Kahalui Parking

khr316

Hi, we will be on the POA and in Maui on 9/3 and 9/4. We have reserved a rental car & made a reservation for sunrise on Haleakala on 9/4. I was wondering if anyone has had recent experience with parking near the ship. Getting to the airport rental place at 3:30 AM would no doubt be a big problem! Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Mahalo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, pizza lady! I have read that thread & guess that Maui Beach is still the only place near the dock where you can park legally. We did the same cruise in 2011 and as I recall, we parked near the ship, no charge, no problem. Guess times have changed . . . We do want to do sunrise at Haleakala so I guess we will have to be brave & walk to the Maui Beach at 3:30 AM! Still interested in any recent experiences, though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of possible interest is the following quote from Cruisoholic000 this year:

"I emailed the hotel and this is what they said: Our parking is available for registered guest staying at the hotel for a fee. I wouldn’t suggest walking from here to the cruise ship at 3am in the morning for safety reasons."

Mahalo,

Cheryl DiCenzo

Front office manager

Thanks, pizza lady! I have read that thread & guess that Maui Beach is still the only place near the dock where you can park legally. We did the same cruise in 2011 and as I recall, we parked near the ship, no charge, no problem. Guess times have changed . . . We do want to do sunrise at Haleakala so I guess we will have to be brave & walk to the Maui Beach at 3:30 AM! Still interested in any recent experiences, though.

As you can see from the response above, parking at the hotel is not really legal either, and the hotel also warns about safety in the area.

If you do a bit more research on this, you'll see reports of people who arranged taxi service or uber type pick up at the port gate to where their car is parked near the car rental offices at the airport.

The problem is that we had wanted to go to Haleakala for sunrise. Kind of a crazy hour to wait for a taxi or Uber. We have been there before so will survive if we don't do it. Never realized that parking would be such an issue this time! Thank you for your advice & concern!

The problem is that we had wanted to go to Haleakala for sunrise. Kind of a crazy hour to wait for a taxi or Uber. We have been there before so will survive if we don't do it. Never realized that parking would be such an issue this time! Thank you for your advice & concern!

Kind of a crazy hour to be walking a mile or so in a transient filled area as well.😉. I love Haleakala and upcountry as well. Have never done the sunrise. We are happy with the lovely daytime vistas.

Our first cruise to Maui a few years ago, we were able to use the official port parking a few blocks away with the safe fenced walkway back to the ship. Unfortunately, that was discontinued, making life difficult for those who want to keep their cars overnight for a really, really, early start the next day. A ship tour is possible, but pricey. Private tours may be more reasonable.

Rent your car from Hertz at the Maui Beach hotel and no worry about parking your rental car overnight there.

Of possible interest is the following quote from Cruisoholic000 this year:

"I emailed the hotel and this is what they said: Our parking is available for registered guests staying at the hotel for a fee. I wouldn’t suggest walking from here to the cruise ship at 3am in the morning for safety reasons."

Mahalo,

Cheryl DiCenzo

Front office manager

Rent your car from Hertz at the Maui Beach hotel and no worry about parking your rental car overnight there.

Two different opinions here. Who are we to believe?

Two different opinions here. Who are we to believe?

The parking lot is divided (very large lot) between guests and rental car parking.

If you park your Hertz rental car on the right side of the lot next to the other rentals you will have no issues.

One evening the Maui Beach Hotel shuttle provided transport back to the ship. Lyft is another option.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping you'll let us know how you went! We will be on POA in Maui 12/10 and 12/11 and also doing Haleakala sunrise. We were thinking of parking at the airport and organising a taxi/ uber/ lyft.

Thanks in advance! Any feedback on recent experiences would be much appreciated.

Hoping you'll let us know how you went! We will be on POA in Maui 12/10 and 12/11 and also doing Haleakala sunrise. We were thinking of parking at the airport and organising a taxi/ uber/ lyft.

Thanks in advance! Any feedback on recent experiences would be much appreciated.

We are on the same cruise as you. What vendor are you using for Haleakala?

Our "recent experience" concerns the Maui Beach Hotel idea for parking. About two hours ago we decided to check out their parking lot in person. There are posted signs throughout the lot saying that ,parking is for hotel guests ONLY. In reading about the Hertz location there, they say you can leave your car there if it is an after-hours drop off and you are turning the car in, but you will need to put your keys and contract, etc. in their lock box in the hotel. Just as a hotel representative was quoted earlier in this thread, overnight parking is not allowed for non-guests, and to walk from the ship to that area in the wee hours is foolish.

Good information Silver & better than anything posted by someone who was able to illegally park without any repercussions. There are too many posts on this subject that recommend to illegally park near the port. Just because someone got away with it once doesn't mean that the next person won't have a wasted day paying for an expensive towing bill instead of enjoying Maui.

There's a legal reasonably priced option...park a couple of miles away at the airport for $15 and use a transportation option (shuttle/taxi/Lyft/Uber) between the ship & airport.

Visitors who don't know better tout walking during darkness around the port area which a couple of people who live in Maui know is foolish.

We are on the same cruise as you. What vendor are you using for Haleakala?

That's awesome. Started to get excited now less than 100 days to go.

We haven't booked any tours for sunrise. We've booked a hire car and planning to head up early ourselves. I've looked into a few tours but we prefer having the freedom to stay as long as we like and also head on to elsewhere afterwards.

Are you planning to do Haleakala for sunrise as well?

That's awesome. Started to get excited now less than 100 days to go.

We haven't booked any tours for sunrise. We've booked a hire car and planning to head up early ourselves. I've looked into a few tours but we prefer having the freedom to stay as long as we like and also head on to elsewhere afterwards.

Are you planning to do Haleakala for sunrise as well?

We decided not to do it ourselves--too many hairpin curves in the dark. So we are going to do sunset with Roberts in a small van. Don't forget that you will need a reservation for sunrise.

Here is our roll call if you are interested http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2280860 there isn't much activity.

Our "recent experience" concerns the Maui Beach Hotel idea for parking. About two hours ago we decided to check out their parking lot in person. There are posted signs throughout the lot saying that ,parking is for hotel guests ONLY. In reading about the Hertz location there, they say you can leave your car there if it is an after-hours drop off and you are turning the car in, but you will need to put your keys and contract, etc. in their lock box in the hotel. Just as a hotel representative was quoted earlier in this thread, overnight parking is not allowed for non-guests, and to walk from the ship to that area in the wee hours is foolish.

Again, we parked our rental car overnight there w/o issue. We even asked the rental car desk and they had no issue with it.

Yes walking to the port is risky at night, take a cab or shuttle.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to post about our experience in case anyone was interested.

We went with the intention of parking at the airport and getting an Uber or taxi to our car around 3am. Before we went to pick up our hire car we spoke with the port security guys about parking in the area and what they recommended. They said to park at the mall. They said “of course it is at your own risk but they never tow anyone there, park there overnight don’t bother with the airport”.

We then got an Uber to the airport to pick up the rental car our driver (who was the best Uber driver we’ve ever had btw) advised us that it would be impossible to get an Uber at that time and difficult to get a taxi as well. He showed us the parking lot at the mall in front of whole foods and told us to park there overnight. He too said we would be fine walking there from the pier and our car would be fine.

I was still a little apprehensive about both the car and the walk but my partner was convinced. So we parked our car at the mall - at our own risk- and walked back.

The walk was fine there are security guards checking ID and ship cards at both ends of the walkway which is well lit with high barbed-wire fences. We also found we weren’t the only ones making the walk at 3am and were with 2 other couples walking to their car.

Again I am not making any recommendations it’s completely at your own risk to park there just wanted to provide my experience as when we were researching found little recent information. Our car was fine we made it up Haleakala for the most beautiful sunrise we have ever seen. Also make sure you dress warmly and take a blanket - it was freezing!

Just wanted to post about our experience in case anyone was interested.

We went with the intention of parking at the airport and getting an Uber or taxi to our car around 3am. Before we went to pick up our hire car we spoke with the port security guys about parking in the area and what they recommended. They said to park at the mall. They said “of course it is at your own risk but they never tow anyone there, park there overnight don’t bother with the airport”.

We then got an Uber to the airport to pick up the rental car our driver (who was the best Uber driver we’ve ever had btw) advised us that it would be impossible to get an Uber at that time and difficult to get a taxi as well. He showed us the parking lot at the mall in front of whole foods and told us to park there overnight. He too said we would be fine walking there from the pier and our car would be fine.

I was still a little apprehensive about both the car and the walk but my partner was convinced. So we parked our car at the mall - at our own risk- and walked back.

The walk was fine there are security guards checking ID and ship cards at both ends of the walkway which is well lit with high barbed-wire fences. We also found we weren’t the only ones making the walk at 3am and were with 2 other couples walking to their car.

Again I am not making any recommendations it’s completely at your own risk to park there just wanted to provide my experience as when we were researching found little recent information. Our car was fine we made it up Haleakala for the most beautiful sunrise we have ever seen. Also make sure you dress warmly and take a blanket - it was freezing!

Most likely the mall posts no parking to minimize the number of locals parking overnight and I doubt they would ever tow. If the mall owners were smart they would do what the Anchor Cove mall does on Kauai. They keep passes in one of the shops that you buy for overnight parking, I think it was $20. No real work on there part to maintain but they pull in a lot of money when the cruise ships overnight,

We went with the intention of parking at the airport and getting an Uber or taxi to our car around 3am...

We then got an Uber to the airport to pick up the rental car our driver (who was the best Uber driver we’ve ever had btw) advised us that it would be impossible to get an Uber at that time and difficult to get a taxi as well.

Question: In reading CC posts for years on this, we learn there have been many, many people in the same situation who indicated they parked at the airport and must have somehow managed to get transportation. If you have done so, please refresh our memories and tell us how you did it.