baby monitor on the ship - does it work? Would you use one?

lord500

Morning folks.

Taking the little man (8 mo old) on his first cruise next week. while getting organized I started thinking: "what if I brought my baby monitor on the ship" Would it work to give me enough range to relax in the lounge down the hall?

Obviously I would test it out to see what sort of range it actually has before leaving him. But I'm wanting to know if anyone has used one before? What are your thoughts - does all the metal on the ship render it useless?

specifics:

I am in the rear Right corner of the ship, deck 8

Deck six has a lounge area right below us (2 decks)

Anglecare monitor

Thoughts?

Am I wasting my time hauling the anglecare, or is there a better solution?

Thanks

B.

With all the metal framing on a ship I don't think you will get good reception on the monitor.

Also...I am not sure it would be a good Idea to leave the little one unattended with just a baby monitor anyway on the cruise. Thinkkof it like leaving your little one alone in an apartment to go down 2 floors...it is equivilent to leaving them home alone.

Bottom line...I don't think the monitor would work very well.

We took the monitor when we cruised with our 9-month old and found it had the range of about two staterooms, probably due to all the metal walls and floor. Ended up staying in the room during nap times. If not tired myself, I would wait for her to fall asleep in the pack-n-play, then drape the bedspread over it to block the light when I opened the curtain to read. No baby supplies were available onboard, so we came loaded with two cases of baby food, one case of diapers and wipes, an umbrella stroller, two Baby Bjorns (for shore excursions), bibs, toys, baby lotion, and talcum powder. Bring a small container of laundry detergent so you can do emergency washings in your stateroom sink and use the clothesline there. And straws so she can drink the chilled and/or pureed soups.

Last year, we tested this out with a simple fisher price monitor (its like $20 for one receiver). Anyway, I was on one end in the room 'test, test..." and my husband walked. He only got a couple of doors down. We're not sure if it was the distance, or, the fire doors down the hall that created too much interference. We have rooms across the hall and hope they will work on our upcoming trip.

I would also consider that if there is an emergency that requires closing the fire/security compartmented doors (or whatever they're properly called), you could be prevented from getting to your baby with absolutely no recourse. I can't imagine leaving an infant alone in the cabin and going to a lounge, even if the baby monitor worked at that distance. The thought of being separated in an emergency makes me queasy.

beachchick

In light of the recent problems on Splendor, would you really want to leave a child alone in a cabin? Like beachchick said, what would you do if there was an emergency where the fire doors closed and you couldn't get to your child? How would you handle that? Once those doors are shut, you can't open them. One should never leave an infant or toddler alone in a cabin on a cruise ship. And, you do realize that anyone with a pass key can get into your cabin? What if your baby starts crying, a crew member hears this, goes into your cabin and finds an infant all alone with no parent to be found? I suspect you'd be hearing from those in charge that it's quite irresponsible to keep a child alone in a cabin--especially two floors away?????? You can't possibly be serious on that. Maybe across the hall, but two floors away in a bar/lounge?

I would also consider that if there is an emergency that requires closing the fire/security compartmented doors (or whatever they're properly called), you could be prevented from getting to your baby with absolutely no recourse. I can't imagine leaving an infant alone in the cabin and going to a lounge, even if the baby monitor worked at that distance. The thought of being separated in an emergency makes me queasy.

beachchick

Absolutely correct. Our last cruise with kids, two of them (teens) were in the cabin across the hall. There were two fires in the engine room on this cruise, and each time, the fire doors closed; their room was on the other side of the door.

You're a parent, and that means not being able to do some of the things you would like to do, when you would like to do them. A better solution is to let baby fall asleep in his stroller, and then bring him with you.

Edited by 6rugrats

I haven't had the chance to keep up with all the posts on CC in a while, but reading recent posts (besides this one) makes me a little disappointed in the way some people respond to some posters.

"are you serious?" "you must be joking" etc.

Really - do people come on here and post things out of the blue just to stir people up? Maybe - it seems to be working.

The OP has 8 posts - he might be new to cruising in general. The person is reaching out for guidance. They may have no clue what a boat is like (i.e. fire doors) since they've not been on one. People have multi-story houses...or do garden work at their houses while their baby sleeps inside the house and that may be ok (depending on the situation). Educating new cruisers and/or new parents to the environment can be very helpful and hopefully we can help them have a better and safer cruise experience. Attacking them (ok - that might be a bit strong) - they may never come back to get good advice again. Just answer the question instead of injecting insults and assumptions (i.e., drinking/bar was never in the original post).

Thanks to those who have posted general reasoning behind your standpoint - it helps folks understand a little better - it wasn't my post - but I'm always trying to be a better cruising parent ;)

• Like 2

AgVball, I think what gets posters stirred up, myself included, is that some of this is common sense, imho. It doesn't matter that someone is new to cruising, but in all honesty, does it take a cruise bulletin board in order for a parent to know that you should not leave an infant alone in a cabin on a cruise ship, or even a hotel, for that matter, just to go out to a bar or lounge? Sorry, but it should be common sense, regardless of whether you're a new cruiser or a veteran.

I agree that you should not leave a baby alone in the cabin for any reason, monitor or not. However, I understand your need to have some adult fun at night. You're better off using the ship's babysitting services (if they exist). Another idea might be trading off with your spouse.

I agree that you should not leave a baby alone in the cabin for any reason, monitor or not. However, I understand your need to have some adult fun at night. You're better off using the ship's babysitting services (if they exist). Another idea might be trading off with your spouse.

I was going to suggest the same thing - babysitting service or trade-off. Hubby and I did the trade-off thing with our 4-year-old this past April, and it worked out well. One night, he'd go out for adult time while I put little one to bed, and the next night, I'd go out while he stayed in the cabin with our little one.

As far as the baby monitor reception, even if it DOES receive a transmission in the lounge 2 decks down, consider the fact that the lounge will probably have too much noise from all the activities and music for you to be able to hear the monitor.

Also, for anyone "shocked and appalled" at the thought of leaving a baby in the cabin alone, please remember that this practice was not that taboo too long ago.

Last year, I picked up a guide to cruising (might have been Frommer's, but I'm not sure) that had a publication date within the last 5 years or so. In it, there was a suggestion to tuck the kiddos into bed for the night, ask the room steward to check in on them once or twice, and go out and enjoy the nightlife on board! :eek:

AgVball, I think what gets posters stirred up, myself included, is that some of this is common sense, imho. It doesn't matter that someone is new to cruising, but in all honesty, does it take a cruise bulletin board in order for a parent to know that you should not leave an infant alone in a cabin on a cruise ship, or even a hotel, for that matter, just to go out to a bar or lounge? Sorry, but it should be common sense, regardless of whether you're a new cruiser or a veteran.

I totally agree.

Last year, I picked up a guide to cruising (might have been Frommer's, but I'm not sure) that had a publication date within the last 5 years or so. In it, there was a suggestion to tuck the kiddos into bed for the night, ask the room steward to check in on them once or twice, and go out and enjoy the nightlife on board! :eek:

That wouldn't surprise me, much of the advice I read in the Frommer's guide about families, I cringe. :rolleyes:

AgVball - I see that you say that you have attempted to use the baby monitors and plan to do it again. So you are coming at this from a different comfort level than the rest of us. As you can see from some of the horrified responses, some of us just couldn't even entertain the thought for a second and that's why some of the responses are so short. ;)

Remember when Madelyn McCann went missing? Its the same thing. Some parents thought "Well, I can see how that could happen." while the other half sat there saying "HUH? They left three babies alone in a resort room?!!!" :eek:

Yes I fall into the overprotective camp. I try to offer my reasoning behind it as I offer advice for not leaving your children alone in the cabins --

--there could be a fire and the auto doors would lock and prevent you from reaching the child.

--Too many people have key cards to your cabin door, would you leave $1,000 in cash laying on the bed when you left the cabin? No? Then why would you leave the most precious thing in the world to you, your child.

--what if the child falls off the bed or pulls up out of the pack-n-play -- you would never know

If the Splendor showed us anything this week it showed us that accidents at sea can and do occur.

I used a baby monitor on our last cruise. It was a Summer Infant video monitor. We had a Royal Family Suite which had two bedrooms, a living room, two bathrooms and a very large balcony. My DD's pack and play was in the second bedroom where my 2 DS's were also sleeping. She is not the greatest napper. I used it to make sure she was lying down and a not crying. I could also hear her when she woke up in the morning. It worked out on the balcony and all through our suite. It gave me some peace of mind and saved me from constantly checking on her. I will bring it on our next cruise. We will have 2 adjoining balcony rooms. I will use it to check on DD (now 3) during naps and to keep an eye on all 3 kids (DS's are 13 and 15) while in our adjoining room.

I would NEVER consider using a monitor to go more than a few steps away from my child. Unless you had a common area to use right outside your cabin door (within sight), I don't think that you should consider leaving the room with your child unattended. Anything could happen. Just my humble opinion; we all have to make our own parenting choices.

I would NEVER consider using a monitor to go more than a few steps away from my child. Unless you had a common area to use right outside your cabin door (within sight), I don't think that you should consider leaving the room with your child unattended. Anything could happen. Just my humble opinion; we all have to make our own parenting choices.

I'm with you. Infants should be left with the grandparents in a case like this. If there aren't any, you just have to stay home until the children get older. Our responsibilities are infinite until they're reasonably functional on their own; after that, our responsibilities are merely enormous. As they say in the real world, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

I'm with you. Infants should be left with the grandparents in a case like this. If there aren't any, you just have to stay home until the children get older. Our responsibilities are infinite until they're reasonably functional on their own; after that, our responsibilities are merely enormous. As they say in the real world, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Quite right!!

First off - thank you to those who actually answered my main question - is it a realistic option. From the sounds of it, those that have tried have found the range to be no use.

Second off - I do appreciate some of the feedback about the reasonableness of it (ie the comparison to the carnival cruise and not being able to get back to the room).

I must say, I am disappointed and offended to see how quickly the thread devoled into a bashing session....

The fact someone even considered leaving an 8mo alone in the room while at a lounge is sad and irresponsible. If I ever get to the point where I need a drink that badly then it's time to head to AA.

rajones - you read far too much into my statement, without any attempt to clarify:mad:. What part of "relaxing in the lounge down the hall" translates into needing a drink so badly that I need AA?

For the record, I was asking so that while my baby was napping during the day would I be able to sit in a close location and read a book. I often sit at the lounge to read on my previous cruises - the chairs are comfortable and during the day the lounge is usually deserted. In case you were wondering - no I don't drink while reading at the lounge, nor did I before having a child either.

I am shocked at the feeling I have tonight reading these responses. The tone of so many of these posts..... it's not even worth my time to reply.

I do appreciate the efforts of the few of you who took the time to try and clarify or understand what I was asking (like shirley or lady jag). I hope my cruise is filled with folks like you.

DH and I were on a cruise a few years back when a wave crashed into the floor we were staying on (5th floor) and broke the windows in a few of the staterooms. It was so bad that some of the guests belongings were taken out to sea and there was water in the hallway. I wouldn't be leaving my little one alone in a stateroom because you never know what can happen. Just my 2 cents :)

Oh and I don't mean this as a bashing. Believe me I've considered the same thing.... but then I think back on that experience and realize it wouldn't be a great idea. Plus I bet the monitor wouldn't work with the distance between the two pieces.

Edited by niki1785