No Fix. Just Thoughts

klfrodo

Smoking on balconies

Lack of dress code enforcement

Kids in the Adult Only areas

Diapers in the pool

Sharing of Cheers Card

et al

So who's fault is it that these things happen?

Through lack of enforcement, is Carnival an enabler and complicit?

Have the anarchist won?

lack of obedience to an authority; insubordination:

Have we as customers become enablers by not complaining more or louder?

Are customers concerned about Snitches get Stiches?

Has "Broken Windows Theory" become more than theory and people just don't care anymore

I'm just as guilty.

I used to complain to staff about certain activities that I've witnessed that I didn't think belonged on a cruise ship. After X number of times seeing the staff not trying to correct the issue, I've changed my behavior.

I no longer get as dressed up as I used to.

No longer rent the tux.

Quit smoking but we all know the cruiseline does nothing about it if you do complain.

Kids in Serenity? Staff does nothing even when brought to their attention.

Or, should they just do away with the rules if they aren't going to enforce them anyway.

Anybody can smoke anywhere

Feel free to come into the MDR in your swimsuit if you want (wearing a hat)

No adults only areas anymore

No age limits in kids clubs. Just 1 kids club for all ages

Only 1 Cheers package per cabin. All persons in that cabin drink on that card.

I still cruise Carnival. These above mentioned problems are in no way reflective of Carnival alone. I know Royal has the same problem. Violators won't keep me from cruising, Yet.

All of these issues can be resolved. The Cruiseline has to take the first step with enforcement. That's puts them in a tough spot when it comes to customer satisfaction numbers.

I don't think I need a flame suit, but I do have thick skin.

You are right...no fix. Look back 10 years, 5 years. So many things that were standards are no longer.

People do things so many times and people start to look away. Soon, that behavior is accepted as the norm and no one bats an eye.

I have come to my own view on cruising...I do what makes me happy, what my family enjoys, while NOT causing any harm to others or "breaking" any cruise line rules.

We still enjoy elegant night and love to dress up. Yes, it is sad to see someone push the envelope and walk into the MDR in shorts that evening, when so many other dining options are available for the people that don't want to enjoy dressing up for an evening. We try our best NOT to focus on the ones that are acting like they can do anything they want. We try to focus on our family and make our own special memories.

The other issues are all much the same thing as the elegant night, some people will bend any and all rules they can just because they can.

The only one that currently causes me any upset, is the diaper in the the pool. That is not just something that can "rock the boat". It is something that can kill. A dirty diaper/swim diaper can release bacteria into the water that can cause other children to become ill and even die. IF it is noted, the pool is supposed to be closed and cleaned. Sadly, I have seen people push this envelope on every one of my last 5 cruises. They were on Carnival, Royal and NCL. So it is NOT just occuring on Carnival.

I would agree with you on all fronts. I think it boils down to being an adult and setting an example on what is the right thing to do, especially if your own children are involved. It also is being respectful of others....society lacks this greatly these days. I would love to see Carnival (and other lines) crack down if need be. Enabling will only lead to more problems until it completely gets out of control (I would argue its at that point). Most people live their lives on the path of least resistance, and exploit that path until they no longer can, at that point they move on to the next thing that "feels good" right now. Sad state.

Smoking on balconies

Diapers in the pool

Sharing of Cheers Card

et al

Have the anarchist won?

lackofobediencetoanauthority;insubordination:

Has "Broken Windows Theory" become more than theory and people just don't care anymore

I'm just as guilty.

I used to complain to staff about certain activities that I've witnessed that I didn't think belonged on a cruise ship. After X number of times seeing the staff not trying to correct the issue, I've changed my behavior.

No longer rent the tux.

Quit smoking but we all know the cruiseline does nothing about it if you do complain.

Or, should they just do away with the rules if they aren't going to enforce them anyway.

I think the only way any of the lines will listen is if we all mention it on the surveys and truly not sail again, and continue to state why. They will only listen when they think it will hurt their bottom line. BUT, most of us won't really do that. We enjoy cruising too much. And if some don't cruise, there are probably enough that will cruise in their place.

