Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:11 AM.
Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
best way to lose weight for most is low carb - high fat or also called keto - Complex carbs are NOT a necessary part of your diet - we do not need them to live - they really serve no purpose - especially to those of us that have lost significant POF (pounds of fat) not eating them - I have lost 100 POF and do Not eat fruits of any type (berries are allowed but I only eat them as a treat) and any veggie that grows above ground is allowed! I do not eat grain - rice - potatoes - carrots - or pasta of any type -

If you really want to get serious and lose those POF AND get healthy - give dietdoctor.com a try - only $9 per month and quit at any time - lectures - teaching videos - menus - recipes - guidance - shopping lists and so much more!
We are here for you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore
Australia
279 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Hi - havenít written for a while. Had a great cruise to NZ in mid April and did really well with my eating. My drinking - not so good. But overall not to bad.
Then came the Christmas celebrations and I certainly over indulged. So back on track again now as also back at work (which helps me stay in routine). The first few days are hard, but getting back into cooking LCHF.
We have a cruise booked for mid August Vancouver to Alaska on Celebrity Millennium, so want to drop about 2 inches of my waist before then.
Eggs will become my best friends again.
Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and a Joyous New Year. Now it time to get back to Low Carb. Whoís with me?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by BrisQld
Hi - havenít written for a while. Had a great cruise to NZ in mid April and did really well with my eating. My drinking - not so good. But overall not to bad.
Then came the Christmas celebrations and I certainly over indulged. So back on track again now as also back at work (which helps me stay in routine). The first few days are hard, but getting back into cooking LCHF.
We have a cruise booked for mid August Vancouver to Alaska on Celebrity Millennium, so want to drop about 2 inches of my waist before then.
Eggs will become my best friends again.
Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and a Joyous New Year. Now it time to get back to Low Carb. Whoís with me?
Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Eggs - bacon - anything that is Keto and LCHF - my best friends - We also do not drink from Saturday night to Friday afternoon - and when I do drink it is a little wine 0r Sprite zero and Absolute Ruby Red Vodka - 0 carbs!

Went to a party last night (friend threw me a late BD Party) and everyone brought LCHF/KETO snacks! There were Scoop Fritos for those that wanted - but of course, I took my own Chicharonnes!

Keep up the great work! YOU GOT THIS!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore
NC
281 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Iíve been mentally preparing for our cruise in 2 weeks to stay keto. I know itís entirely possible to do. Itíll be up to me and my will power to avoid the carbs. Itís not so much weight gain as health that I need to stay on keto for. When I go off, I get headaches and irritable and my chronic hives can flare and I usually end up sick. I want to enjoy the trip without being tired the whole time. But Iím the only one in a group of 11 eating low carb and I find it hard without a buddy for support. I appreciate any tips or advice or encouragement!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
sailed...Carnival Ecstasy 8/2017
next up... Disney World on dry land
then... Carnival Conquest 1/2018!
Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by bmetz34
Iíve been mentally preparing for our cruise in 2 weeks to stay keto. I know itís entirely possible to do. Itíll be up to me and my will power to avoid the carbs. Itís not so much weight gain as health that I need to stay on keto for. When I go off, I get headaches and irritable and my chronic hives can flare and I usually end up sick. I want to enjoy the trip without being tired the whole time. But Iím the only one in a group of 11 eating low carb and I find it hard without a buddy for support. I appreciate any tips or advice or encouragement!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so very much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore
31 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
I also try keto from time to time, but at the moment, I don't really see why it should be necessary for me. But my partner is on a keto diet for the last three month and I plan to support him while on a cruise. Thank you for sharing your impressions about dieting while on board, I now think it will be no big issue. @bmetz34, I hope you can stay strong during your trip, but I am pretty sure once you made this decision, it will be okay to stick to the plan. You really have a good reason for that, as it seems.
Delaware
591 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Thought I'd introduce myself...I'm 53 and have been overweight to some extent nearly my whole life. I quit smoking when I was 40 and gained even more weight so now I'm at a place I'd rather not be with my weight. Many years back I joined the Atkins WOL and lost about 80 pounds and kept it off for 3 or 4 years but then went back to normal eating. Well maybe that's not true. Ha! I started eating sugar again and ate like a pig and gained it back. I had tried several times over the years to do Atkins again, but it just didn't seem to work for me like it did that first time and I'd get frustrated and quit. I'd been thinking about trying it again wanting to lose weight for two cruises this year and for my daughter's wedding when I noticed a couple of people from work talking about the ketogenic WOE on a social media platform. I researched it and talked to them about it and decided to give it a go. I started December 5th and had lost 18.5 lbs as of last Friday. (I'm away this week and unable to weigh which is killing me. Yes, I admit it. I'm a chronic weigher. Ha!) I'm really loving eating this way. Feel better and have seen more change in my body than you would normally see with that amount of weight loss. BTW, I've got a lot to lose probably around 120 lbs total. So that's my weight story.

