Sewer problems in Barbados

loving goldens

Hi there this will be our first time visiting Barbados in March on the Reflection... I have been reading about the sewer problem they are having here.... does this effect the beaches that you would visit while stopping at this port??? thk u for any info... :)

Hi, we were in Barbados at the end of December and didn't notice any nasty smells. We spent the day at the Boatyard and the sea looked fine. Hope this helps give you some reassurance.

Hi, we were in Barbados at the end of December and didn't notice any nasty smells. We spent the day at the Boatyard and the sea looked fine. Hope this helps give you some reassurance.

We are heading to Barbados in June. Was the boatyard as fun as everyone says? Was it expensive? Can you snorkel there and if so do they rent equipment? Sorry for all the questions. Just haven’t seen anything about the boatyard recently. Thanks[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are heading to Barbados in June. Was the boatyard as fun as everyone says? Was it expensive? Can you snorkel there and if so do they rent equipment? Sorry for all the questions. Just haven’t seen anything about the boatyard recently. Thanks[emoji16]

I would start a new thread on this subject or there are other thread as recently as the other day about Boatyard.

Keith

Here is a link to TripAdvisor that may give you some insight into the sewer problem(s) on the island:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k10069882-o210-Sewage_problems_on_South_Coast-Barbados.html

I wish I had checked here before this cruise. Thanks for posting the TripAdvisor link, Ming. I was checking for health alerts from our CDC or the Barbados government after our stop there about 4 days ago. The sewers are still a problem, mosquitos are a problem and this is only the second place in the Northern Hemisphere we have visited in the last 10 years that our CDC recommends a Hepatitis A vaccine for even casual travelers (that includes day cruisers). Four days later and I think the jerk chicken at the port entry area was probably not a good idea. No, I know the symptom differences between noro, salmonella and Hepatitis A and I think I got hit with basic traveler's diarrhea. Not fun at all and yes, self quarantined because I am not exactly feeling sociable.

For the US CDC information just Google the words "health alerts" and the name of the

country on which you want information.

Hi, I specifically went to the Boatyard to swim with the turtles. Unfortunately we didn't see any turtles and were unlikely too due to the boat only going to the shipwreck and not the usual turtle site.

The answer to your questions are, yes, the Boatyard offers good value for money. The cruise ship special price is $us20pp. The entrance fee includes sunbed and umbrell (first come first served), free cocktail, snorkeling trip which includes snorkeling gear and vest. Finally you get a free taxi bus ride back to the cruise port.

If seeing turtles is not for you, then I can recommend the Boatyard.

so is the sewage issue affecting the areas near the cruise port?

According to the Barbados Government Information Service website the Tourism Minister was at the port on December 29th, 2017 basically saying he was optimistic that the sewage problem should soon be rectified. A bit of Googling and it appears this was a problem 10 years in the making so I would not eat there until I was sure everything had tested as clean. No ice either so drink bottled beer. I tend to be an adventuresome eater but had I known about this problem I would have had lunch on the ship.

Here is a link to TripAdvisor that may give you some insight into the sewer problem(s) on the island:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k10069882-o210-Sewage_problems_on_South_Coast-Barbados.html

So after reading so many posts I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go to a beach further north on the island than the south shore area where the cruise ship docks. Skip my planned trip to Boatyard if water questionable. Do you know of beaches north & how far a cab ride they would be. I have heath issues & am now worried about compromising my system.

I posted a few days ago to a thread a few below this one but the thread title doesn’t suggest it is about the sewer problem, so I’m re-posting it again here.

Are the typical go to beaches...Pirates Cove, Harbour Lights,Boatyard in the danger zone?”

No problem near any of those spots.

The actual,ongoing problem (for many years) is generally confined to the Worthing area of the south coast. That is a considerable distance away from all of the west coast attractions.

Harbour Lights, The Boatyard and day sails are confined to Carlisle Bay which is many miles away from the problem plus these attractions are “around the horn” of the island which would help deflect any possible unwanted effluent should it ever get that far.

Directly in front of the problem area the natural salt water currents help reduce any contamination to near zero. The turtles swim through here to nest and the fish and reefs are healthy. It is just the Worthing Beach and the water out perhaps 100’ that is sometimes contaminated during the rainy season.

Please don’t be concerned in the least. This problem is now being repaired and I can assure you that all of the west, north, east and much of the south areas of the island are clean and pristine. No worries.

Please go and enjoy your holiday! J

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Go WEST Coast and you'll have no problems.

Attached photo shows Mullins Beach, quite aways up the West Coast

The problems are on the South Coast - so avoid that.

CRANE Beach out East is also cool, no sewage there

Mullins-28A.jpg.f9d17bd60ad49bb7c5b5b17c34645a13.jpg