It's not only on cruise ships. I work in a super market, and kids run amok all the time. the parents say nothing. Thank you Dr. Spock for giving kids a free hand without supervision. Isn't he (she) cute?

I seriously doubt the parents of the kids running wild in public these days have any idea who Dr Spock is.

(He also didn't advocate "no supervision".)

I seriously doubt the parents of the kids running wild in public these days have any idea who Dr Spock is.

(He also didn't advocate "no supervision".)

Did he write all those books before or after Star Trek?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smoking on balconies

Diapers in the pool

Sharing of Cheers Card

et al

Have the anarchist won?

I'm just as guilty.

No longer rent the tux.

I still cruise Carnival. These above mentioned problems are in no way reflective of Carnival alone. I know Royal has the same problem. Violators won't keep me from cruising, Yet.

All of these issues can be resolved. The Cruiseline has to take the first step with enforcement. That's puts them in a tough spot when it comes to customer satisfaction numbers.

That is Carnival.

Don't just "blame" Carnival.

That would be so wrong.

It is a state of mind for many people in the world today, especially here in the US.

It is on all lines. As I said above, I have seen it on each of my last 5 cruises. They were on Carnival, Royal and on NCL. Skip back 7 cruises to Celebrity, and I have seen a decline even there!

When it gets sad is when a 5 year old will ask why someone has on messy(meaning dirty, they appeared to have mud spots from earlier shore excursion all over them) and smelly clothes? She said we could pay for them to have them washed if that was all they had. She said this at our table(was not loud just at a regular talking voice level), he was at the one next to us. Everyone at that table for 8, except for him and his friend were dressed nicely. I wanted to cry as he went into a rage filled with profanity about keeping mouthy kids out of the MDR! This occured on Elegant night. The maitre d' actually gave us a pass for the steak house for the next night as we left but I never saw anyone address that man.

Sad when adults don't know how to behave. I can only be responsible for my girls.

Edited by sandy toes

Why are you such an obnoxious individual.

It’s RCCL, HAL, NCL, Celebrity, and Princess if you read threads on each board

They are all complicit by not enforcing their own policies.

Please don’t quote people on my ignore list, because then I have to see their posts....hahaha

The ignore list is a wonderful thing

It is on all Lines. However we have decided not to cruise Carnival again because even if the Cruise line does nothing to stop this there are more parents on other lines that control their kids better than on Carnival. BTW we are Platinum on Carnival

I only will say something if the behavior bothers me. So far, that has never happened. I don’t get balconies but if I did, and the cabin next to me was smoking, I’d say something directly to the offenders.

Most of the other things you mentioned don’t bother me much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

swscruiser: I do have a high standard for my family. They have to act a certain way at home and in public. They are not allowed to be "animals" and even have to be nice to others at the play park. I can deal with children being children. I don't allow certain behaviors that others completely ignore. I have come to terms with that. I am having an increasingly tough time with adults that do not act as good as the kids! That is something I cannot tolerate.

FYI: I cruise a fair amount and vary my ships based on family wants. This is something that I see more and more across all the lines I sail.

Smoking on balconies

Diapers in the pool

Sharing of Cheers Card

et al

Have the anarchist won?

I'm just as guilty.

No longer rent the tux.

I don't worry about rules that do not affect others, such as dress code, cheers sharing etc... Its none of my business if it does not affect others. I do think carnival should enforce the rules that affect other cruisers such as smoking, kids or adults not behaving in away that affect others, and chair hogs. People sometimes worry about what others are doing, when it has no affect on them and should really just mind their own business and enjoy there cruise instead of complaining about others.

The cruise lines don’t want to get into a fight with paying passengers.

So anything goes. Instead of stopping chrildren in adult pool areas, that will take personpower, they just change the rules and not have to fight.

Where what ever you wants in MDR. They just about throw the food at you any way not with the cut back in waiting staff

That why it’s the FUN. SHIP