Global Entry card

GwenA

I am a US citizen, will the Global Entry Card (Will have passport also) expedite embarkation or disembarkation?

Will I have a separate line, hopefully shorter🙄

HAL Alaska, departing from Vancouver, getting off Seward Alaska

I am a US citizen, will the Global Entry Card (Will have passport also) expedite embarkation or disembarkation?

Will I have a separate line, hopefully shorter🙄

HAL Alaska, departing from Vancouver, getting off Seward Alaska

I don't think the Global Entry helps in either embarkation of debarkation. I think Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale is the only cruise port currently approved to accept Global Entry. And it's only for debarkation/rentry to the US.

In Vancouver there was a special kiosk that we used when we cleared United States immigration/custom since we had Global entry. You do have to clear USA when boarding in Vancouver. I am not sure if it really save us much time and if they do this all the time. We had a special procedure for the ship as we had an overnight there.

Keith

Vancouver is unique in that, as you board the ship, you are clearing US Immigration (by leaving Canada). It is also one of the few "pre clearance" locations. So you will do US Immigration as you board the ship, and this speeds things up for the rest of your cruise. I think I have heard there is a Global Entry Line, but no machines.

Otherwise, currently the only port that accepts Global Entry for the normal time, when you enter the US, is Ft Lauderdale. They also don't use the machines, you just get a much faster line.

We have also been able to use a special expedited Global Entry line at the Port of Miami. We are not certain if this is a permanent policy at POM and do not know if its being used at all the piers.

Hank

We've used Global Entry in Vancouver, Miami and FLL seaport terminals, as well as at automated kiosks in Sydney, Melbourne and Aukland airports.

Are you saying that a US citizen with GE can use an auto kiosk at SYD and it will acknowledge your ETA for entry to Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've used Global Entry in Vancouver, Miami and FLL seaport terminals, as well as at automated kiosks in Sydney, Melbourne and Aukland airports.

SYD, Melbourne and Aukland? Something doesn't sound right here...No where do I see those airports even being considered for pre-clearance. Or did you use it to somehow benefit you as a "known traveler"?

FYI, at many pre-clearance locations, if you do not have your Global Entry card with you, you cannot use the Global Entry line.

Only true if you haven't registered your TT # in your airline FF profile or on the specific itinerary. Once you do that, "pre" should appear automatically on your boarding pass.

Only true if you haven't registered your TT # in your airline FF profile or on the specific itinerary. Once you do that, "pre" should appear automatically on your boarding pass.

You are confusing TSA Pre-Check with Global Entry.

TSA Pre-Check is only available at US airports. It deals with the security screening. Yes, if you have it on file with your airline profile, you will see Pre on your boarding card and can use the Pre-Check line.

Global Entry is an immigration thing, and is available at ports of entry, including foreign airports with pre-clearance (you go through immigration and customs before boarding).

In Canadian airports (what I have had experience with), you must be able to show your Global Entry card to access the Global Entry line. There are not Global Entry kiosks, but a short line, that moves quicker.

If you get Global Entry, you get Pre-Check included for free. Or you can just get Pre-Check. But since Global Entry is $100 per 5 years, and Pre-Check alone is $85 per 5 years, I don't see why anyone would do that.

You are confusing TSA Pre-Check with Global Entry.

TSA Pre-Check is only available at US airports. It deals with the security screening. Yes, if you have it on file with your airline profile, you will see Pre on your boarding card and can use the Pre-Check line.

Global Entry is an immigration thing, and is available at ports of entry, including foreign airports with pre-clearance (you go through immigration and customs before boarding).

In Canadian airports (what I have had experience with), you must be able to show your Global Entry card to access the Global Entry line. There are not Global Entry kiosks, but a short line, that moves quicker.

If you get Global Entry, you get Pre-Check included for free. Or you can just get Pre-Check. But since Global Entry is $100 per 5 years, and Pre-Check alone is $85 per 5 years, I don't see why anyone would do that.

