Tours in Rio de Janeiro

Dunercruisers

• 3 weeks later...

we just got back from South American cruise and had a wonderful driver in Rio. He was very knowledgeable and spoke very good English. He took us to all the major sites and had suggestions for things we might want to see. He put no time limit on the tour - we could keep going as long as we wanted. We ended up touring for about 12hr! He even waited while we walked along Copacabana Beach and then again when we wanted to go shopping. Took us to a Brazilian steakhouse for lunch which was a lot of fun. His name is Stephane Chiad and his email is guideinbrazil@hotmail.com

Cindy

We were in Rio in late January. We used Neyla ( neyla@tourguideneyla.com ) for our airport pick up and 2 days tours. She was absolutly WONDERFUL!! We´ll be using her again and I don´t hesitate to recommend her. Neyla's website http://www.tourguideneyla.com/

Neyla was WONDERFUL to deal with. She met us at the airport for our transfer to our hotel and the next day she did the same for a friend we were traveling with. We spent the following day touring Rio and the second day of touring we went to the mountain town of Petropolis. Neyla catered to our needs and interests. Since we had more people (and our luggage) for the transfer to the ship, Neyla had a driver with a small bus for that day.

Since we didn't know what to expect from her, as we selected her from a website about licensed guides in Brazil, rather than from a recommendation here, I was a bit nervous. However, Neyla far exceeded the service we imagined we'd get from any guide.

In Buenos Aires we used Carlos of Private Guides that everyone raves about. Our tour there was fine. However, our experience was Neyla was SO much better. It just seemed much more personal and it was like leaving family when we left her. [Dear, close family, not the ones you have to put up with during holidays. ;) ]

we just returned and used Laticia@rioplus.com for an 8 hour tour in Rio. We switched from 2 to 6 of us about 2 weeks before our tour and she had a comfortable a/c van with driver. 2 of us also used her for a samba show at night and she was right on time etc. She was one of the best tour guides we have ever had.

Are you looking for a pre- or post- cruise tour in Rio, or is Rio one of your cruise stops? If it is a cruise stop, save your money and take a tour with one of the jewelry companies (there are three with offices right at the pier) They provide transportation and a guide and take you to all the places a city tour would take you at no cost. Only catch, you have to stop at one of their stores before you return to the ship. But even that is interesting as they are set up for tourists with displays about their gems and jewelry-making processes. A firm "no" to their salesmen is graciously accepted, and that is that. We (as well as many of the other passengers on our cruise) did that each day we were in port in Rio and saw everything we would have paid for on a ship or private tour for free...

Neyla was WONDERFUL to deal with. She met us at the airport for our transfer to our hotel and the next day she did the same for a friend we were traveling with. We spent the following day touring Rio and the second day of touring we went to the mountain town of Petropolis. Neyla catered to our needs and interests. Since we had more people (and our luggage) for the transfer to the ship, Neyla had a driver with a small bus for that day.

Mary Ellen,

What did Neyla charge (and was it per person)? and what hotel did you stay in while in Rio pre-cruise?

Thank you.

Mary Ellen,

What did Neyla charge (and was it per person)? and what hotel did you stay in while in Rio pre-cruise?

We stayed at the Intercontiental as that was what HAL used for their pre-cruise packages. We didn't book through HAL, but got very nice prices on the Intercontinental web site. One of our friends was with a HAL package and we wanted to stay at the same hotel.

Neyla's prices are on her web site. You'll need to scroll down for English. Our tour to Petrópolis was $250 USD. Since there were 3 of us, it was $83/pp plus lunch and 1 entrance fee.

Our 8-hr tour of Rio was $230 USD plus lunch and admissions (about $77/pp + the extras for 3). Two of our friends did the HAL tour after we boarded the ship (we overnighted in Rio). With adding the meal/admissions the price was about the same pp as the HAL tour. However, we saw much more and lets say our friends really didn't didn't like their guide. For us it was very nice to get up to the statue before the crowds on the tour buses arrived. Their lunch wasn't nearly as nice either.

Our restaurant for lunch in Rio was on the pricey side (with the drop of the USD), but it was wonderful and our table was spectacular! We had a gorgeous view over the bay to Sugar Loaf. It was a Brazilian barbecue style (a very classy type of barbecue, not a US-style BBQ joint) restaurant. A great buffet, plus the waiters came around with huge skewers of different meats that they would cut off for us. Bowls of different preparations of shrimp were brought to the table. They just kept bringing the food until we said - no more.

I'm sure if you wanted a different or less expensive restaurant, Neyla would have other suggestions.

We were with another CC member who has his pictures on line. See RevNeal's Rotterdam: South America / Antarctica Cruise pictures.

Mary Ellen,

Thank you for your quick response. Lots of good info. How close is the Intercontinental to the port? And did they provide a transfer or did you use a taxi? And at what cost?

And while in Rio did you have any "not to be missed" activities that we should have on our list?

Thanks again.

How close is the Intercontinental to the port? And did they provide a transfer or did you use a taxi? And at what cost?

And while in Rio did you have any "not to be missed" activities that we should have on our list?

The Intercontinental is a bit away from the main part of Rio. It is across the road from a beautiful beach (Sao Conrado - hang gliders land on the other end of the beach), but it is mainly an area of high-rise residences. Or main goal in Rio was 'not to get mugged', so we really didn't leave the hotel without Neyla.

For us the biggest limitation of the Intercontinental was the limited restaurants available. This was only a problem since we were there 4 nights. If you are there for less, you wouldn't need to keep repeating the restaurants as we did. They have a 50's-style diner (or at least a Brazilian idea of one ;) ), a high-end Italian (we didn't try) and the pool restaurant where the breakfast buffet is served and also open for dinner. We ate mainly at the last. For dinner there is a pizza 'buffet' option for a set price (also menu service, but people went for the pizza). It isn't a buffet as we know it, but rather they bring around a variety of fresh pizzas. You just take slices of what appeals to you. Quite yummy - particularly the chocolate dessert pizza.

If we had stayed elsewhere, DH wouldn't have wanted to leave to hotel to eat anyway.

We didn't have anything we had to see (after all, our goal was not to get mugged). We had originally planned to go to Iguassu, but when that fell through (after our international air was booked), we just stayed in Rio.

We went with Neyla's 8-hr Rio tour. Since we were there in the rainy season, a concern was the weather. No sense heading to the statue (Christ the Redeemer) or Sugar Loaf when it was clouded over. Neyla was great with this. Since we'd planned on 2 days of tours, we played it by ear. If the weather wasn't good the first day, we'd head to the mountains to Petropolis. Since it was good, we got an early start and were on the second train up to the statue - before the bus tours arrived.

That day we also went to Sugar Loaf, the cathedral (very beautiful, but very modern - quite a change from the European cathedrals), walked around inside the Sambodrome (home to the Carnival parade), Santa Teresa to see the famous 'tiled steps' and met the artist (if you've seen a picture, you'll know), the famous beaches (Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon - all pretty to see, but I wouldn't want to spend any time there). We saw much more but those are the highlights.

The restaurant where we had lunch was Porcão. More here.

As it turned out, the second day of touring was rainy, so that was the better day to head to Petropolis.

The Intercontinental doesn't have transfers to the pier. There isn't a lot of 'tourist' things by the pier. We used Neyla for our transfers. Since we had 5 people at this point with 'cruise' luggage, we had a small bus with driver for US$125. That came to $25/pp and Neyla was again pointing out the sights for our friends who had arrived in Rio the day before.

In Rio we hired Rafael Torres... he was by far the best guide we had while in South America! His van is comfortable and roomy... he took us to all the major sights but also the off the beaten track places. His fees are extremely reasonable!! He can be reached at donrafainrio@yahoo.es He also picked us up at the airport and dropped us off at the pier.

I'm not sure why some people write about being afraid of getting mugged. As in all major cities... you have to be careful... ie, don't walk around looking like a jewelry store model. We were two women travelling on our own and we never felt even the least bit afraid. There are police, literally, on every corner. We left our hotel on Copacabana beach in the evening and walked to a nearby art market.... we walked down the beach to get dinner... etc... never had any problems.

To answer the question about taxis... taxis are cheap in Rio... we were told to make sure and get the yellow ones.

Anita

I'm not sure why some people write about being afraid of getting mugged. As in all major cities... you have to be careful... ie, don't walk around looking like a jewelry store model.
More like don't wear any watch, rings, earrings... or even carry a purse.

Rio DOES have more muggings than other major cities. When was the last time you heard of muggings in Calgary or Edmonton?

Shortly before we went to Rio, DH spoke at a conference. The person running the conference had recently returned from one in Rio. He knew 22 people from that conference that were mugged. Those were just the ones he knew. I've NEVER heard of that kind of experience in any other city.

Just off the Azamara Journey 12 day South America Sao Paulo, Rio, Paraty, Itajai, Montevideo and Buenos Aires.

We used two private tours and the guides were fantastic:

In Rio we hired Madson Araujo madson@tourguiderio.com. He was on time. English was excellent. He had good knowledge of the city. He not only showed us Rio, but explained the culture of the Brazilians, We now understand the why things are the way they are. Many things that were odd to our society, he explained in a context that made us aware of the way of life. He refused to take us to ares where there was too much risk, which I dearly appreciated. His pricing was extremely fair. I highly recommend making contact with him for your Rio private tour.

In Buenos Aires we hired Pedro Weber clickonenglish@yahoo.com. Pedro was on time. Being an English teacher, communication was great. Pedro took us to many of the interesting sites in B.A. and attached what we saw with a historical explanation that made sense. Why does B.A. have a huge Paris look? Why did the people of Argentina go about copying this great city. What happened during and after the Falklands war? I truly understand why things are as they are today in B.A. I recommend Pedro very much.

My email is psluyter@rogers.com

Paul

We (4 of us) toured for 2 days in Rio at the beginning of March.

Marcio was booked these dates but gave us contact for another guide whom we used instead. Paulo was prompt each day, very efficient and has a good sense of humour. We had no problems at all. His pricing is similar to Marcio and reasonable. We would use him again if we ever return to Rio.

He is hoping to have a website at some point but for now it is:

Paulo ****** Contact him at sudipo@gmail.com

progress.gif

We also stayed at the Intercontinental. There are more lunch/evening dining options right next door in the Sao Conrado Fashion Mall, one of the older Rio malls but I think the most expensive one. It has a website and is also mentioned in most shopping info for Rio. Apart from fashion stores there is a fairly large selection of eating places spread around the 3 or so levels. Some are restaurant type, including an Italian, others are more juice/organic/coffee shop type of eating places. It is worth looking at the options if you are staying several days. There is security inside the mall.

The HAL info sheet handed out to guests gives directions, but to spend the minimum time "on the street" you can walk past the hotel tennis courts and exit the grounds through the (security manned) gateway. look right and you will see the mall entrance approx 50 metres away. Alternatively, you can walk out the front door, turn left and walk a very short distance. Look for the MacDonalds sign as they are situated at another of the mall entrances.

We really liked the "diner" at the hotel. The menu was VERY varied and covered most things including soups, salads, pasta dishes, meat dishes, grills, sandwiches, desserts and lots more. We had no problem eating there 3 evenings.

• 10 months later...
Does anyone have experience or input on tours in Rio? Claudia

We recently returned from a cruise on board Oceania Insignia which alllowed us to have three days in the City

Tour guide we use was Martha Vasconcellos, e-mail address martha.guideinrio@globo.com

She and her associate have a passion for the city and makes it sparkle. Rates are very very reasonable, varying by the size of the group. When down to a couple she has no problem with using the public transportation to keep the costs done. For more details, refer to our thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18347940&posted=1#post18347940

We plan to return and use Martha again

DEAN

www.sindegtur.com.br is the official licensed Rio tour guide site. Click "search a guide" on the bottom of left hand column for English language listings of guides and a description of their specialities.

