Magenta vs Grand Pacific on the Gem?

annabug

Hi Everyone!

Wondering what the difference is (besides decor) of these 2 restaurants?

We have 4 night specialty dining but wanted to try some of the complimentary too

I also would like to try Orchid Garden

Any input appreciated!

One is also more formal in its dress code that the other, I believe. I don't remember which one though.

Grand Pacific is the more 'formal' of the 2. No shorts, flip flops, etc allowed in theory - they don't always enforce. As others have said, they have the exact same menu

Dress code is one of those iffy things.

I can tell you that Grand Pacific did not turn shorts away on my December cruise. Only thing I have seen them turn away is tank tops. Not sure if they do shoe inspections from behind their podium.

Hi Everyone!

Wondering what the difference is (besides decor) of these 2 restaurants?

We have 4 night specialty dining but wanted to try some of the complimentary too

I also would like to try Orchid Garden

Any input appreciated!

As others have said, Grand Pacific and Magenta are the 2 MDRs; the menus are identical. We love the atmosphere of Grand Pacific -- big, open, two decks high. Magenta is like being in a land-based restaurant in terms of "feel." Not saying you shouldn't try it; we had great service last year in the Jewel's equivalent restaurant.

As for Orchid Garden, I know food is subjective, and this is just my opinion: Orchid Garden is mediocre at best. (The apps aren't awful, which is hardly a rave review.) I wouldn't waste a dinner there. It can also be quite noisy, as it's right above open bar and music areas below. I can't believe this was once an upcharge restaurant; I don't even think it's worth it for free in terms of the opportunity cost of not dining at someplace much better.

Enjoy your cruise!

I guess this is what individual tastes amount to. My wife and I much preferred Magenta to he Grand Pacific. Food was good in both, but I liked not having the huge cavernous feel of the GP. Every sound was magnified into dull roar, plus GP is at the back of the ship, so you feel every movement.

THANK YOU one and all for your input!! We are going to try all 3 GP Magenta Orchid Garden !! Along with La Cucina Tappanaki Le Bistro and Cagneys!!

Sounds like a great plan!

We prefer the GP since The less formal Magenta tends to be noisy with more kids running around. I know this a generalization, but it is what we have experienced.

GP is good for breakfast and lunch because of the windows.

By the time dinner rolls around (at least for us) its dark out so the windows dont matter.

GP is supposed to be "fancier" but ive seen peopel in shorts and jeans at night so its not really enforced.

I do not recommend the Orchid Garden. The menu was uninspiring, and the restaurant itself was extremely loud. The restaurant is open to the deck below, right above Bar City, where there is a stage. Which means you get LOUD music from below disturbing your meal, to the point where the waitstaff and I were shouting at each other just to be heard. Had the menu been better, I might deem it worth it. But it isn't.

OP, when are you sailing the Gem ?? We will back on her in a few weeks for the 3rd. time, stay tuned for an update later on.

GP has more windows and smaller tables, but those that seat 2's and 4's are usually right next to / on top of each other - so, feel free to converse with strangers/neighbors next to your "own" table while waiting. With a bigger group, we also like going to the back of the ship - with luck, we get to sit all the way back & watch the "wake" of the ship ... not for all when sea conditions are choppy rough.

Food opinion are highly subjective & personal. Having done the BTS tour, I can say that the gallery is practically almost equal distance to both MDR so food temperature shouldn't make a big difference. But, it seemed Magenta tend to do better, slightly faster service & improved odds of a warmer entree ... once they leave the UV/heat lamp plated stations.

Food is otherwise identical. GP is open for breakfast & lunch on sea days, so we try to mix it up and eat in Magenta for dinner more in the evening (except for the 2 nights of comp'd specialty meals). Server teams rotate so you might see the same crew member assigned to OSH or even the buffet.

IMHO, Orchid Garden's limited choice menu these days aren't good - and, I don't recommend it (biased, personally - disclaimer NOTED) whereas, on the Breakaway, DW and I don't mind going to Shanghai Noodles for a light supper, or possibly just to order some "snack" items as the serving size is "petite", good for those on Weight Watcher plans ... LOL.

We were on the Gem March 6-17, 2018 and I was surprised that there was no longer a difference in the dress codes between GP and Magenta.

Personally I think the tables in GP right at the aft beside the windows are amongst the best tables on the ship. Magenta always seems dark and confined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk