Had to Cancel Cruise Looking for Advice

bellevuecruiser

Hello All

UPDATE: I initially had this under Oceanic Cruise yesterday.. It was taken off that forum and I am reposting this under Insurance Thread. I did get some excellent advice but looking for more. May daughters visit with the doctor is tomorrow and we are preparing a document for her to talk to the doctor about the form.

We were all set on our dream cruise OceanSparking Pacific Feb 25th-March 8th. Had Concierge Deck, restaurantsreservations, Flight arrangements almost all finalized, Shopping for deck wear,Reading tour guides of the Islands. Then got the call on a family matter, had tocancel. For anyone who wants to read on I have to give more detail.

Booked Oceanic in July 2017 thruGo Next. Deposits paid with final payment in early Nov. Total spent $11,600.Booked on a high end credit card (Chase INK Sapphire) which has trip cancellation insurance. We havedone this before and Card Member Services is actually Allianz. They coveredprevious claims(airfares up to $300) with the proper medical documentation noissues.

We found out in Sept that our daughter waspregnant with her second child... wonderful news...March 17th duedate....back from Cruise and then off to spend time with new grandson. Agrandparents life of bliss.

A few weeks ago our daughters pregnancy turnedinto a high risk pregnancy, placenta possibly out of the uterus. She lives in Netherlandswith Dutch Husband. English is spoken and understood. Due date with a higherrisk C Section moved possibly up to March 6th.

Had to start the cancellation process... Weheard from Oceanic that they have strict guidelines...Understandthat.. 75% cancellation penalty 30-60 days out.

So now we are going thru the Trip CancellationInsurance process. Spent at least 6 hours with all the supporting documents..All documents I have control over are laid out for the insurance claim reviewer.

Only item left is the doctor's form. This formwill have to be filled out by our daughter's doctor in Holland who may or may not care about oursituation. I have filled out the basic part of this but Allianz says the otherparts of the form has to be written by the doctor.

So with all our calculations we have $9600.00coverage situation left to one person who barely knows us. Our daughter is theconduit but obviously she's focused on her healthy and the baby'shealthy.

We do believe the 25% portion of the fully paidcruise will be refunded to us based upon the spelled out cancellation policy.If I'm incorrect in this assumption would like to hear about that also.

Any advice to us as we go through this process? Has anyone had a large claim covered like

this with Card Member Services?

If you have read this far...Thanks for listeningand would love to hear shared experiences that may help our refund process. Ifthe refund is made and the experience is pleasant with Oceanic we will becruising again at some point in the future.

No, I’ve never had such a large claim through travel insurance, and never submitted a claim for coverage through a credit card.

I have no idea what’s covered through your policy. Often pregnancy isn’t covered at all, especially if you aren’t the one who is pregnant, and would have to cancel your cruise due to a c-section.

Yes, for any medical cancellation, the attending physician must complete the insurance company form. In my experience, it must prove to the insurance company that the insured is too ill to travel.

How this works in your situation, I don’t know. It doesn’t appear to be an emergency that really affects your ability to take your cruise.

What has the insurer for your credit card company told you about your coverage for this situation?

Edited by 6rugrats

• 2 weeks later...

Update..... Very strange roller coaster story about having to cancel our cruise... I started the process of filing an insurance claim.

It turns out that a week after our daughters diagnoses of life threatening pregnancy... The doctor came back and said it's not longer life threatening. The delivery is now AFTER the end of the cruise.

So I have another long story about how we then called up Oceanic to ask if we could get back on the cruise. It has it's down twists and turns and if anyone is interested I will write up it as lessons learned. Just don't know what thread to put it under.,

This is a continuation of the story.. Took me awhile to write it up. Lots of details but we're on home stretch to make the cruise now.

I have specific insurance questions. Wish I could keep the storyshort but it goes along with the questions.

We were booked on Oceanic Feb 25th cruise.. All paidand ready to go.

We found out in Sept that our daughter waspregnant with her second child... wonderful news…..March 17th duedate....back from Cruise and then off to spend time with new grandson. Agrandparent’s life of bliss.

A few weeks ago our daughter’s pregnancy turnedinto a high risk pregnancy. She was diagnosed with placenta accreta. This was apotentially life threatening situation. She lives in the Netherlandswith her Dutch Husband. The Due date with a higher risk C Section wasmoved up to March 6th.

So then we cancelled our cruise on Jan 16thand proceeded to file an insurance claim.

I read some of the small print in the Allianzpolicy. Pregnancy is not covered but complications from pregnancy are with theright kind of letter from the doctor. However the doctor in Holland would not fill out the physicians form.She only wrote a letter to my daughter in Dutch explaining the situation at thetime which led to the diagnosis

Our daughter had more specialty doctorappointments and a follow-up MRI… On Jan. 23rd our daughter receivednews from the doctor that the situation was not as severe as initially wasdiagnosed. She still is under careful watch but the situation is now not lifethreatening. . The C-section is now scheduled for March 17th.

So then we asked/begged Oceanic to let us backon the cruise… After 4 NO’s from them we found the right people and contacts toask and we are BACK on the cruise.

Pregnancy is going good and we’re getting veryexcited. We of course cancelled the insurance claim.

We booked the cruise under Chase INK Sapphirewith is Member Card Services backed by Allianz.

At this late point in time should we look for asupplemental policy or in case anything goes wrong.

We do have the backup trip cancellation/interruption insurance from the Chase Sapphire credit card.