Venice hotel recommendations (merged)

poss

We're hoping to find a pleasant, quiet place to stay, convenient to the sights and sites, though not necessarily smack in the middle of the action. Restful accommodations are more important to us than a "happening" place. Can spend about $300-350 per night. Best bets? (This would be for a September visit.) Many thanks.

We stayed at the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo. We really loved it. Breakfast is served in the garden/patio (includes freshly made croissants with apricot preserves inside), and there is fresh blood red orange juice. The rooms are decorated in the "typical" Venetian style. Baths are large, with marble finishes and full bath tubs. The two owners were really wonderful. When we inquired about the closest place to buy new AA batteries for our camera, they GAVE us them.

It's a bit off the beaten path (which we loved), but it is within easy walking distance to Piazza San Marco and the train station (but take the vaparetto with luggage.) A couple of nice restaurants are in the area. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.com.

Enjoy your time in Venice!

Here's another vote for the Antiche Figure!

What a great little hotel on the Grand Canal, convenient to a vaporetto stop. The rooms are roomy, the baths modern with murano light fixtures and air conditioned, too! They serve a great breakfast for $5 euro (a bargain in Venice) and internet is complementary.

While it is away from the big sights, we found that it was fun and easy to find our way just by walking and using the map provided by the staff. BTW, the staff were friendly and helpful. Check out the Antiche Figure on Tripadvisor.com for more opinions and have a great time in Venice!

Thank you for the many replies. I'm looking into each of them.

Not sure in what section we want to stay, since we don't know Venice at all (was there for a week, but that was 40 years ago). As mentioned in original post, main thing for us is to have very quiet accommodations. But want to be able to walk easily to sites as well.

I looked at Venere.com, but was interested to see that the hotel we fell in love with in Nice last September wasn't even listed. (La Perouse) So not likely to use them. Thanks for suggestion though.

I really do much appreciate all the suggestions.

We have booked here for 2 days post cruise. We realise that it is a wee bit out, but apparently it is very close to transport etc., which should suit us, as we will have quite a bit of luggage. If anyone has stayed here, we would be interested to know how they found the hotel. I think cleanliness is the most important thing to us. It's only two nights so we are not too worried if it is small etc.

One more vote for Locanda Orseola. It is very near Piazza San Marco, but it is tucked away in a quiet courtyard so that you never know San Marco is that close.

As said by others, the service is absolutely the best. It is rated #1 B&B on Trip Advisor. They have some rooms on the canal, just down from a Gondola station, so those go by quite a lot.

There is no elevator, but they handled all our luggage for us. Breakfast was wonderful, crepes were great.

The Locanda Orseola looked good to me too, but when I tried to book it in January for a September cruise, all of their standard rooms were already reserved. Of course, they very nicely offered a deluxe room at $300 Euros per night, but that's a little rich for my blood.

Book early !!

Bonnie

hi

I haven`t stayed there, but it a good location - near Piazza del Roma and all its transportation links. It has very good reviews on tripadvisor dot com. I think you´ve mde a good choice.

I looked at it, but couldn't be assured of twin beds. It only said "double"

and my friend and I like to travel together, but we don't sleep together,

so I continued looking.

Hotel Olimpia and Hotel Arlecchino were actually the first two hotels I looked at.

Ended up at Ca' Doge, also at Piazzale Roma, for the convenience of transport from the ship, then transport to the airport. There is also a vaporetto stop right Piazzale Roma.

Enjoy your trip!

The hotel is right on a canal and a water taxi can pull right up to the dining room window (that's right, not a mistake - a very big window) and luggage and passengers can step right in or out. See the picture of the dining room in the URL below. That big window is used as the door to the canal.

http://www.locandaorseolo.com/img/description04.jpg

FLJudi

Tintown,

We will be staying at the Olimpia in May prior to our cruise. I chose it because we are getting into Venice at night and I wanted the quickest and easiest way to get to bed after flying from the US. We have a 10 hr layover in Paris, so I want to keep things simple. I will try to remember to post here again when we return and let you know how it is. Our priority is CLEANLINESS.

We were in the Christchurch area in January for one day on a cruise. That day was the highlight of our 21 day trip. It is truly a beautiful place.

Yes, they will take you right to the "water window", but if the water is too high they cannot get you under the bridges and will have to drop you off at San Marco. It is not too far from there, but there are a couple of bridges to cross.

We were able to get directly to the hotel, but just wanted to warn you that this is a possiblity.

We stayed here for three nites prior to our cruise and it is directly on the Grand Canal a short distance from the vaparetto stop. It was a small lovely hotel with "Juliet balconies" overlooking the the Grand Canal (for an additional cost which was well worth it!). They also have a water taxi entrance which we used for a private taxi from the airport and to the cruise ship....very lovely and small hotel a short walk to St Marks and all sites.

I am a first timer and trying to book a hotel in Venice. We have a 6am flight out the next day. Any suggestions on where to stay. We will only have one day in Venice after our cruise. What is the best way to get to the airport?

Archived