Live from eclipse 8/18 Baltic

ghstudio

I assume it's now Le Petite Chef every night? Was it full?

I'm asking because I'm hoping that by the time we board in January Le Petite Chef will have run it's course, and they'll be back to the original plan to have it be a couple of times, and Q'sine again the rest of the time. (I'm not optimistic, though)

May be it's because of the introduction of QSine Le Petite Chef, we had a one time only pretty long FREE galley tour on our first sea day. It included a sit down demo of the Le Petite Chef at the end of the tour where a short animation was shown. There was also free limoncello samples at the Tuscan restaurant: yum!!!

Celebrity is still selling the galley + bridge tour on board.

For our seating the restaurant was pretty full. The restaurant sits 60. There was only one large empty table (8?). We were asked to fill out a survey at the end of our dinner. I guess because they want to maximize the white space for the animation they don't give bread for the dinner unless you ask. To us bread is a must to soak up every bit of the delicious bouillabaisse and the perfectly made caviar lobster sauce!

This animation show dining concept is probably not for everyone see: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2632633 for a good review.

Here are YouTube videos of the animation show dinning concept:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Qsine+le+petite+chef

Laurence

I haven’t passed lpc in the evening, but the sushi bar seems to have very few tables occupied...I wonder how long it will last. The world class bar had 1/2 price drinks last night and still remained empty. Martini bar kept 4 bartenders very busy.

I thought the Russian show last night was ok...would have been better without all the fake smoke effects and the lighting person went nuts playing with every lighting effect....someone should tell him that the show is not the lighting...it’s the performers.

We are using best tours...our guide used to be a history teacher which resulted in far more history than I wanted, but my wife and the others on our tour enjoyed all the history. I think we walked at least 5 miles yesterday with more today. Incredible city to visit.

There were at least 7 ships in port....mobs of visitors everywhere....4 hour line for those without tours at Catherine palace...don’t even think about trying to sightsee on your own.

Tallinn..we just walked around, found a nice tourist restaurant for light lunch. Wonderful preserved city...each building seems to have its own history. Not sure anyone needs a guide..just walk around the old city and enjoy history. It’s about a 15 minute walk from the ship to the old town....just follow everyone else to get there :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ghstudio

I think we’ve essentially confirmed that the vibration varies depending on sea direction, engines, wind and who knows what else. The common thread is that all reported cabins with shaking have been on the port side (odd number cabins), aft of the back elevators.....near the mechanicals in the smokestack area. I confirmed this morning that the cabins in this area on decks 6 through 8 also vibrate a bit more than in other areas. My wife’s reaction standing in that area on deck 8 was that we’re on a ship and the vibration really wasn’t noticeable unless you focused on it.

I found no area where the vibration would even shake a glass...but maybe it’s just this cruise in very calm seas...who knows.

We were in 2123 (12th floor) on the previous sailing (8/6) and there was some extra vibrations - especially the first few days. It was not anything we complained about, but we did notice it. I still would pick the same cabin.

Thanks,I was much worry if the ship need to go to dry dock for repair.

I still remember few years back on the new ship they had to cancel one or two ports and sailed at 15 knots to reach Fort Lauderdale from Civitavecchia,Italy because of vibration issue.

I was just on the ship and did notice that the seats in the Eclipse Theater are broken down and offer little support. They need replacing.

I assume it's now Le Petite Chef every night? Was it full?

I'm asking because I'm hoping that by the time we board in January Le Petite Chef will have run it's course, and they'll be back to the original plan to have it be a couple of times, and Q'sine again the rest of the time. (I'm not optimistic, though)

We went one night to Le Petite Chef and it was full. The food was very good and the presentation was fun but a bit gimmicky. We enjoyed it and are glad that we went but would not go a second time.

I haven’t passed lpc in the evening, but the sushi bar seems to have very few tables occupied...I wonder how long it will last. The world class bar had 1/2 price drinks last night and still remained empty. Martini bar kept 4 bartenders very busy.

We get on Eclipse as you are coming off, so following your review. When the world class bar had drinks half price were you able to get them with the classic package ?

Can I ask a quick question please? Who is the current captains club hosts and cruise director? I am wondering if they will still be onboard on my October cruise. Many thanks

Here's info on Captain Leo, the Cruise Director Giuseppe and Executive Chef Javier currently on board on the Eclipse. My understanding is Captain Leo rotates 3 months on / 3 months off. I am not sure about the CD and the Executive Chef.

