Camara del losbos

Ashby

We are trying to decide whether to do Hoho in Funchal or get the local bus to Camara del losbos (unsure of the number etc). Then visit the Wine Lodge for a tour I would book on line in the afternoon and then just a wander around town enroute back to ship .?How far would it be to walk to this area from the bus stop or would we need another bus. Or would the hoho be a better bet - we always worry that if busy we may spend wasted time just waiting for buses.

We've taken the bus to Camara and loved wandering round this pretty little harbour and market and relaxed in the sunshine enjoying lunch. We took a Rodoeste bus from the Promenade- towards the market and on that side of the road. We bought our tickets from a little kiosk nearby - but make sure it's the right company. Think this is the timetable. We also took the bus to Ribeira Grande another time. Little to see there but we took the fast bus one way and came back over the mountains and the views were amazing. We saw the real Madeira It was a very exciting journey.

http://www.rodoeste.com.pt/Horários/ctl/carreira/mid/477/c/8

I visited Camara de Lobos on my last cruise to call in at Madeira. I got the Yellow Bus HOHO bus, which was fine. I also did the side-trip from Camara to the Cabo Girao mirador high up in the hills, which I thought was worth doing. There was a cafe there and a tourist market. I would suggest that if you are going to Camara de Lobos, you really need to have lunch or some refreshments there to make it worthwhile. It is pretty but there is very little there.

Thanks for the quick replies and the bus trip sounds great to Ribera Brava. Would will still have time to look around Funchal. We should be in port from 8-6pm

We got the bus at 9:00 which goes straight to RB on the fast road through tunnels etc. Arrived at 9:30 and got off at the last stop by the Promenade. Time for a quick coffee just round the corner on the left then get the 10:10 bus from the stop just up from the one you got off at. Back in Funchal by 11:30. Well worth it

Thanks for all the help.We have decided to do the trip to Ribeira as suggested and book a wine tour at Blandys in the afternoon and just have a look at places as we pass by back to the port. If raining we will just go on the local bus to Camara and back and go for a wander plus wine tour.Hopefully the weather will be ok End April. Now to plan Lisbon......

We're usually there in January or February and have always had sunshine so fingers crossed for you.

The old tram in Lisbon is worth doing - far more exciting than the toboggan in Funchal! Also some lovely places round the coast. Or the area around the big bridge you sail under is historic and very interesting. Just a thought.

Lisbon is one of my favourite cities. A lovely, compact city centre that - if you are free of any mobility restrictions - you can walk around easily. As said above, the old trams around the Alfama district are fun or you can jump on a local bus to Belem, where you can visit the Monument to the Navigators, Jeronimos Monastery and visit the Antiga Confeitaria de Belem for the most delicious Pasteis de Nata - which are gorgeous Portuguese Custard Tarts!

In Lisbon l am trying to decide whether to do the hoho or get an all day ticket for public transport. We love the idea of the trams but worry about recent reports about how busy (therefore long wait) they are. Have also thought of booking a walking tour of the old area then public transport to Belem to do our own thing. We are ok mobility wise but my husband is registered blind. He has some sight but needs guiding on uneven surfaces.He would see more and learn more on the walking tour but would find the trams a great experience. We were going to spend a week in the Lisbon area of Portugal last year but was cancelled due to Monarch collapse. I am mindful of not trying to squeeze that holiday into 8 hours so need to find correct balance of sights,information and relaxing.

You are right to rethink the old style trams. They aren’t the largest, they do get packed and they aren’t that regular.

We managed to get on one on our first visit to Lisbon up to the castle, on a subsequent holiday to the area we visited Lisbon twice and hardly saw an old tram. We did wait for one and we only saw one going the other way.

There was a very long queue, lots of cruise ship passengers. The driver stopped and gave priority to the locals, waving them to the front of the queue. By the time they were on it was full!

I also seem to remember without a travel pass they were expensive.

The modern service to Belem is a different story. Larger modern trams and very regular service along the river.

In Lisbon l am trying to decide whether to do the hoho or get an all day ticket for public transport. We love the idea of the trams but worry about recent reports about how busy (therefore long wait) they are. Have also thought of booking a walking tour of the old area then public transport to Belem to do our own thing. We are ok mobility wise but my husband is registered blind. He has some sight but needs guiding on uneven surfaces.He would see more and learn more on the walking tour but would find the trams a great experience. We were going to spend a week in the Lisbon area of Portugal last year but was cancelled due to Monarch collapse. I am mindful of not trying to squeeze that holiday into 8 hours so need to find correct balance of sights,information and relaxing.

Unfortunately the pavements in Lisbon are very uneven black and white marble blocks and you need to be careful of lots of trip hazards

Thanks for all the help.We have decided to do the trip to Ribeira as suggested and book a wine tour at Blandys in the afternoon and just have a look at places as we pass by back to the port. If raining we will just go on the local bus to Camara and back and go for a wander plus wine tour.Hopefully the weather will be ok End April. Now to plan Lisbon......

The wine tour at Blandys is great but they now also have an excellent restaurant in the complex where you can get a lunch or "tapas" style snacks. Good to have some carbs before the Madeira tasting.

The HOHO might be the best bet then. They have two main lines, Blue & Red. Blue does the centre of the City and Red goes out to Belem. There also seems to be a smaller line served by mini-buses - that is the Green line but not sure if that is included in the ticket or not. The City Sightseeing website says between the two lines, all cruise ship terminals are covered.

Yes we will certainly have a stop for tapas time allowing.Still uncertain what to do in Lisbon Fancy the information at walking pace on a walking tour but concern that we might slow the group down or fall too far behind.Concerns re hoho is if busy may not be able to hop of etc. May research places of intrest and just us public transport. Luckily all other POC sortedI also realise l am over stressing re Lisbon as disappointed not being able to get there for a holiday last year.

We were in Lisbon a few years ago and will be back there in late May early June, when we were there last time we did a Tuk tuc tour, we picked up the tour from outside of the tourist information, our guide was great giving us loads of info and stopping as and when. One of the things he said was that pick pockets operate on the vintage tram.