Free Style Dining Not For Me

So, even through I am young in my 20's, when I cruise I prefer set dining times. This seems to be unusual for someone in my age group who like the idea of dining like on land.. just walk in when you want.

I enjoy meeting people in the MDR on the first night and becoming friends throughout the cruise, plan activities together, meet for drinks, sunning by the pool.

Quite honestly, I have avoided NCL because they do not offer set dining times. I don't wan't to be with just my group of friends every night at a table. Or Random people. We always enjoy meeting and making friends on a cruise over dinner at a table of 8+

This is honestly I make or break thing with me in cruising? So my question is should I give NCL a try? IS there any set dining option?

I have also heard that wait times on many NCL ships are long because of the Free Style options. I don't want that. I would much rather know that at 8:30 dinner will be served right on time my seat waiting for me?

Any opinions to share to convince me or confirm what I am already thinking?

You can make a reservation for the same time every night...but you'll still be sitting with whoever you make the reservation for.

I've never waited more than 5 minutes or so, but I almost always went to dinner after 8 and if the MDR had a wait I just went to one of the other two... there was always one with a short wait and all the menus are the same.

If you're single the solo host had a reservation for dinner after the nightly happy hour...probably around 6-630.

I love eating whenever I want - but that's maybe because I've never met people at dinner on the other lines I wanted to spend all my time with. In fact, I kinda hated that I couldn't eat dinner with people I met on the cruise. Where with NCL I can eat with whoever I want.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If that is your preference and a make or break thing for you then I wouldn't put NCL in your list of cruise lines to consider. No worries though, there are plenty of other good options out there.

However, if you haven't tried it why not go for a new experience? You really have nothing to lose. NCL has some fantastic new ships with great entertainment and specialty dining options and if, like you said, you want to make new friends you will have plenty of opportunities to do that other than just at a dining table.

I think you have an expectation that simply doesn't match NCL cruise experience. If you're not willing to participate in that experience, NCL is not for you. It would be like going to Disneyland, then complaining about all the children.

The thing is, there are waaaayyyyy better places to meet people than in the dining room and they don't have the baggage or threat of forced association.

I know this doesn't address the dining portion of your question but it does address the social portion. If you have not done so yet, I suggest attending the M&G on your next cruise no matter what cruise line it is. That is a wonderful place to meet fellow passengers.

Before I tried NCL for the first time, I only cruised on lines that had fixed dining times and you were seated at the same table for the entire cruise. I didn't think I would like it, because I travel solo and really liked getting to know folks at dinner and like a set time to eat.

On NCL, I only eat in the specialty restaurants and I make my reservations a head of the cruise for the time I want to eat. I don't really miss the dinner conversation, because I usually speak with folks all over during the cruise.

You will never know if you like it, if you don't try it. What is the worst that can happen?

I love NCL for their freestyle dining. With you question though, I have been on over 10 NCL cruises and have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table. I don't think you should be worried about that. I say give it a go. There are so many other aspects to NCL that I love besides their dining.

sail on a larger ship, and stay in a studio cabin. from what i understand, they have a separate lounge area and its a great way to meet other solo travelers.

you can book a standing rezzie in the MDR for every night (or book ahead for a speciality). we always do this as we like to be able to plan our evenings knowing we will eat at 7pm (which is the busiest time, but with a rezzie we've never had to wait).

We always make new friends on a cruise, and it has never been over dinner. Trivia, bars, excursions... one time, our kids made friends at the kids' club and we ended up having fun with the other set of parents. If you are completely locked into the notion that dinner is THE place to meet new people, don't book NCL. But if you are open to meeting people in a variety of settings, NCL is great.

One dining place to meet folks on NCL is at Teppanyaki. Since I'm typically seated with 11 of my closest friends (10 of whom I typically haven't met yet) and the atmosphere is quite entertaining and social, it is a fun, engaging experience.

So, even through I am young in my 20's, when I cruise I prefer set dining times. This seems to be unusual for someone in my age group who like the idea of dining like on land.. just walk in when you want.

I enjoy meeting people in the MDR on the first night and becoming friends throughout the cruise, plan activities together, meet for drinks, sunning by the pool.

Quite honestly, I have avoided NCL because they do not offer set dining times. I don't wan't to be with just my group of friends every night at a table. Or Random people. We always enjoy meeting and making friends on a cruise over dinner at a table of 8+

This is honestly I make or break thing with me in cruising? So my question is should I give NCL a try? IS there any set dining option?

I have also heard that wait times on many NCL ships are long because of the Free Style options. I don't want that. I would much rather know that at 8:30 dinner will be served right on time my seat waiting for me?

That’s too bad since set dining times are a thing of the past. Yes, other lines are keeping them around, but are slowly evolving to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. They understand that they have to evolve or suffer the fate of the dinosaurs. When we first started cruising, there was no such thing as a balcony room. Now, every cruiseline maximizes the balconies on their ships.

I think being social is part of the fun of the conviviality of cruising. I don't think however, that the dining arrangements you are seeking are those that NCL possesses.

For those who really want the more Restaurant type of personal dining, that is with who you know or who you are with, its a super line for that.

Don't know your budget and marital status, but if you are in the Haven on one of the ships that has a restaurant, you will see the same folks over and over. Not that you sit with them, but if you run into someone on the ship multiple times, it usually invites conversations. I agree about the studio area and also that the M&G is a great place to start....after all, M&G folks are already cruise fans!

I wasn't sure I would like the anytime dining when we first cruised NCL, but personally, I have found that I really enjoy it. (And likewise, have not experienced any long wait times.) However, I am usually with at least one other person, so can't speak on behalf of anyone going it alone. We usually bring cards on board, and will often find others who are interested in learning or teaching a new game.

Likewise, we still dress up at dinner, but hey, I don't have any issues with those who chose another route. It is THEIR vacation, just like it is YOUR vacation......and vacations are usually what YOU make of them. But only YOU know your likes/dislikes. I say take someone with you and give it a try (but so far, I haven't met a cruise I didn't like:))!

We chose NCL for the very reason you are hesitant to do so. But as other posters have mentioned, you can make a reservation, and even if you just show up, the wait is not long at all....10 mins max. If you do have to wait, there is a good chance you will get a free glass of wine while you wait.

One other option you might consider is asking to sit with someone. There are times they will put 2-4 groups at one table.:)

let's just say, don't knock it until you try it. If the program was not successful why would most of the others lines decided to offer it? You are right about the eating with the same people every night, but think about it this way: what happens when you have table mates you have nothing in common with? Believe me, and I have cruised over 40 times this happens more often than you may think? There is nothing worse than spending 7 or more days with table mates you do not have anything in common with.

The other issue you mentioned is long waits. For the most part those days are long gone. When NCL first introduced free style, yes, there were often long waits. Now days, generally you are seated with in 10 minutes to the time you walk up and get your name on the list. Often you are seated immediately. There are times when the wait can be a little longer if you happen to hit at the busiest time.

Getting to know people and planning activities is fun, but there are so many ways to do this. You can get to know people by attending the M&G for starters or playing trivia with the same people a couple of days in a row. We have met people we enjoy at breakfast of lunch eating in the main dining room a few times.

I would add if this is a deal breaker that is your choice and no one can change this, but you might be missing something by not trying freestyle. Do you cruise as a solo? If so, why not find a friend to cruise with or attend the first get together for singles. I think it is normally on the very first night. That is another way to make new friends and a much better one than depending on table mates.

Edited by newmexicoNita

You could also be like my wife and I. We were on a carnival cruise may years ago when they only had set dining times. We had a table and another couple was assigned to it as well. After the first night we never saw them again and we had the table to ourselves. Only assume that they at at the buffet as there were no other places to eat

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My husband and I had always cruised set dining times and we did meet some great table mates and waitstaff until our last time when we were put at a table with a family who were rude to the waitstaff, very loud and demanding. Decided to try NCL and love it. RCCL also has my time dining now too. We now meet great people at the pool or bar or karaoke

Just to give you an example of how freestyle dining could work to your benefit, when my husband & I sailed to Bermuda, we befriended a couple at the cruise critic meet & greet, and had several dinners with them throughout the week. Had we been assigned a time and tablemates, we would have been unable to do that. As it was, we were able to walk up to any dining room and request a table for four instead of two. One afternoon I made a few friends at a margarita tasting, and we decided to have dinner together in Le Bistro. One of the people already had a reservation for two, and we were able to increase it to six and join them, without leaving assigned tablemates hanging around to see whether or not we were coming to dinner. You'd be surprised how beneficial to your onboard social life the flexibility can be!