The CD is a very funny guy! He does a good job.

The Captain's Club host is Elizabeth.

?ui=2&ik=ab55610de1&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1609715179261562866&th=1656db6d49708ff2&view=fimg&sz=w1600-h1000&attbid=ANGjdJ899VOrnibPg40CZKeSoag0dfgv6Onlj_ui21qMkbU1flO11_T5H4Z-pVfmDom4JA-Ifm0t0Xy3MppJKEcFLM7I8T-41HmakZPYtaoKq9X-oFV5IsbLqavPV1I&disp=emb

?ui=2&ik=ab55610de1&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1609715179261562866&th=1656db6d49708ff2&view=fimg&sz=w1600-h1000&attbid=ANGjdJ-OZY_XRzEOjggBLuKSDouLuSMCMxNWFPnJ93mMxt9UZgpvBtekKkiihf_A31xzwK9xAXmwI97nDAMCZdYkfX1vKyyB5731MXdoXrBYgxcj8KJDxsEtb10R_YE&disp=emb

?ui=2&ik=ab55610de1&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1609715179261562866&th=1656db6d49708ff2&view=fimg&sz=w1600-h1000&attbid=ANGjdJ9gzfu70sPYcUgf3dUbgtntD2TVW6P8FeqVgyQ993MaSFKqbZGEgKv3Pe82GUFjNDyOrbdE3mipE_CjRB7nLBA1jbOO06BC8XElX67LUQpt61D8pFJn5ocoJKw&disp=emb

Time to eat some of my words....on vibration. I just spent an hour walking the decks from 10-12 plus the ovc on 14.

Yes, if you stand on the starboard side near the salad area, there is stronger vibration....but not on deck 12 under it. The following is subjective...me just standing in the hallway..listening, stopping to see floor vibration, feeling the handrail.....it’s one mans view. Note: none of these were obvious...no rattling...but there seemed to be a little more vibration. Do not panic if you have one of these cabins, but if you are ultra sensitive...well maybe..

1249/1253

1625-1647

I had my hypercritical senses on...buffet..the pizza and pasta makers/servers were not wearing gloves! No, I did not say anything....maybe I should have..oh well!!

Someone tell me how to imbed pictures and I’ll post some dessert island...and salad bar pictures.

I have yet to pass any staff member who didn’t smile and say good morning or hello. Everyone seems to enjoy working on this ship....

we were in 1245 and had no vibration at any time.:D

We get on Eclipse as you are coming off, so following your review. When the world class bar had drinks half price were you able to get them with the classic package ?

Same special offer tonight..I’ll ask.

No, if you have the classic package you pay the difference to the regular price. Bar was empty at 9:30 when I stopped by to check.

More vibration tonight...martini bar was shaking. Lady next to me was complaining about vibrations and vibrating noises in her cabin on starboard side 7th deck. Maybe there’s no pattern...just try to book forward to minimize the risk.

Continuing live updates:

18th Day 1 Amsterdam - 17:00

19th Day 2 At Sea - -

20th Day 3 Rostock 9:00 23:00

21st Day 4 At Sea -

22nd Day 5 Tallinn, Estonia 10:00 18:00

23rd Day 6 St. Petersburg 7:00 -

24th Day 7 St. Petersburg - 18:00

25th Day 8 Helsinki 8:00 17:00.

26th Day 9 Stockholm 9:00 16:00

27th Day 10 At Sea - -

28th Day 11 Copenhagen 10:00 18:00

29th Day 12 At Sea - -

30th Day 13 Amsterdam 6:00 -

It's end of Day 8 - our cruise is 2/3 over!!!

