The Spirit stretch?

Mudhen

Could I use this occasion to resurrect a question I put in another thread and to which there has been no reply?

The question follows:

BTW: They are adding new cabins (and, as I recall, ~100 additional passengers. I may be mistaken about numbers). Will the size of the existing restaurants be increased? Or are they trying to squeeze more passengers into the smaller spaces previously used for MDR and La Terrazza?

Some info from management would be welcome. Perhaps it's already available and I have not seen it.

I have a couple of post drydock Spirit cruises booked and am concerned that my preferred dining venues will be crowded. One, the Restraurant, will disappear and will be divided into two spaces. But the footage previously dedicated to a smaller passenger load will have to accommodate a larger group (esp. on terribly hot or cold or wet days when people do not want a pizza dinner or to cook their own.). Ditto La Terrazza. It's already very crowded pre or post tour. Are they enlarging the buffet and seating area for the larger passenger cohort.

Could I use this occasion to resurrect a question I put in another thread and to which there has been no reply?

The question follows:

BTW: They are adding new cabins (and, as I recall, ~100 additional passengers. I may be mistaken about numbers). Will the size of the existing restaurants be increased? Or are they trying to squeeze more passengers into the smaller spaces previously used for MDR and La Terrazza?

Some info from management would be welcome. Perhaps it's already available and I have not seen it.

I have a couple of post drydock Spirit cruises booked and am concerned that my preferred dining venues will be crowded. One, the Restraurant, will disappear and will be divided into two spaces. But the footage previously dedicated to a smaller passenger load will have to accommodate a larger group (esp. on terribly hot or cold or wet days when people do not want a pizza dinner or to cook their own.). Ditto La Terrazza. It's already very crowded pre or post tour. Are they enlarging the buffet and seating area for the larger passenger cohort.

Not sure about the restaurants but the published guest capacity increases from 540 to 608.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, if you look and compare both deck plans you can see that La Terrazza expands into the old Stars Supper Club and the boutiques lose some space for the Silver Note. There is also extra space on deck 4 but if they have the wrong design or order the wrong chairs again they will not really gain any space in changing the MDR to Atlantide and Indochine. Good luck and please let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

e5b8e49ac74c9d9cd87380e99fc972f1.jpg

We are on board Silver Spirit, disembarking in an hour. The photo shows one of the containers which has been delivered to the pool deck, ready for the stretching work.

Many Head Office staff and dry dock workers as well as 300 SS crew will work on board between here and Italy over the next 10 days as she sails to the dry dock.

e5b8e49ac74c9d9cd87380e99fc972f1.jpg

We are on board Silver Spirit, disembarking in an hour. The photo shows one of the containers which has been delivered to the pool deck, ready for the stretching work.

Many Head Office staff and dry dock workers as well as 300 SS crew will work on board between here and Italy over the next 10 days as she sails to the dry dock.

We believe that what the Spirit needs is not more passengers, but increased public space and perhaps crew numbers. Putting on more passengers will just move it down market.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733105

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296987&page=2 (#27DGF, #29)

We have watched the Spirit's design and construction with great expectations, but we have been somewhat disappointed. The Spirit is definitely a step down from the beloved Shadow:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1317609

Edited by meow!

I’m a little disappointed to see they brought containers on board and made some public areas “off limits”. Brings back memories of our last Holland America cruise on the Maasdam years ago. She was going into drydock after our cruise and they actually started stripping parts of the ship down during the last two days of a 14-day cruise. Quite frankly we felt a bit cheated and indeed that turned out to be our last HAL cruise for that and many other reasons.

We are also a bit concerned about what the stretch and reconfiguration of the Spirit is going to be like. We started with the Wind six years ago and she’ll probably always be our favorite but we’ve had two cruises on the Spirit and have come to love her almost as much as the Wind. Not opposed to change and improvement so we’ll see.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned what a leap of faith and extraordinary trust for those inaugaral cruise passengers will be making when booking a cruise following this level of refit and rebuild planned to be completed in just eight weeks of dry dock.

:)

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned what a leap of faith and extraordinary trust for those inaugaral cruise passengers will be making when booking a cruise following this level of refit and rebuild planned to be completed in just eight weeks of dry dock.

:)

We’ve been on one cruise on a ship just out of dry dock and one just before dry dock, as mentioned above, and said “never again”. I can understand the desire and maybe excitement of being the first to experience a new or significantly renovated ship but we quickly got over that after our experience. We had enough plumbing and AC issues that we’ve avoided first-out cruises ever since. Even though we’re warm weather people that cruise was in the Caribbean and it was pretty uncomfortable a couple of days and nights.

I wonder how many of the pax on the inaugural voyage even know? D'ya think SS told them?

Obviously if it’s a full on first revenue sailing of a new ship then I’d think the majority of passengers would know as all cruise lines make a pretty big deal of that. After a typical dry dock? Maybe not so much. Of course I’d hardly characterize what the Spirit is going to go through as a typical dry dock so maybe Silversea will make a big deal of it when she comes back on line in May.

I’m a little disappointed to see they brought containers on board and made some public areas “off limits”.

The Spirit docked at 0730 and disembarkation started at 0845. I would not say the the containers spoilt our last hour. Rather the reverse, as it was interesting to watch.

Spirit left Dubai at 1500 yesterday and is sailing for Palermo. I believe she has a call in Greece to off load some crew.

The Spirit docked at 0730 and disembarkation started at 0845. I would not say the the containers spoilt our last hour. Rather the reverse, as it was interesting to watch.

Spirit left Dubai at 1500 yesterday and is sailing for Palermo. I believe she has a call in Greece to off load some crew.

So they brought on board that last morning? If so that’s good. On the Maasdam cruise I mentioned they actually loaded the containers in a Caribbean port before Ft Lauderdale so we had them on deck for almost three days. Then they actually started closing venues and tearing carpet out. Most of the work was done in the middle of the night so you’d get up in the morning and another area would be torn up.

Edited by Randyk47

Yes, the containers were loaded in Dubai only an hour before we disembarked. We did not see any other preparations apart from a few ‘managers’ pointing at the spot on the deck where the cut will be made and they boarded two days before the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk