Diamond lounge tipping

bmac1

I assume that "three" refers to the vouchers, not sitting in the lounge.

And getting drinks after 8/8:30 is the "time" reference.

And these days, by the way, that can cost the workers their jobs.

IMO, my access to free liquor does not supersede their employment security.

The reason I posted the original question was because on our last cruise on Grandeur I did not see anyone tipping the staff. I gave a couple of dollars per round but felt funny because no body else was tipping but after these responses I feel comfortable that I will tip per round and maybe extra on the last night on my upcoming cruise in May.

We don't spend a lot of time in the lounge, but the one or two evenings per cruise we might go in there we also rarely see anyone else (except us) tipping the bar staff for a drink. Of course, the only way we would even notice others tipping is if we are sitting in some type of group. And as a comment to the post someone else made about tipping and service, the staff seems to treat everyone the same and provide fabulous service.

We are not in the lounge for a long period of time so perhaps people tip at the end of the evening. I have no idea. I am often not in there the last evening so once again I have no idea of tipping patterns.

We are comfortable with our tipping per round and do that in the lounge. As we usually have our drink at one of the ship bars or public lounges, we also tip those bartenders for the diamond complementary drinks. At the bars, I've never paid attention to what the other passengers are doing regarding tips. At any bar, I have no idea if someone is purchasing a drink, using a drink package, or getting one of the diamond complementary drinks.

Our tipping pattern works for us, and I imagine the staff appreciate tips.

M

We don't spend a lot of time in the lounge, but the one or two evenings per cruise we might go in there we also rarely see anyone else (except us) tipping the bar staff for a drink. Of course, the only way we would even notice others tipping is if we are sitting in some type of group. And as a comment to the post someone else made about tipping and service, the staff seems to treat everyone the same and provide fabulous service.

We are not in the lounge for a long period of time so perhaps people tip at the end of the evening. I have no idea. I am often not in there the last evening so once again I have no idea of tipping patterns.

We are comfortable with our tipping per round and do that in the lounge. As we usually have our drink at one of the ship bars or public lounges, we also tip those bartenders for the diamond complementary drinks. At the bars, I've never paid attention to what the other passengers are doing regarding tips. At any bar, I have no idea if someone is purchasing a drink, using a drink package, or getting one of the diamond complementary drinks.

Our tipping pattern works for us, and I imagine the staff appreciate tips.

M

We used to always just tip on the last night until we joined a fantastic group of Americans on Navigator out of Rome in May 2013 in the diamond lounge who tipped every drink and got fantastic service and plenty of drink left at lounge closing time.

43 cruises and counting.

The fact you don't see people tipping nightly doesn't mean they don't tip. Until now, we have NEVER tipped nightly and have ALWAYS tipped at the end of the cruise -- usually the second to last night. The amount we give is typically $5 per night per person.

I actually never thought to do it as we go since we have the same servers every night (especially in the CL) and we tip other members of the crew at the end of the cruise. We just assumed we should do the same with CL/DL bartenders. I've seen others tip at the end as well and, honestly, have never seen anyone doing it nightly. Then again, I'm not really watching what other people do so have probably missed it.

I have no doubt that some people don't tip at all and that's very sad. But please don't assume that someone who isn't handing out cash nightly (or per drink) is stiffing the guys/gals. Some probably are -- let's hope most are not.

We always take with us $1.00 $5.00 and $10.00 in the amount of $100.00 each. We tip nightly in the diamond lounge. Many people don't tip but we do because we like to get service. We never have to look for the people to order a drink they look for us. We live in California so we go to Vegas few times a year if I'm out of singles I don't order a drink or the cocktail waitress bring me change. They know us by name they come around all the time this is what a tip will do. On the cruise we give daily at the diamond lounge

Tipping $1 for each drink you receive in the Diamond Lounge is a PIA. I give a 5er to the first waiter who takes our drink order, and he always seems to be around when we need another. If we're sitting with another couple we cruise with, we coordinate which ones we take care of. He takes care of waiter X, and I take care of waiter Y. Even when it's crowded, we never have issues getting our drinks topped off. :cool:

We tip $1 per night at the lounge. If I'm using the bar coupon $1 per drink/pair of drinks if we're together. I don't see many people tipping but then again I'm not really watching. We don't do it to get better service although there's no doubt it helps. But it also helps to shoot the breeze a bit and get the rapport going, we look forward to the servers in the lounges.

We tip $1 per night at the lounge. If I'm using the bar coupon $1 per drink/pair of drinks if we're together. I don't see many people tipping but then again I'm not really watching. We don't do it to get better service although there's no doubt it helps. But it also helps to shoot the breeze a bit and get the rapport going, we look forward to the servers in the lounges.

Not so sure I would brag about that... ;p

Not so sure I would brag about that... ;p

I always give $10 to the first server but i am going to take Clareas advice on next cruise in 10 days time and give $2 each time we get a drink and tip as usual on the last night.

43 cruises and counting.

We always tip at least $2 for 2 drinks received without fail but let's face it, we're not blind and I would guess 50% or more of people are not tipping and I don't see any difference on the last night. I'd love to say different and I'm happy to read the replies to this thread from the people who do tip. Cruising out of Florida, we were sitting with a couple once saying we were quite new to Diamond. First drink, when I got my $2 out, the guy covered my hand with his and said "no, just give them a couple of bucks on the last night". Bit embarrassing really.

We will be dining often in Coastal Kitchen for the first time on our upcoming cruise and plan to tip each evening. Can someone suggest an appropriate amount for two people?

Anything you want is appropriate. I was told by the headwaiter on Anthem that the CK servers are covered by the auto grats so anything you give should be bonus.

Cruising out of Florida, we were sitting with a couple once saying we were quite new to Diamond. First drink, when I got my $2 out, the guy covered my hand with his and said "no, just give them a couple of bucks on the last night". Bit embarrassing really.

A couple of bucks on the last night would be really cheap, imo. And I am not a rabid tipper.

We always tip at least $2 for 2 drinks received without fail but let's face it, we're not blind and I would guess 50% or more of people are not tipping and I don't see any difference on the last night. I'd love to say different and I'm happy to read the replies to this thread from the people who do tip. Cruising out of Florida, we were sitting with a couple once saying we were quite new to Diamond. First drink, when I got my $2 out, the guy covered my hand with his and said "no, just give them a couple of bucks on the last night". Bit embarrassing really.

I have seen people tipping on the last night but never seen anyone tip the waiter nightly.We have on occasions been the last ones out on a night and never seen anyone hand anything over on the way out.

43 cruises and counting.

We tip nightly. My thoughts are if I worked on a ship I would want the cash for any port stop or free time I get. As mentioned by others it does also appears to help but not all the time. Depends on how busy it is.

We tip nightly. My thoughts are if I worked on a ship I would want the cash for any port stop or free time I get. As mentioned by others it does also appears to help but not all the time. Depends on how busy it is.

My reasoning too.

43 cruises and counting.

Perhaps those who have never seen anyone tip each evening are just not seeing it happen? Not everyone makes a big deal of handing over a tip. My husband does it discreetly, and other people are none the wiser. Only a braggart would make a big show of handing a server two bucks!

For the poster who said carrying around cash is stupid - each to their own. We generally have three drinks each in the lounge each evening. That is six one dollar bills - not at all a hardship for DH to simply slip in his pants pockets. He even folds them in packages of two dollars each to make taking them out of his pocket easy and discreet. In the months in between our cruises, DH just drops his singles to his loose change bucket when he comes home from work each night. We have always had plenty of small bills available this way.

Perhaps those who have never seen anyone tip each evening are just not seeing it happen? Not everyone makes a big deal of handing over a tip. My husband does it discreetly, and other people are none the wiser. Only a braggart would make a big show of handing a server two bucks!

For the poster who said carrying around cash is stupid - each to their own. We generally have three drinks each in the lounge each evening. That is six one dollar bills - not at all a hardship for DH to simply slip in his pants pockets. He even folds them in packages of two dollars each to make taking them out of his pocket easy and discreet. In the months in between our cruises, DH just drops his singles to his loose change bucket when he comes home from work each night. We have always had plenty of small bills available this way.

I try and be discreet and catch them by the snacks counter and hand 10 dollars to them.

43 cruises and counting.

I just tip with each round of drinks $1 per drink in dl, cl and other bars when using diamond drink vouchers. The only time we have tipped at the end is the suite lounge bartenders because they are usually there for the week. The others rotate sometimes and i want to make sure they are fairly compensated for the great service.

I have not noticed any difference in service for the dl waiters when you tip. It has usually been very good to excellent and i have no problems giving a little extra for the free drinks. I have sat and talked with many people and have noticed some tip and some donot but we have all gotten the same great service. Besides the people we are sitting with, i have never looked around to see if anyone tipped per drink, per night or at the end. Again not my business but to each there own.

I really hate walking around on the last night with tips to hand out to everyone that has made our cruise so enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by frank808

I just tip with each round of drinks $1 per drink in dl, cl and other bars when using diamond drink vouchers. The only time we have tipped at the end is the suite lounge bartenders because they are usually there for the week. The others rotate sometimes and i want to make sure they are fairly compensatwd for the freat service.

I have not noticed any difference in service for the dl waiters when you tip. It has usually been very good to excellent and i have no problems giving a little extra for the free drinks. I have sat and talked with many people and have noticed some tip and some donot but we have all gotten the same great service. Besides the people we are sitting with, i have never looked around to see if anyone tipped per drink, per night or at the end. Again not my business but to each there own.

I really hate walking around on the last night with tips to hand out to everyone that has made our cruise so enjoyable.

I usually give $10 a night so for 7 nights thats $70 which is what i would have given on the last night but by giving nightly they have it and if for any reason i cant make the last night for illness etc i am comfortable in knowing i have rewarded the excellent server's already.

43 cruises and counting.

I usually give $10 a night so for 7 nights thats $70 which is what i would have given on the last night but by giving nightly they have it and if for any reason i cant make the last night for illness etc i am comfortable in knowing i have rewarded the excellent server's already.

43 cruises and counting.

Yes that is why i tip per round. Sometimes we do not go to the dl on the last night or two if we have other things planned or not feeling well.

Have a great next cruise. I am anxiously waiting till june for our first cruise to alaska. Have only sailed the caribbean and bahamas so far.

How much do you tip the Diamond Lounge Concierge? We were just on Rhapsody and he assisted with serving drinks, and gave my kids two souvenirs (rather pricey ones, a model of the ship, and the glass block they normally give Diamonds that hit 140 points, and a cup that said 'Cruising Princess'). I was really perplexed as to how much to tip him. (This was compounded by my credit card company shutting down my card while at sea due to fraud. I wound up having to pay my shipboard account in cash, which left me with very little paper money for tips. I did the best I could, but I still feel like I 'shorted' him).

If the concierge has helped with taking drink orders, making sure the hors d'oeuvre are stocked and helped me with reservations and such $20 to $40. You got a great concierge that took care of the little ones and i would have given him $40. But that is me, i say tip what you feel the service that was commensurate with YOUR experience. There is no set tipping scale.

When i was younger i worked as a server and know how hard that job is. We have been very very lucky and blessed to be healthy and able to travel. I figure why not give a few bucks to people that have made our vacation so enjoyable? We are already spending thousands of dollars on the cruise. What is a few bucks to reward those hard working individuals? We just think of it as part of the cruise fare.

I do wish the cruise lines would pay more to the employees or say the daily gratuities are indeed daily service charges. The gratuities are not used for tipping but instead used as salary for the crew.

Yes that is why i tip per round. Sometimes we do not go to the dl on the last night or two if we have other things planned or not feeling well.

Have a great next cruise. I am anxiously waiting till june for our first cruise to alaska. Have only sailed the caribbean and bahamas so far.

Thank you and i hope you have a great cruise in Alaska.

43 cruises and counting.