Bringing food onboard/picky eater

IPullTeethForALiving

My daughter is an extremely picky eater. (even the chicken fingers have to be a certain type and her MAC n cheese has to be in the microwave container lol) Can I put microwaveable foods, granola bars, chips, etc in my suitcase to have in our stateroom incase there is nothing she likes onboard? I'm not worried about fresh vegetables like carrots and other vegetables because I know they will have those things.

Thanks! :D

There is an enormous choice of food in the buffet; if she cannot find something to eat there then there is something radically wrong. Do you intend to take enough food on board for 3 meals a day for the whole cruise? As has been said there is no microwave in the cabins, will she eat your food cold?

My daughter is an extremely picky eater. (even the chicken fingers have to be a certain type and her MAC n cheese has to be in the microwave container lol) Can I put microwaveable foods, granola bars, chips, etc in my suitcase to have in our stateroom incase there is nothing she likes onboard? I'm not worried about fresh vegetables like carrots and other vegetables because I know they will have those things.

Thanks! :D

I'm sure you can bring any packaged food like granola bars, chips, etc. I have never seen a microwave in any cabin,

There is so much food your child will probably find something to eat. But I can't see the harm in having some back up familiar foods. It's a vacation and I am sure you want everything to go as smoothly as possible and I understand your concern.

I won't comment on the picky eater discussion. I will say that there are many options of foods on the ship from dry cereal to escargots. There is a children's menu. And peanut butter and jelly are available. You can always ask them to modify a meal (such as pasta with no sauce).

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope you will enjoy your cruise with your family.

I have a very picky eater (he’s high functioning autistic) and he’s very much looking forward to his fifth cruise in Dec.

The first time we took him on a month long holiday and cruise to an unfamiliar country, we took a suitcase of his familiar foods as back up. These were great for the land portion of the trip but we found that once we were on the ship he had a vast array of choices and we were usually able to cobble together something that vaguely resembled a balanced meal.

He’s now 11 and whilst he still acts instinctively with significant aversion to many foods, he is slowly extending his repertoire. Cruising has helped with that as the buffets and menus offer him a vast array of attractive choices that he can see and smell before selecting. He also knows he doesn’t have to eat something if he tries it and doesn’t like it - this has made him more adventurous since there is no penalty.

Right now we are working on extending his dinner time options and it’s stressful and there is a lot of wastage but it will eventually pay off - especially if we treat it as a big of an adventure and not as a battleground where lines are drawn. And you’ll find the same with yours - take a bunch of familiar snacks, encourage him/her to chose from the buffet, and don’t sweat the small stuff if they spend a week eating French fries and bananas washed down with lemonade. Both of you will have a much better holiday if you can be relaxed about the food.

I have a very picky eater (he’s high functioning autistic) and he’s very much looking forward to his fifth cruise in Dec.

The first time we took him on a month long holiday and cruise to an unfamiliar country, we took a suitcase of his familiar foods as back up. These were great for the land portion of the trip but we found that once we were on the ship he had a vast array of choices and we were usually able to cobble together something that vaguely resembled a balanced meal.

He’s now 11 and whilst he still acts instinctively with significant aversion to many foods, he is slowly extending his repertoire. Cruising has helped with that as the buffets and menus offer him a vast array of attractive choices that he can see and smell before selecting. He also knows he doesn’t have to eat something if he tries it and doesn’t like it - this has made him more adventurous since there is no penalty.

Right now we are working on extending his dinner time options and it’s stressful and there is a lot of wastage but it will eventually pay off - especially if we treat it as a big of an adventure and not as a battleground where lines are drawn. And you’ll find the same with yours - take a bunch of familiar snacks, encourage him/her to chose from the buffet, and don’t sweat the small stuff if they spend a week eating French fries and bananas washed down with lemonade. Both of you will have a much better holiday if you can be relaxed about the food.

I never personally had to deal with this situation but this is easily the best reply. I might add also to treat the food as part of the overall adventure. Try - if they don't like it they don't have to eat it. No pressure, vacation.

Don't know what ship you are on but the Regal has a separate small area in the buffet where kids foods are displayed, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, fries, etc. Also the main dining room has a nice kids menu and the dining room staff really does a great job with kids. Our granddaughters love the fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti and meatballs, fruit salad, ice cream sundaes and chicken fingers.

I'm sure she will eventually find something to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You certainly can bring packaged foods on board the ship. But in regards to your daughter being a picky eater, I am sure that if you explained it to the maitre'd on board, they would be able to prepare some simple foods such as chicken fingers for your daughter. I remember when my children were young, my wife and I brought peanut butter and jelly, as well as apple juice and boxed chocolate milk all over the world with us. don't worry, I am sure you will be able to find something for you children on board.

I was lucky in not having children who were picky eaters when growing up. Now, when it comes to my sister-in-law’s kids, this is a very different situation. They were (and still are to a point) very picky eaters. They were so picky that if a sandwich was cut in the wrong direction they complained. Well, their family went on a cruise one year and guess what? They were still picky eaters, but they did find some things to eat. One thing they actually loved was the Fettucine Alfredo. There is so much variety of food on the ship that she should be able to find some things that she likes.

I was told, on a galley tour, that there are no microwave ovens on board.

They have something hidden in the kitchen that quickly heats food.

DH told a waiter in the buffet that the coffee wasn't hot enough. The waiter whisked it away and came back in a couple of minutes with his piping hot cup of coffee. And, yes, it was the same coffee. DH brings Hazlenut Creamer for his coffee and had already added it before he complained.

DH told a waiter in the buffet that the coffee wasn't hot enough. The waiter whisked it away and came back in a couple of minutes with his piping hot cup of coffee. And, yes, it was the same coffee. DH brings Hazlenut Creamer for his coffee and had already added it before he complained.

I was told by a sous chef on the Royal that they do indeed have microwave ovens available. They're much more powerful that the one he has at home.

It could be that certain ships don't have them. :confused:

There is no microwave on the entire ship

Probably used the milk steamer/frother on the espresso machine. It will heat any liquid in a flash.

I have been told several times on several ships that there are no microwaves at all.