Sorry, the only thing that confused me was your use of the term "pre-clearance," which I took to mean the "pre" line. I know what Global Entry is and that it includes "pre". We fly in and out of SFO and, as it says on the Global Entry website, there's no need to have your card for reentry into the US and that includes getting onto the SFO GE line (what I now assume you mean by "pre-clearance").

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Are you saying that a US citizen with GE can use an auto kiosk at SYD and it will acknowledge your ETA for entry to Australia?

Yes, we used the automated kiosks at SYD airport and were whisked through dedicated exit lanes that used facial recognition tech after we landed. Our ETA was probably checked via the kiosk, we did not have to show any seperate document or go to any other line or Customs officer. Our travel agent had handled the ETA entry protocol.

When we left Melbourne for Auckland, there were also special lines for computerized Customs check.

Automation can be a wonderful thing at times.

Sorry, the only thing that confused me was your use of the term "pre-clearance," which I took to mean the "pre" line. I know what Global Entry is and that it includes "pre". We fly in and out of SFO and, as it says on the Global Entry website, there's no need to have your card for reentry into the US and that includes getting onto the SFO GE line (what I now assume you mean by "pre-clearance").

Pre-clearance is where you complete all US Immigration and Customs requirements (including by Global Entry) at an airport outside the US, prior to boarding a flight to the US. The flight then essentially becomes a domestic flight. This happens at about 15 airports in the world, and is explained here:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

It has nothing to do, directly, with TSA Pre-check, or GE.

Pre-clearance is where you complete all US Immigration and Customs requirements (including by Global Entry) at an airport outside the US, prior to boarding a flight to the US. The flight then essentially becomes a domestic flight. This happens at about 15 airports in the world, and is explained here:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

It has nothing to do, directly, with TSA Pre-check, or GE.

Thanks. Been quite some time since I've flown home from some of those airports.

No, pre-clearance is where you clear US immigration and customs at a foreign airport or port.

If you go to Canada, when you fly back to the US, you will clear US immigration and customs in Canada, and arrive into the US like you were on a domestic flight.

Pre-clearance is being expanded to a number of major non-US hubs.

• 2 weeks later...
No Global Entry line when we arrived in Miami in December.

Vancouver has excellent programs. In addition to Global Entry, if you have a NEXUS card, (party of Global Entry program), you do an iris scan and are quickly out the door.

The thing about Global Entry and the Port of Miami is you have to have sharp eyes to find a sign...and be a bit inquisitive. We have used our Global Entry at the POM a few times with not problems. While there is often not a separate line you can get "front of the line" privileges. The last time we were at the POM we simply ask one of the port security folks about a Global Entry line and she took us under a rope barrier and to the front of a long queue...where we quickly were cleared by immigration. She (the security worker) did first ask to see our Global Entry cards .

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
The thing about Global Entry and the Port of Miami is you have to have sharp eyes to find a sign...and be a bit inquisitive. We have used our Global Entry at the POM a few times with not problems. While there is often not a separate line you can get "front of the line" privileges. The last time we were at the POM we simply ask one of the port security folks about a Global Entry line and she took us under a rope barrier and to the front of a long queue...where we quickly were cleared by immigration. She (the security worker) did first ask to see our Global Entry cards .

Hank

This is why it is important to carry the actual cards with you. I know some people do not but I always have on me.

This is why it is important to carry the actual cards with you. I know some people do not but I always have on me.

Agree. It also serves as an accepted government picture ID...which can come in handy in many ports and with the airlines.

Hank

Global Entry is available at Port Everglades but if you use the Mobile Passport app (free) you get to use the same line as Global Entry customers.

When we came in via Port Everglades on Sunday there was literally no one in the Global Entry line. With Mobile Passport we saved about 10 minutes in line (and gave it back waiting for the rental car shuttle, but hey).

Edit: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control