My cruise story is that we're going on our 20th cruise for our 20th anniversary year on February 25th on RCCL Anthem of the Seas. Love that ship. Love that we're going back to Barbados where we got married off of a Carnival ship 20 years ago. And love that I will have hopefully lost about 30 lbs. by the time we go. My hope is that I'll pretty much stay on the plan for the cruise. My big issue will probably be my night time snack. I know that's frowned on and against IF (which I'm not really doing yet, but hoping to work up to one day) but it's a big deal for me. I love a right before bedtime snack. Currently it's either a fat bomb or SF Jello (I know I know it's lazy keto, but that little bit of artificial sugar seems to be okay for me). Not sure what I'll do on the ship. They probably have SF Jello if I manage to get it and put it in the fridge for later. I should probably plan something and take onboard. Any ideas of something not too far off the plan for a snack I could carry on? Other planned cheat may be some wine and just alcohol in general which I know in quantities tends to stall me. I'm okay with that as long as I don't really fall off the wagon and go wild with bad foods.

Thanks Esahuma for your inspirational posts of how you live the life every day and most especially on board the ship. They've been invaluable in helping me to map out my plan for my upcoming 12 night cruise!

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
03/03/2019 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 12 night Southern Caribbean
06/05/2018 - Carnival Horizon - 8 night Eastern Caribbean
02/25/2018 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 12 night Southern Caribbean
05/15/2017 - Carnival Sunshine - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
09/17/2016 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 5 night Bermuda
04/11/2016 - Norwegian Gem - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
09/19/2015 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 2nd try at 5 night Bermuda
04/28/2015 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
10/18/2014 - RCCL Explorer -5 nt Bermuda diverted to Canada - Hurricane Gonzalo
03/11/2014 - RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
04/09/2013 - Norwegian Gem - 9 night Eastern Caribbean
03/11/2012 - Carnival Pride - 7 day Bahamas (PLATINUM!!)
03/13/2011 - Carnival Pride - 7 day Bahamas
03/14/2010 - Carnival Legend - 7 day Western Caribbean
03/14/2009 - Carnival Glory - 7 day Eastern Caribbean
03/23/2008 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 day Western Caribbean
04/15/2006 - Carnival Fantasy...Switched from Sensation - 5 day Bahamas
04/30/2000 - Carnival Inspiration - 7 day Dutch Treat
10/11/1999 - Carnival Triumph - 4 day Canada
04/11/1999 - Carnival Inspiration - 7 day Southern Caribbean
04/25/1998 - Carnival Fascination - 7 day S. Caribbean - Married in Barbados
04/13/1996 - Carnival Imagination - 7 day Western Caribbean






Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by cloudydrms
Thought I'd introduce myself...I'm 53 and have been overweight to some extent nearly my whole life. I quit smoking when I was 40 and gained even more weight so now I'm at a place I'd rather not be with my weight. Many years back I joined the Atkins WOL and lost about 80 pounds and kept it off for 3 or 4 years but then went back to normal eating. Well maybe that's not true. Ha! I started eating sugar again and ate like a pig and gained it back. I had tried several times over the years to do Atkins again, but it just didn't seem to work for me like it did that first time and I'd get frustrated and quit. I'd been thinking about trying it again wanting to lose weight for two cruises this year and for my daughter's wedding when I noticed a couple of people from work talking about the ketogenic WOE on a social media platform. I researched it and talked to them about it and decided to give it a go. I started December 5th and had lost 18.5 lbs as of last Friday. (I'm away this week and unable to weigh which is killing me. Yes, I admit it. I'm a chronic weigher. Ha!) I'm really loving eating this way. Feel better and have seen more change in my body than you would normally see with that amount of weight loss. BTW, I've got a lot to lose probably around 120 lbs total. So that's my weight story.

