Just got off 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer - Ask me anything!

Do none of the 14-Day Alaska Explorer itineraries offer the Skagway port?

I'd gladly trade Icy Strait Point for Skagway. I'm not big into zip lines. And one of the "Made in Alaska" shops had stuff from China.

No Skagway on the 14 day itinerary, but you may be surprised at the Icy Strait Point stop. I expected little to nothing of interest. But, the tram tour that went into the rain forest and included a tribal cultural dance performance was interesting. Walking through the old salmon cannery building with its displays and shops also was interesting to me as well.

We've been to Icy Strait point twice on two different cruise lines. It has a lot to offer.

There is a resident humpback whale which lives there. It's not unusual to see it breach from the dock and shoreline.

Pictures tell the story best. My wife took tons on our 14 Great Explorer Alaska Cruise and created slide shows for her website. You might like to view them at the link below. Included are all of our excursions on the itinerary.

14 Day Alaskan Explorer Cruise

Alaska is amazing! Happy Sailing!

Beautiful photos...thanks for sharing!

We've been to Icy Strait point twice on two different cruise lines. It has a lot to offer.

There is a resident humpback whale which lives there. It's not unusual to see it breach from the dock and shoreline.

Pictures tell the story best. My wife took tons on our 14 Great Explorer Alaska Cruise and created slide shows for her website. You might like to view them at the link below. Included are all of our excursions on the itinerary.

I would like to see the pictures, but after I get to the site with the itinerary listed, I cannot open the pictures for a given port, i.e. "Kodiak". Anybody got any tips? Already tried cut and pasting....Thenks for any ideas.

I would like to see the pictures, but after I get to the site with the itinerary listed, I cannot open the pictures for a given port, i.e. "Kodiak". Anybody got any tips? Already tried cut and pasting....Thenks for any ideas.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. I tried all the links on my computer and smartphone and they are all working. My wife checked her site and all the links are set up correctly. She wants to know whether "Kodiak" is the only one you're having trouble with.

Here is a link directly to the Kodiak slide show. Give it a try then post back you're results.

Kodiak Highlights

Thanks

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. I tried all the links on my computer and smartphone and they are all working. My wife checked her site and all the links are set up correctly. She wants to know whether "Kodiak" is the only one you're having trouble with.

Here is a link directly to the Kodiak slide show. Give it a try then post back you're results.

Kodiak Highlights

Thanks

Well, that link seemed to load more on top bar, but still did not finish and I could not see anything. To answer your other question, I can't see any of the other port pictures either. I only get the Main page to the list of ports/ship pix. I also tried my iPad instead of my desktop with the same results. So maybe it is my Safari browser. So close and yet so far....appreciate your getting back to me, though.:)

Well, that link seemed to load more on top bar, but still did not finish and I could not see anything. To answer your other question, I can't see any of the other port pictures either. I only get the Main page to the list of ports/ship pix. I also tried my iPad instead of my desktop with the same results. So maybe it is my Safari browser. So close and yet so far....appreciate your getting back to me, though.:)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not familiar with Safari and neither is my wife. Can you try viewing them with Google or Mozilla Firefox? It could be your browser since I haven't received any negative feedback from other viewers.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not familiar with Safari and neither is my wife. Can you try viewing them with Google or Mozilla Firefox? It could be your browser since I haven't received any negative feedback from other viewers.

Safari is a mostly Mac browser, and I do not have the most recent version, so that could be the problem . I tried using your signature link, and restarted my computer, as suggested by my husband, but neither of those techniques worked. I guess I will surrender to any more attempts, and maybe retry after I update my browser after I file my taxes (don't want to goof THAT up!!!). Thanks for trying to help.

Penny

Safari is a mostly Mac browser, and I do not have the most recent version, so that could be the problem . I tried using your signature link, and restarted my computer, as suggested by my husband, but neither of those techniques worked. I guess I will surrender to any more attempts, and maybe retry after I update my browser after I file my taxes (don't want to goof THAT up!!!). Thanks for trying to help.

Penny

Thanks for the update. Hopefully everything will work out for you after you get the update. Happy Travels wherever you go.

Was the MDR open for embarkation lunch?

Can you describe the muster drill? Do you go back to your cabin, wait, then go to outdoor muster station? Do you put on life jackets? Thanks.

I didn't go to the MDR so I don't know for sure, but I've read that it usually is open unless it's reserved for something. Lido is definitely open.

You should wait in your cabin until the alarm for muster is sounded. The ship's closed-circuit television station will show how muster happens (it's on a loop) -- basically you wait for the 3rd signal before going to your muster station. You don't wear your life jackets -- just leave them in the room. (At least, that's how it worked on the Amsterdam on my 14-day Great Alaska Explorer last September.)

A couple thoughts on this being my first cruise and the age demographics. I found I really enjoyed unpacking one time and then visiting several ports over two weeks. Very relaxing vacation without many travel logistics to sort out every day. After excursions it was fun to return to the Amsterdam knowing a comfortable cabin, hot shower, entertainment and dinner as casual or as fancy as you want to have are all waiting.

At 35 and 45 we were worried we might be younger than most on HAL. Don't let this worry you. Go to a late dinner, the late show, and late drinks afterwards and you will find other younger and lively young-at-heart passengers. What we did notice was regardless of age, HAL passengers seem to really enjoy traveling making conversation easy and fun.

~Marc

My husband and I are in our late 40's and starting cruising with HAL about 10 years ago. We LOVE the slightly older demographic and less children. It's easy to find a few other couples in your age group and socialize throughout the cruise.

from original post:

Juneau. We prebooked HAL tour Taku Glacier by Air, Water, and Ice. This includes helicopter, air boat, and a hike on the glacier but all helicopters were grounded due to low clouds/visibility. Saved a lot of money but was really looking forward to this excursion.

My question is since the tour was cancelled due to weather, did you receive a refund on your credit card or as On Board Credit on the ship? I know if you cancel a tour like a week in advance, they will credit your card back, as told by my travel agent.

I use a MacBook with a safari browser. Had no problem with the Kodiak pictures tho did take a few minutes to load. The pictures were amazing. We will be on the Westerdam this October when she stops there on her way to Japan. It will be our first visit to Kodiak

Edited by mustgo

from original post:

Juneau. We prebooked HAL tour Taku Glacier by Air, Water, and Ice. This includes helicopter, air boat, and a hike on the glacier but all helicopters were grounded due to low clouds/visibility. Saved a lot of money but was really looking forward to this excursion.

My question is since the tour was cancelled due to weather, did you receive a refund on your credit card or as On Board Credit on the ship? I know if you cancel a tour like a week in advance, they will credit your card back, as told by my travel agent.

My prepaid excursion to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, BC was cancelled on April 11 due to weather and it was credited to my ship account, not the credit card used to prepay for it.