Car Rental Pickup and Dropoff

Krozulo

I have car rentals booked for Kauai (Nawiliwili) and Hilo for my Princess cruise in April. What's the best way to get from the pier to Dollar Rent-a-Car at the airport (Lihue and Hilo respectively)? Should I find out about Dollar's shuttle service, if any? Or take a taxi? There will be 4 of us in the group so I'm concerned that the shuttle will only take me as the driver then I have to drive back to pick up the rest of the group. I'd kind of like to minimize delays as much as possible. I've already signed up for Dollar Express.

Also, when dropping off the car at the end of the day, how soon before the ship departs should I aim to be at Dollar? Factoring in time to return the car then get back to the ship, and allowing a safe buffer in case of problems.

I have car rentals booked for Kauai (Nawiliwili) and Hilo for my Princess cruise in April. What's the best way to get from the pier to Dollar Rent-a-Car at the airport (Lihue and Hilo respectively)? Should I find out about Dollar's shuttle service, if any? Or take a taxi? There will be 4 of us in the group so I'm concerned that the shuttle will only take me as the driver then I have to drive back to pick up the rest of the group. I'd kind of like to minimize delays as much as possible. I've already signed up for Dollar Express.

We had no issue with two of us riding the shuttle--I think it depends on how crowded the shuttle is. You can take either the Thrifty of Dollar shuttle since they are the same company.

Also, when dropping off the car at the end of the day, how soon before the ship departs should I aim to be at Dollar? Factoring in time to return the car then get back to the ship, and allowing a safe buffer in case of problems.

We planned on being back at the rental agency 45 minutes before the all aboard time. This timing worked out well for us./quote]

see above responses

Thanks Pizzalady. That's helpful.

How crowded was the shuttle, and are they generally waiting at the pier to pick people up? Or do I have to book it with them?

All of the shuttles keep going around and around from the pier to the office. At all ports, it only takes 5-15 minutes to get around. We usually waited until 9am or so and the shuttles had plenty of room for people. I would imagine that getting off as soon as the ship is cleared, their may be more crowded. In that situation, they may limit to driver only. Also, if you get off first thing, the lines at the agency will probably be long. When we got off, getting the car was a 5 minute affair.

Who supplies these shuttles? Are they only for one or a few brands of rental car? Are all the rental car offices at the airport? This is the first time I've heard of shuttles at all ports. This is great information. We'll be at Nawiliwili and Kahului, Maui.

Who supplies these shuttles? Are they only for one or a few brands of rental car? Are all the rental car offices at the airport? This is the first time I've heard of shuttles at all ports. This is great information. We'll be at Nawiliwili and Kahului, Maui.

The shuttles are supplied by the individual car rental agencies. Most of the agencies are at the airport. If you go to https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ you can get prices and it will say if there is a shuttle or not.