Interesting blog regarding AA schedule changes

txjim09

As there are lots of schedule change issues posted on this board, I thought I'd link to the blog post of the Cranky Flier who covers many aspects of the industry 3X weekly. Not associated in any way, just a regular reader.

Today's blog is in regards to AA and their stated new policy regarding schedule changes. An interesting example was the fact that before this stated change, the schedule offered for sale was simply a copy of their 2015 schedule. Interesting because that schedule included flights on a number of MD-80 aircraft that are not in the AA fleet anymore meaning that the schedule as sold was unexecutable. This was true as of 2 weeks ago. The change appears to be that, in theory, AA will use more realistic schedules for flights sold more than 150 days out.

In any case, I believe the article is an interesting read and probably applies to all of the majors (except for Southwest, I suppose.)

http://crankyflier.com/2018/03/12/americans-flight-schedules-dont-solidify-until-100-days-out-and-thats-a-big-improvement/

Got caught up in this myself last fall, but at 30 days out. AA cancelled our nonstop flight replacing it with a lengthy 1 stop with long layover. Had they cancelled earlier, more options for alternative routes would have been available. When they stopped selling the flight about 100 days out, we thought that meant it was sold out. Wrong, it meant they had cancelled it, but waited until the 30 days out time frame to reschedule and notify people. Of course, only the crappiest of seat assignments were left at that point!

I called and raised hell with AA on the issue and told them I would now book an upcoming TA flight on a competitor because of how jerky they were.

One of the worst decisions AA ever made was to acquire USAirways! They should have just let them go under and then cherry pick the routes they wanted. Let the junk planes they flew rust away!

One of the worst decisions AA ever made was to acquire USAirways! They should have just let them go under and then cherry pick the routes they wanted. Let the junk planes they flew rust away!

Sorry but both airlines had their fair share of crappy planes. I've spent more time than I care to admit waiting for AA MD-80 maintenance delays when I could have been taking a brand new US Airways A321, for example.

pinotlover: unless my memory is totally faulty, I believe the US/AA deal was a merger in which US had the $$$ ... and the consolidated carrier agtreed to use the AA name

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

More or less. US Airways really kinda took over AA, but kept the AA name, AA headquarters (in Dallas, versus US being in Phoenix), and some other things.

Even more interestingly, America West took over US Airways before that...so in a sense, America West is now the largest airline in the world.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

More or less. US Airways really kinda took over AA, but kept the AA name, AA headquarters (in Dallas, versus US being in Phoenix), and some other things.

Even more interestingly, America West took over US Airways before that...so in a sense, America West is now the largest airline in the world.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Yes, my memory as well ... tho I think the current AA made it seem they had the $$ and power and brought US into their fold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Yes, my memory as well ... tho I think the current AA made it seem they had the $$ and power and brought US into their fold.

Unfortunately, they also brought over the US management, which is why they are going downhill fast!!

From a customer perspective I have found that American Airlines has been much better the past two years then it has been over a fifteen or so year period.

New planes. Better service on the flights and at the airport and in their club lounges.

They certainly have issues as do most companies and I can see the tension between the legacy companies but that is usually the case in almost any merger/takeover.

Keith

From a customer perspective I have found that American Airlines has been much better the past two years then it has been over a fifteen or so year period.

New planes. Better service on the flights and at the airport and in their club lounges.

They certainly have issues as do most companies and I can see the tension between the legacy companies but that is usually the case in almost any merger/takeover.

Keith

I've been AA EXP for about 11 years now, and have had generally solid service throughout. Some good, some bad of course, but even during their bankruptcy times, I found most employees pleasant. But I do agree that my flights over the last year or two have seemed almost consistently very good.

I've been AA EXP for about 11 years now, and have had generally solid service throughout. Some good, some bad of course, but even during their bankruptcy times, I found most employees pleasant. But I do agree that my flights over the last year or two have seemed almost consistently very good.

In my case I've been flying them for 40 years and until I retired several times a month.

For me the past couple of years the overall package has improved.

Newer Planes

Upgrades at Lounges including improved food

Better food on flights in Business/First Class

A few improved touches such as pajamas on international flights in business class.

Improved service when calling in, at airport and on flight

Are all flights perfect no? Last couple of years had a couple of flights where planes were worn and some flight attendants not very focused but most flights have been much improved.

It's not like it was in those good old days but that's life.

It was apparent to me that something made no sense with the schedules. When I booked a coupe of flights saw three flights to same airport within two hours and knew that one or two would be dropped. I tired to pick the ones that I thought would remain. Right once. Wrong once.

So it goes.

Keith