My cruise story is that we're going on our 20th cruise for our 20th anniversary year on February 25th on RCCL Anthem of the Seas. Love that ship. Love that we're going back to Barbados where we got married off of a Carnival ship 20 years ago. And love that I will have hopefully lost about 30 lbs. by the time we go. My hope is that I'll pretty much stay on the plan for the cruise. My big issue will probably be my night time snack. I know that's frowned on and against IF (which I'm not really doing yet, but hoping to work up to one day) but it's a big deal for me. I love a right before bedtime snack. Currently it's either a fat bomb or SF Jello (I know I know it's lazy keto, but that little bit of artificial sugar seems to be okay for me). Not sure what I'll do on the ship. They probably have SF Jello if I manage to get it and put it in the fridge for later. I should probably plan something and take onboard. Any ideas of something not too far off the plan for a snack I could carry on? Other planned cheat may be some wine and just alcohol in general which I know in quantities tends to stall me. I'm okay with that as long as I don't really fall off the wagon and go wild with bad foods.

Thanks Esahuma for your inspirational posts of how you live the life every day and most especially on board the ship. They've been invaluable in helping me to map out my plan for my upcoming 12 night cruise!

Cindy
Thanks, Cindy - I used to want a 'bedtime' snack but gave it up almost 2 years ago when I went LCHF/Keto but during the first few weeks I did macadamia nuts at night - very satisfying Low in carbs and high in fat -

Are you on FB? I have a support page that is a closed group so you will need to request to join - all are welcome IF you are truly interested in getting healthy through ANY healthy wOE (way of eating)

We are listed as LCHF Friends Support Team -
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore
Delaware
591 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Esahuma
Thanks, Cindy - I used to want a 'bedtime' snack but gave it up almost 2 years ago when I went LCHF/Keto but during the first few weeks I did macadamia nuts at night - very satisfying Low in carbs and high in fat -

Are you on FB? I have a support page that is a closed group so you will need to request to join - all are welcome IF you are truly interested in getting healthy through ANY healthy wOE (way of eating)

We are listed as LCHF Friends Support Team -
I will definitely join your support page! I can use all the help that I can get, and no worries I'm not crazy about anything. Whatever works for you I say. Speaking of which, I'm glad macadamia nuts worked for you, but ewwwww!! I love almost every kind of nut except them. Ha! Pecans have been a go to for me lately. I'll definitely have to find something because the bedtime time is going to be a hard one for me to give up. When I start working on that I'm just gonna try to move it earlier. I doubt I'll ever be able to do the two meal a day thing like is suggested by some. Although I definitely don't snack in between like I used to. Really the bedtime one is the last man standing.

Thanks for the invite!!

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
03/03/2019 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 12 night Southern Caribbean
06/05/2018 - Carnival Horizon - 8 night Eastern Caribbean
02/25/2018 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 12 night Southern Caribbean
05/15/2017 - Carnival Sunshine - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
09/17/2016 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 5 night Bermuda
04/11/2016 - Norwegian Gem - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
09/19/2015 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 2nd try at 5 night Bermuda
04/28/2015 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
10/18/2014 - RCCL Explorer -5 nt Bermuda diverted to Canada - Hurricane Gonzalo
03/11/2014 - RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 10 night Eastern Caribbean
04/09/2013 - Norwegian Gem - 9 night Eastern Caribbean
03/11/2012 - Carnival Pride - 7 day Bahamas (PLATINUM!!)
03/13/2011 - Carnival Pride - 7 day Bahamas
03/14/2010 - Carnival Legend - 7 day Western Caribbean
03/14/2009 - Carnival Glory - 7 day Eastern Caribbean
03/23/2008 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 day Western Caribbean
04/15/2006 - Carnival Fantasy...Switched from Sensation - 5 day Bahamas
04/30/2000 - Carnival Inspiration - 7 day Dutch Treat
10/11/1999 - Carnival Triumph - 4 day Canada
04/11/1999 - Carnival Inspiration - 7 day Southern Caribbean
04/25/1998 - Carnival Fascination - 7 day S. Caribbean - Married in Barbados
04/13/1996 - Carnival Imagination - 7 day Western Caribbean






Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by cloudydrms
I will definitely join your support page! I can use all the help that I can get, and no worries I'm not crazy about anything. Whatever works for you I say. Speaking of which, I'm glad macadamia nuts worked for you, but ewwwww!! I love almost every kind of nut except them. Ha! Pecans have been a go to for me lately. I'll definitely have to find something because the bedtime time is going to be a hard one for me to give up. When I start working on that I'm just gonna try to move it earlier. I doubt I'll ever be able to do the two meal a day thing like is suggested by some. Although I definitely don't snack in between like I used to. Really the bedtime one is the last man standing.

Thanks for the invite!!

Cindy
Welcome to our Team Page on FB - BTW - night eating was the hardest for me also - but not - no sweat - but it has been almost 2 years
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore
Virginia
91 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Hi. I just requested to join your group as well. Iíve been doing Keto for the last year. Love it. We had 3 cruises last year and I didnít manage to stay Keto . The first cruise I was able to jump right back on after and lost the 7 pounds I gained right away. The 2nd cruise took a little longer and 3rd was bad break up with Keto lol.

I cruise again in Feb. now my husband is on Keto. That has made things easier at home. Of course heís lost weight quick. The only fail he has is he canít not eat popcorn at the movies. Iím pretty sure he wonít stay Keto on the cruise either. I want to try more this time. I hated how hard it was last time to get back to it.

The bad issue right now is Iím having gall bladder issues. Has anyone else had this issue? Iím not supposed to eat fatty stuff which is a big part of Keto. Keto is literally the only ďdietĒ which I have been able to actually stick to so I donít want to give it up. Of course they want me to get it removed but the issue with that is the time off work. I have cruises planned which are taking all my PTO.
Yes first cruise was last year and Iím totally addicted. Luckily my husband also feel in love with cruising


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy

First cruise 2/12/17 Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas
(soooooo excited)

11/5/2017 Freedom of the Seas

2/11/2017 Oasis of the Seas
Clovis, CA
5,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Tntlpn
Hi. I just requested to join your group as well. Iíve been doing Keto for the last year. Love it. We had 3 cruises last year and I didnít manage to stay Keto . The first cruise I was able to jump right back on after and lost the 7 pounds I gained right away. The 2nd cruise took a little longer and 3rd was bad break up with Keto lol.

I cruise again in Feb. now my husband is on Keto. That has made things easier at home. Of course heís lost weight quick. The only fail he has is he canít not eat popcorn at the movies. Iím pretty sure he wonít stay Keto on the cruise either. I want to try more this time. I hated how hard it was last time to get back to it.

The bad issue right now is Iím having gall bladder issues. Has anyone else had this issue? Iím not supposed to eat fatty stuff which is a big part of Keto. Keto is literally the only ďdietĒ which I have been able to actually stick to so I donít want to give it up. Of course they want me to get it removed but the issue with that is the time off work. I have cruises planned which are taking all my PTO.
Yes first cruise was last year and Iím totally addicted. Luckily my husband also feel in love with cruising


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Welcome to LCHF Friends Support Team Tracy Even though I manage to stay pretty much LCHF/Keto and do IF (intermittent fasting) - we don't usually do breakfast and if we do it is eggs and breakfast meats only - I still manage to gain 5-7 Pounds - think most of it is from drinking - and I only have wine or my sprite zero and vodka - an occasional beer (because we get them free sometimes) but it does come off quickly when I get home!

About the gallbladder - I also have reoccurring pain and an issue at time by U take an 800 mg motrin and that stops it dead in the tracks - I have had testing and I don't have stones so they don't know why this happens - I try to ignore it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
375 Total Days at Sea
Royal - D+ = Celebrity - Elite
* Sign up for RCL Meet & Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccSearch.do


Future Cruises:


Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego

Nov 2019 - Rhapsody - 14 day - TA Barcelona - Tampa
Feb 2020 - Constellation - 14 days - Dubai - Singapore