Luggage Direct

Does HAL still have the luggage direct service in FLL ? Put the luggage outside the cabin the night before and the next time you see it is at your home airport. Can't seem to find this on HAL's web site so I am curious as to if the service is still in operation. ---- we always fly American

HAL recommends two different luggage services for different purposes: Luggage Forward (door-to-door luggage shipping) and Luggage Direct (ship-to-airport service). From the FAQ on the HAL website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise%20Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,%20Packing%20%26%20Dress%20Code#

Scroll down and click on "What Are Your Recommended Luggage Shipping Services?" for descriptions and links to both.

Lana in Bellingham (who is using Luggage Forward to get her stuff from Bellingham, WA to Boston for this summer's Voyage of the Vikings -- no way I'm schlepping luggage for a 38-day trip through two airports, 2 hotels, and a couple of shuttle busses -- and that's BEFORE I board in Boston! :) )

If you are a FF member of the airline and get free luggage, will that carry over? I am assuming that if the ship prints out your boarding passes, the free luggage will be included and then you would just pay the luggage direct fees. Right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are a FF member of the airline and get free luggage, will that carry over? I am assuming that if the ship prints out your boarding passes, the free luggage will be included and then you would just pay the luggage direct fees. Right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct.

Does HAL still have the luggage direct service in FLL ? Put the luggage outside the cabin the night before and the next time you see it is at your home airport. Can't seem to find this on HAL's web site so I am curious as to if the service is still in operation. ---- we always fly American

Yes, Luggage Direct is still available in FLL, and American Airlines is a participating airline. You can sign up online or onboard the ship. I used it in December and loved it.

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland/order

Someone mentioned alternative luggage delivery other than Luggage Direct or Luggage Forward. It was very reasonably priced. I didn't bookmark it so I lost it. Can someone help me find it again?

Happy to oblige, Tinknock! Here's my 4/1/2018 Post on this subject from another Thread of the same Title as this one:

Another delivery option offered by Luggage Direct is the
Bags VIP Delivery Service
- delivery of your bags from airport to your destination. For more details on this very good (and, in our experience, dependable) service, go to the Make Travel Easier web site:

IMO both of these services are fantastic and well worth the price. (y)(y)(y)

Happy to oblige, Tinknock! Here's my 4/1/2018 Post on this subject from another Thread of the same Title as this one:

Another delivery option offered by Luggage Direct is the
Bags VIP Delivery Service
- delivery of your bags from airport to your destination. For more details on this very good (and, in our experience, dependable) service, go to the Make Travel Easier web site:

IMO both of these services are fantastic and well worth the price. (y)(y)(y)

Thanks! That was the one. I have it bookmarked now.

I think I will use Seattle's free post cruise luggage service for one bag.

I am travelling with health care equipment that I will need on the last morning of the cruise so I will have to check that at the airport. The Bags VIP service will be great with that since I won't see it again until I get to my house. I have other equipment that the service probably won't handle and I will have to retrieve at my home airport, but it will be easy to handle with fewer bags.

Haven't studied the site much yet, but will this work going to the cruise with a pre-cruise, one night, hotel stay?

Thanks! ... will this work going to the cruise with a pre-cruise, one night, hotel stay?

You are most welcome. And, yes, the Bags VIP Delivery Service will work on a pre-cruise, hotel stay. In fact, we first used Bags VIP Delivery Service when we traveled with our Granddaughters on a round-trip Alaska cruise out of Seattle, with a 3-day pre-cruise stay in Seattle. In a nutshell, the Service was fabulous and a bargain at the price. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider making arrangements by 'phone, as you may have specific needs or questions that need personal (human) attention beyond that which is possible on the LD web site. We had regular e-mail follow-ups from our LD Sales Rep, and she even telephoned us one time when we were getting very close to our departure date, to insure that we received the needed information.

You are most welcome. And, yes, the Bags VIP Delivery Service will work on a pre-cruise, hotel stay. In fact, we first used Bags VIP Delivery Service when we traveled with our Granddaughters on a round-trip Alaska cruise out of Seattle, with a 3-day pre-cruise stay in Seattle. In a nutshell, the Service was fabulous and a bargain at the price. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider making arrangements by 'phone, as you may have specific needs or questions that need personal (human) attention beyond that which is possible on the LD web site. We had regular e-mail follow-ups from our LD Sales Rep, and she even telephoned us one time when we were getting very close to our departure date, to insure that we received the needed information.

Cool. I really like their pricing so you pay $10 more for each additional bag instead of paying the full rate for each one.

I was thinking about having one item sent to the ship that we can do without at the hotel. Do you think the ship will receive it and where will it be held since I presume it would have to come on the flight with us? (The day before the ship arrives)

Good advice on using the phone a lot in my case.

... I was thinking about having one item sent to the ship that we can do without at the hotel. Do you think the ship will receive it and where will it be held since I presume it would have to come on the flight with us? (The day before the ship arrives)

Good advice on using the phone a lot in my case.

I do not know the answer to that, although I doubt that the ship/cruise line would be able/willing to store your luggage (at a public ship terminal, no less) for a day or more. It is possible that LD itself might provide "temporary" (a day or less) storage services. In any event, this is another issue to discuss on the 'phone with the LD Sales Rep. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out for you.

How does this work with customs? You are not with your bags as you got through. We have global entry, but wouldn’t I still have to go through with my bags?

I can't speak to other Ports, but when we returned from our Caribbean cruise in January (2018), we used Luggage Direct in Fort Lauderdale and were not required to have our luggage with us as we went through Customs. FWIW, we also have Global Entry Trusted Traveler, so that may have affected our experience, as well.

I do not know the answer to that, although I doubt that the ship/cruise line would be able/willing to store your luggage (at a public ship terminal, no less) for a day or more. It is possible that LD itself might provide "temporary" (a day or less) storage services. In any event, this is another issue to discuss on the 'phone with the LD Sales Rep. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out for you.

OK...I will. Thanks for all the help.

FYI. Unless recently changed, both Luggage Direct and VIP services are domestic only. FedEx is also a possibility that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread. Everything will be delivered right to your front door. I've used this service, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums