First Cruise with a Teenager (advice on cruise card)

CruiserTeri

This is not my first cruise but it is my first cruise with a teenager that wants to go off on their own. What do others do with their cruise cards when they are doing water slides and swimming on their own and then want to go back to the cabin to change on their own?I am worried she will loose her card and not be able to get back to the cabin. How do you keep up with your teens?

along with the wrist band or lanyard, not much else you can do except trust you've done right the first 14 formative years.

The most important thing now is to hold the teen accountable if they do lose it. Make them go get the replacement. Sure, go with to provide support but make them go through the hassle of getting a replacement.

Also, make them earn some money somehow so they can have their own account on the card. Sure, you can pick up the gratuities, but give them the opportunity to make their own purchases without you hovering over them.

Mine only had about $100, I matched so they could buy stuff for their friends, or buy shakes, or burgers, or arcade time.

Set the rules you want before you go. Our son knew what he could/couldn't do. He was given the freedom on sea days to hang with the kids he met in Circle C. He usually had a group, and that's who he hung with. They would play video games, swim, or go eat most of the time. He would usually find us once or twice during the day and just check in. He knew he had to be back at the specified time for dinner, and then again at the end of the night (and that depended on how late the club activities were going and what we had planned the next morning).

As far as spending and card, my son used the lanyard that we bought. Yes, his card got lost once (maybe more than that), but he would go to guest services and get a replacement. We/he had no problems with that. It happens, they suspend the other card so it can't be used, we had no problems. I mean, they're teens and honestly, the little hole punched in it sometimes gets worn, and that's how it broke off. He never really spent money because there wasn't anything he really needed. We got him the Bottomless Bubbles package, so he had all the drinks he needed. He knew we didn't want him buying the specialty drinks/shakes, etc... There were plenty of free things. And same for stuff in the fun shops. He may have bought some candy, that was about it.

I really think it's all on how you've raised your kid and what they know/expect from you. It's pretty easy to navigate it all!

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. I am not worried about her spending, she has her own money for that. I just worry about what to tell her about the card when she is doing water slides or swimming.

She could take a little bag with her too. Stick her towel in it, maybe a book or something, just to have some stuff to hold a spot, with her card there. It seems when the kids all went swimming, they just stuck all their stuff together. I'm pretty sure that's how mine lost his card once! LOL! As did some of the others. But more so because of the hole that they use to hang it on the lanyard, it does get broken.

My son keeps his phone and his sail and sign card in his pocket when he's swimming and going down water slides. Since he leaves the stateroom at like 8am and we don't see him again until 10pm, he has to check in with us throughout the day on the Hub app letting us know all is good. On port days of course he's with us in port. I do the same though, I keep my sail and sign card in my pocket. My swim trunks always have a pocket on them.

I did think of the pocket but since she is a girl I don't think I will be able to convince her to wear swim trunks. I wear woman's board shorts and they do not even have a pocket. I got her a lanyard that she likes to put the cruise card on for the rest of the time but she can't wear it on the water slides. I guess she is just going to have to take a bag and leave it and her towel in a bag. I just wasn't sure if someone might take it out of her bag.