Treviso Airport, Venice

Hi

We can get really good prices flying to Treviso Airport Venice for our Summit cruise in October.

I know Marco Polo is the nearest airport to the Venice cruise port but this is such a good price we are considering booking and getting a taxi to the port - we will still save.

Never having been to Venice before, is a taxi able to take you directly to the cruise port? I have read about the need for water taxis - is this the only way to do the final bit of the journey?

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Treviso is the last train stop before Venice (st Lucia station), the ship will be docked to the right of the station, you need a ride to the ship because of your luggage, if the train station is to far from the airport, take a taxi , should not be too exp.(negotiate before) and he should drive you straight to the port, also ask information at the airport about the cost etc. Speak your english slow and with a smile, Italians will be very helpful. The ship should have a shuttle to and back from St. Mark's square from there you can walk the city, it's a great city to get lost in: because you can't, I lived there. If you miss the shuttle or there isn't, always take a bus (water bus!) to and from the train station, because then you can walk back to the ship. I believe nr.1 is still the slow bus (stops every stop, great for seeing the city from the water and 88 is the fast one, stops only at the main parts in Venice. Have fun, I will be there in a few weeks....

Treviso is NOT the last train stop before Venice. It's a local train service so there are 3 stops in between: Preganziol, Mogliano Veneto, Venezia Mertra -- THEN Venezia Sana Lucia.. Train travel time is about 36 minutes. Some trains skip the fist stop mentioned above and do the trip in 31 minutes. You wold stil need to get to Treviso Central Station, though.

I am flying in to Treviso for my cruise April 25.

There is the bus for 4 euros to Piazalle Roma the main bus station its 19 miles.

There at Piazalle Roma will come the bus on cruise days for free to the port.

It stops to the right just near the bank.

You can walk to the port its about 10 min.

Or take bus 6 to the port entrance for 1 euro.

Check the web site Venice for Visitors there is all the information on bus and other transportation.

Also hotel information.

If you are flying with Easy Jet or Ryan Air (forget which one flies into Treviso - perhaps both?) a bus is supplied to take you into Venice , which is a reasonable cost. Treviso is a tiny airport but should be fine if you have got a very good price. It's about a half hour journey into Venice from there and from where the bus will drop you off its only a few minutes to the port. You could walk it if you have wheeled, easy luggage but would otherwise suggest a land taxi. Treviso is nowhere near the centre of Venice at all and is a fair distance out but you should be OK with it.

If you are flying with Easy Jet or Ryan Air (forget which one flies into Treviso - perhaps both?) a bus is supplied to take you into Venice , which is a reasonable cost. Treviso is a tiny airport but should be fine if you have got a very good price. It's about a half hour journey into Venice from there and from where the bus will drop you off its only a few minutes to the port. You could walk it if you have wheeled, easy luggage but would otherwise suggest a land taxi. Treviso is nowhere near the centre of Venice at all and is a fair distance out but you should be OK with it.

Many thanks to everyone for their good advice.

Sounds like Ryanair is the way to go if we can work out a way to get a flight back from Barcelona to Stansted. :eek: I don't mind paying more for a flight but these days British Airways aren't too reliable and Ryanair provide a good service (at half the cost). Trouble is, Ryanair doesn't fly from the easiest Barcelona airport home! Oh well, you can't have everything - I'm still working on it.

So now at least I know we can get a bus/taxi to the port (or at least within walking distance of it). Not sure if the train is a good idea - I imagine getting totally lost. LOL.

Thanks again.

Sue

Sounds like Ryanair is the way to go if we can work out a way to get a flight back from Barcelona to Stansted.
If you're prepared to fly to Treviso instead of Venice, surely you'd be prepared to fly from Girona or Reus instead of Barcelona? Same sort of problem in both directions.

An extra word of advice - if you are flying into the little airports that Ryanair or Easyjet use, you might want to take some Euros with you. We've flown into Forli (Bologna) and Ciampino (Rome) and had ATM adventures both times. At Forli the ATM is on the Departures side, and we didn't know to look there, so our taxi driver had to take us to an ATM on the way to the hotel. (In fact, he had to take us to three - at the first two my DH was so flustered that he didn't realise he was using the wrong PIN!) At Ciampino, there was one ATM in the airport at that time (2000) and it was broken. We had to dig in our pockets to find our little bit of cash to change, because we didn't know enough Italian back then to explain it to the taxi driver. Great stories to tell afterward, but nerve-wracking at the time!

Lisa

Many thanks to everyone for their good advice.

Sounds like Ryanair is the way to go if we can work out a way to get a flight back from Barcelona to Stansted. :eek: I don't mind paying more for a flight but these days British Airways aren't too reliable and Ryanair provide a good service (at half the cost). Trouble is, Ryanair doesn't fly from the easiest Barcelona airport home! Oh well, you can't have everything - I'm still working on it.

So now at least I know we can get a bus/taxi to the port (or at least within walking distance of it). Not sure if the train is a good idea - I imagine getting totally lost. LOL.

Thanks again.

Sue

Try Vueling instead. They fly nonstop from Venice Marco Polo into Barcelona main airport. Prices are usually low too, but bookings may be done well in advance. They provided a excelent service, and the airline is just superb In fact the finest in Spain.

http://www.vueling.com

You could also fly to Barcelona with Clickair. Iberia daughter. Not as nice as Vueling but reliable.

Try Vueling instead. They fly nonstop from Venice Marco Polo into Barcelona main airport. Prices are usually low too, but bookings may be done well in advance. They provided a excelent service, and the airline is just superb In fact the finest in Spain.

www.vueling.com

You could also fly to Barcelona with Clickair. Iberia daughter. Not as nice as Vueling but reliable.

Thanks Keltic, however we need flights from London-Venice, then Barcelona-London. The cruise goes from Venice and ends in Barcelona. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Perhaps vueling.com go from Barcelona to London? No worries I will check them out thanks.

And we will make sure to have plenty of Euro with us - thanks lisiamc.

Sue

Terviso is a very small Airport and getting to Venice is very easy by train or by the Ryanair Bus which hooks up with Ryanair flights.If you take the train from Treviso you can alight at Mestre Station and take a cab to the cruise terminal

If you do take the train, that is great advice from Mike about getting off in Mestre then taking a taxi. Dont carry on into Venice Central (St. Lucia station) as you then need to get back from the Island over onto the mailand (Piazza Del Roma)

There is also a blue coach (ACTV or something like that) for around 4 Euro directly from Treviso airport to Piazza del Roma. I think if I was doing it, I`d use this - this is how we get there from Marco Polo and I know they have the same service to Treviso, I think it runs every 1/2 hr or so.

From P d Roma, you can either take the shuttle bus (free) to the port or take a taxi. Another alternative is a taxi directly from the airport to the port.

Archived