am very involved at their small school. I figure the memories and things they will see and learn will be far more valuable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We never did, but people will do what they want to do and rationalize away anything that would hinder them. Isn't that EXACTLY what this thread is all about?

You have summed it up quite nicely. The OP just wants verification to justify her decision. Count up how many times she has posted on this thread.

You have summed it up quite nicely. The OP just wants verification to justify her decision. Count up how many times she has posted on this thread.

The OP (ME) got her answer! We aren’t alone and there are some very assuming, judgmental and uptight people commenting. Think a cruise and relaxation is overdue for some.....

The OP (ME) got her answer! We aren’t alone and there are some very assuming, judgmental and uptight people commenting. Think a cruise and relaxation is overdue for some.....

There are some guilt ridden people looking for reassurance on a selfish choice that affects others but hey forums will be forums right?

Applause for the families with the guilt free holidays. Now thats what I call relaxing! For the record I don't have kids yet but if/when I do my husband and I will be keeping them in school and enjoying our holidays in the break.

Thank you for proving the point. It is obvious that the precise reason you came here was to get support for what you want to do and call people who disagree judgemental.

We are pulling our 14 and 16 year olds out in a couple of weeks. Our oldest will graduate college in December and hopes to go to med school so we are pulling them out since it may be the last time she can go with us for a long while. Our 17 year old is staying with grandma and grandpa as it is the first week of mandatory practice for school baseball and if he were to miss, he prob wouldn't make the team...he doesn't like cruising much anyway so it all worked out. Our school is wonderful about it. Although my kids are very good students and I am very involved at their small school. I figure the memories and things they will see and learn will be far more valuable.

Yeah, we hear you, Its fine to pull kids out of school if they simply will miss school, but no way can you pull a kid out of school if it impacts sports. Makes sense.

Hank

Yeah, we hear you, Its fine to pull kids out of school if they simply will miss school, but no way can you pull a kid out of school if it impacts sports. Makes sense.

Hank

That is so true here in the SE USA. Parents will forego about anything if their child has a game that day.

Hank

OMG. Do these people listen to themselves? Mind boggling! And we wonder why kids have no respect for school, for authority, for jobs, etc. Got something better to do today? No problem, just call in sick! Wow

I guess it's all black & white. Pull your kid out of school for a half day, and you as a parent are the personification of evil. Satan in a mini van.

How about a more appropriate website name: "Cruise Curmudgeon."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hank

Haha, No, my 17 year old made that decision. I wasn't going to take him making Varsity Baseball away from him. We actually weren't going to take the 3 younger since he didn't want to miss his practices. He then said he didn't want to go on a cruise anyway so he was ok with missing out this trip. He will be 18 in a few months, He values his family but knows what the consequences would be and we left it up to him. There are a TON of judgmental people on this thread. There is no one size fits all answer. Every child is different, every school is different and every family is different. I will say that there have been a couple of times that my children have been pulled out of school for a family vacation. 2-3 times total. For those of you that say you have no children, you are assuming an awful lot. Every case is different. In my case, our school administration and teachers are fine with it. My son who has chosen to stay home this time because he really doesn't want to cruise and he also wants to play baseball, he has gone 1-2 other times. He is still currently 1st in his junior class with a 12.7 GPA. He juggles a part time job, tutoring, being on the academic super bowl and spell bowl teams as well as playing baseball and tennis.

My daughter who is in college, will turn 21 in November and graduate from college with a psychology degree this December and will then be attending med school in the hopes of becoming a Pediatric Psychiatrist. She graduated High school 2nd in her class while playing four years of Varsity Soccer, four years of Varsity Track, two years of JV cheer, two years of Varsity cheer and 2 years of JV basketball. She was also a member of the state winning academic super bowl fine arts championship team and a member of the state finalist spell bowl team. Having just turned 20 in November, she is already published in her field, has been nominated for awards at her college for her research and mentoring. She has taken 18 credit hours every semester, remained on the dean's list in the honors college while working part time, mentoring, volunteering and being on a research team.

My 16 year old who is going is currently 4th in her class. She has been a Varsity Starter on her basketball team both years of High school, A Varsity Starter on her soccer team (as well as the team's leading scorer as a Sophomore) both years and was a Varsity Starter on the Track Team last year, earning the MVP award for the most points earned by any female on the team...as a Freshman. She also was a member of the Sectional Championship 4 x 100m Relay Team and Qualified for The regional competition by doing so and also did so in Long jump and was one place away from qualifying in high jump. She is on the academic super bowl team as well as the spellbowl team. Besides the 6 days she will miss for this trip, she has missed one day in the last two years of school. I won't go into my youngest as he is only in 8th grade.

Point being, I have some amazing kids, lol Seriously though, you (meaning anyone on this thread) can talk crap about priorities, how pulling them from school will be teach them that school isn't important, etc. The 10 days my family will be gone on a vacation this year WILL NOT trump the other 355 days that I have to teach them what it is to be responsible young adults and what their priorities should be. I have taught them that sometimes it's ok to spend some time with family. they just need to take care of the other priorities as well and be sure it is communicated with the teachers and administration as well. We will not be taking their computers with us, it is family time. They can do their work before or after but will not be doing it while on our family vacation. This was communicated with the administration and teachers and everyone is ok with it.

So, for anyone looking to see what other parents do, we all have to do what we feel is right. What I won't do is teach my kids that it is ok to come on a public forum and bash people for having an opinion different than ours. The priorities you set on an everyday basis is what is going to form your children. For those of you that don't even have children, shame on you. That is like me trying to tell a pilot how to fly a plane...

Oh, and in case anyone thinks it, my kids do not get fed by silver spoons. I am a stay at home mom, my husband works in a factory. We drive cars that are 10+ years old and live in a 3 bedroom house that is almost 70 years old. They have been shown that hard work is a priority.

Edited by KatPem