Day 7 Highlights - 2nd day in St. Petersburg:

• Getting off the ship through passport control went pretty fast < 10 minutes!
  • Weather was perfect: sunny in high 60s / low 70s with light breeze.
  • We continued the 2nd day TJ Tours All Highlights St Petersburg Excursion. We were continued to be impressed with this tour package. We went seamlessly from one highlight to the next all perfectly timed with not much wasted time. We walked right into museums e.g. got into the Hermitage Museum with early admission. We noticed that some cruise conducted tours also have early admission but some DIDN'T. We saw a few Celebrity cruise tour groups lining in up the regular admission lines! Likely the cruise line's tours with early admission would have to pay more - WORTH IT for sure with the crowds we experienced.
  • I heard that not having special entry is also true for independent tour companies. e.g. we met someone on our cruise who went with SPB tours and they had to skip the Catherine Palace due to crowds. I am not sure which package they bought.
  • Our guide told us TJ had 90 tours running for the day!
  • We were brought back to the ship before 4 PM for our 5 PM sailing.
  • We watched 5 Celebrity tour excursion buses coming in AFTER the 5 PM sail off time!!! Many people run from the bus. I don't think they had to since they were on a ship excursion.
  • The evening show was forgettable: a weird song and dance production tribute to Amadeus .

Day 8 Highlights - Helsinki:

• The Eclipse docked right on time at 8 AM. .
  • There was light drizzle which dried up by the time we docked. The weather was perfect for walking tours.
  • The simplified map from Celebrity is hard to read! It was very handy to have an offline Google map to use.
  • As with other ports there were multiple ships in port. The P&O Acadia was docked next to the Eclipse. Regal Princess and another couple of other ships were docked elsewhere.
  • At around noon the town square was packed with people as were the ferry tour rides.
  • The evening show is a UK based comedian / singer. It wasn't great..

We are arriving in Stockholm in the morning. We will be docked at S167 STADSGARDEN the closest Stockholm cruise port to town distance wise: 1.5 miles. When I checked with guest services earlier in the cruise there was suppose to be a shuttle bus to town for Stockholm. This turned out not to be the case. Guests who are not taking an excursion are advised to take up the Hop On Hop Off bus or bus and boat combo or take a taxi to town.

Laurence

They are inviting various people to the helipad in and out of Stockholm. We are invited to the pad when we are leaving....not sure if it’s because we are in a C2 or elite + or random. Weather is cool and some clouds but I’ll go...my DW will be smart and just stY inside and be warm. Tonight is our TajX Indian dinner....should be interesting. So far, I have failed to find any place to try different types of herring in Finland or Sweden....my hope is finding herring in Copenhagen. Most wouldn’t care, but I like herring.

The buffet food on this cruise is really very good....very much improved from our last celebrity cruise. So far, mdr food has also been good, but last night he beef brochettes was inedible..replaced quickly with shrimp/pasta entree. Mast grill hamburgers still the best on the ship...excellent. Elite breakfast is prepared plates..no buffet.

They are inviting various people to the helipad in and out of Stockholm. We are invited to the pad when we are leaving....not sure if it’s because we are in a C2 or elite + or random. Weather is cool and some clouds but I’ll go...my DW will be smart and just stY inside and be warm. Tonight is our TajX Indian dinner....should be interesting. So far, I have failed to find any place to try different types of herring in Finland or Sweden....my hope is finding herring in Copenhagen. Most wouldn’t care, but I like herring.

The buffet food on this cruise is really very good....very much improved from our last celebrity cruise. So far, mdr food has also been good, but last night he beef brochettes was inedible..replaced quickly with shrimp/pasta entree. Mast grill hamburgers still the best on the ship...excellent. Elite breakfast is prepared plates..no buffet.

As somebody particularly interested in this special and unique dining experience, I look forward to your thoughts... looking forward to your description and how you enjoyed it. And, if you are open to taking a few photos, I'd be ecstatic. :)

As somebody particularly interested in this special and unique dining experience, I look forward to your thoughts... looking forward to your description and how you enjoyed it. And, if you are open to taking a few photos, I'd be ecstatic. :)

A couple of additional comments:

We had a private tour in St Petersburg and the company couldn’t get tickets for Catherine’s palace - apparently large tours get priority if numbers are high.

We got invited to the helipad for the sail in to Stockholm - we are first time cruisers in a veranda cabin so it looks like a random choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ghstudio - I apologize for not being clear in my last post. I think I had intended to highlight a portion of your post I quoted. Specifically, I am eager to hear about your special TajX Indian dinner being held in Sushi on Five if I recall correctly. When I board the Infinity in October, I plan to inquire about this early on and hope to book it if offered and available. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

A couple of additional comments:

We had a private tour in St Petersburg and the company couldn’t get tickets for Catherine’s palace - apparently large tours get priority if numbers are high.

We got invited to the helipad for the sail in to Stockholm - we are first time cruisers in a veranda cabin so it looks like a random choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ian21 - thanks for sharing your experiences. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

We're barely home from B2B on Eclipse for the 7/25 Baltic and 8/6 British Isles. We found that vibration occurred occasionally, there was more of it during our first cruise than the second. It was noticeable when it happened but not a big issue for us. The only time we felt it strongly enough that people were looking around with concern was once when we were in Sky Lounge for cocktail hour while leaving the pier, and that episode lasted less than five minutes. During our Baltic cruise we had a barely-aft port veranda on Deck 7. For the British leg we (prescheduled) moved to a hump veranda starboard on Deck 7. Seas were generally calm during the Baltic cruise, a little more active around Britain.

Our SPB group in St. Petersburg also skipped its scheduled visit to St. Catherine's Palace. Disappointing.

No, if you have the classic package you pay the difference to the regular price. Bar was empty at 9:30 when I stopped by to check.

Thanks for that , so only people with no package would benefit from this deal ? Probably why it was empty despite the discount

Tonight, our cabin is vibrating...not enough to rattle anything, but certainly noticeable lying in bed. We are port side in front of the rear elevators...nearer midship. There really doesn’t seem to be a pattern...but various parts of the eclipse really do vibrate....it’s a bit strange...not the unsafe, but I can see why some would complain...it certainly isn’t glass smooth tonight for us.

We ate the TajX Indian dinner tonight...will start a separate thread on that meal.

Best looking buffet lunch I’ve seen on a celebrity ship. Great selection of cakes, pies, cupcakes, apple crumble and more for dessert. Reasonable assortment of cheeses. Carving turkey and much much more. Hint: if you like spicy peppers on your salad, the pasta station has jalapeños....for pickles go to the hamburgers. Seating, as always is difficult.

Aqua spa cafe has a fixed menu with about 20 small plates. Hot sweet potato soup (terrible...but likely just prepared wrong..it was bitter). Other dishes were quite good.

Ocean view cafe specials lunch/dinner

American bbq/gourmet burgers

Stuffed meatloaf/taste of Germany

Taste of Scotland/delicatessen

Falafel and kebab/burrito corner

Taste of India/savory crepes

Taste of Russia/panini station

Taste of Finland/ceviche corner

Taste of Sweden/salmon Wellington

/Apple strudel station

pub and pies/Bruschetta station

gourmet corner/sweet crepes station

Extravaganza buffet/Belgian waffle corner

Thanks for your reports from one SW Floridian to another. We'll be boarding as you disembark (provided your not B2B) and are happy to hear you're having a great voyage.

Shawn

We're barely home from B2B on Eclipse for the 7/25 Baltic and 8/6 British Isles. ...

Our SPB group in St. Petersburg also skipped its scheduled visit to St. Catherine's Palace. Disappointing.

We heard that another SPB tour skipped Catherine's Palace during our days in St. Petersburg. If this happened on multiple days and multiple tours perhaps something is going on with SPB? May be they stopped getting priority access vs. other private tour companies?

I also heard that one group with Alla tours took a metro ride vs. just going down to the St. Petersburg metro (part of our tour with TJ tours)? The metro is old, beautiful and extremely clean. Cost is < $1.

Who knew? We’ve had some interesting port stops. We arrived in Stockholm the day of the Swedish marathon....we didn’t have to go far to see it...they ran right by our ship...just go to the port side and look down. On to Helsinki where they were holding a major triathalon....which we never saw...didn’t impact a thing. Finally we arrive in Copenhagen on the one day that president macron of France decides to visit...police everywhere, helicopters, navy folks in boats on the canals. Only minor issues with traffic...we were lucky.

We went on one of our rare celebrity excursions today....somehow the guide left two people behind at TiVo life gardens (they apparently were able to join another ship tour so at least they were ok). Our guide was not great...no enthusiasm...we were very rushed and hearing was hard...no amplification or headphones. No map given to us at Tivoli gardens...we had to search for one and it was free. It will be a long time before we take another celebrity tour.

Last night was lobster night. My DW said it was pretty good..I had the lamb chops which were excellent.

Nothing new to report on vibrations. We felt more last night but by morning they were gone and as far as I could tell we were going the same speed. It must be how the ship interacts with the sea direction and wind..