For info on Rio restaurants visit: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k6033-Rio_restaurants-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html As an expat resident of Rio and Buenos Aires I can answer general questions.

www.sindegtur.com.br is the official licensed Rio tour guide site. Click "search a guide" on the bottom of left hand column for English language listings of guides and a description of their specialities.

For info on Rio restaurants visit: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k6033-Rio_restaurants-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html As an expat resident of Rio and Buenos Aires I can answer general questions.

We had a private guide for three days in Rio. His contact information is as follows:

Jose Olimpio

site: www.rioturist.com

Cell:55-21-9492-9877

Land:55-21-3435-3832

email: rioturist@hotmail.com

Jose provided wonderful tours of the most famous tourists spots including Sugarload, Cristo Redentor Statue on Corcorado, beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana, Rio Centro; plus some other very interesting not-so-tourist places such as: the neighborhoods of Santa Teresa, Seleron Stairs, and the Ipanema Hoppie Market.

I have posted several videos on Youtube showing the highlights of these tours. For information on viewing these videos click on the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

We had a great tour in Rio last year. I cannot think of the name of the famous jeweler there that gives free tours. They had a person on the ship as we were getting off the ship and told us where to go to get a free tour . We had a wonderful driver and a very good knowledgable english speaking college boy to take us anywhere we wanted in a very comfortable, newer van. He took us to all the sights. The only thing they want you to do is stop at the jewelers store and look. We enjoyed looking at the jewelry, but didn't buy anything. We took the driver and guide out to dinner that afternoon. When they were taking us back to the ship we stopped at the Hippie Mart and the guide took us around and I bought some nice things.

I wish I could think of the name, Samuel or Stern or something! My husband can't remember either.

It was just great! We tipped the driver and guide generously.

We had a great tour in Rio last year. I cannot think of the name of the famous jeweler there that gives free tours.

Stern and Amsterdam Sauer have showrooms in Ipanema and will provide free transportation from the ship to their showrooms and back to the ship. The extent to which they will provide a car/guide free all day I think depends on the season and dumb luck. Other jewelry stores may also provide a free ride between ship and showroom.

Which hotel did you stay in while in Rio and would you stay there again? What tips can you give us for a 3 day stay?

Sissy

Hotel prices are more reasonable now that carnaval has ended and the Brasilian R$ has dropped against the US$. The Best Western Ipanema Sol is a good value across from the heart of the Ipanema beach. Higher end are the Sofitel and Marriott both in Copacabana.

If you want to have a tour guide help you to know the city you can expect to pay $200 for a full day. Transportation will be extra. You do not need a tour guide to visit the big 2, Sugarloaf and Corcovado. I went to Corcovado a few days ago. It cost R$36 for the round trip in the cog wheel train, R$22 if you are over 65. Bring your ID and save a few bucks. Warning - if it is cloudy you will see nothing and if it is hot you will need light clothing and sunglasses.

The cost of the Sugarloaf skycar is R$ 45. Best to time your visit so you can be on top during sunset. There is a restaurant at the base of Sugarloaf (Zozo's) that is good for a drink or a fixed price buffet meal with typical Brasilian BBQ. Lots of Rio restaurant info on the tripadvisor site in my prior post. Www.Ipanema.com has a lot of useful info for tourists. www.riotur.com.br is the official city of Rio tourist site.

I would like to echo the recommendation of bigmjh, the first responder to this question. We just returned from Rio where we toured with Rafael Torres Lopes. Our tours were pretty much the same as those described in the two links provided by bigmjh and the prices were also similar.

We had contacted Rafael last year after reading recommendations here and on Trip Advisor. He was very prompt and full of warmth and information in his correspondence. In fact, we had so much communication prior to the trip that, when we finally met, it was like seeing an old friend. He was extremely accommodating; he put forth a lot of effort in order to accommodate our tour groups' numbers, interests and needs. When those plans fell through at the very last minute, he could not have been more courteous.

The time we spent with Rafael in and around Rio and especially in Niteroi were highlights of our trip. I recommend him without any hesitation!

Maxine

Archived