Seabourn Pride London to Lisbon in pictures and video

Emperor Norton

DSC_3327-XL.jpg

Someone tried to start a rumor that one of the passengers used the hot tub as his personal bath tub /yuck

DSC_3329-XL.jpg

DSC_3332-XL.jpg

Stock for the pool deck, anything else needs to come from the Skybar or points further

DSC_3330-XL.jpg

The Constellation lounges offerings, anything else they have to walk about 15' to the Skybar

DSC_3333-XL.jpg

Cruising into Bordeaux I didn't realize that my favorite bakeries and local shops had been replaced by generic stores that you can find anywhere. Also the Regent hotel was now something else, run by others. I think I need a return trip with a few more days to re-locate all the good stuff. Perhaps a map could be made that excludes multinational chains.

Did I say Bordeaux? I meant New Jersey.

DSC_3334-XL.jpg

It was actually Bordeaux.

DSC_3338-XL.jpg

DSC_3339-XL.jpg

DSC_3340-XL.jpg

DSC_3344-XL.jpg

This Welsh cider was the last of the four different bottles I bought in Falmouth. It was the best of the bunch, but I felt it almost crossed the border into sweet wine territory with its taste (not alcohol content).

DSC_3341-XL.jpg

This was an interesting bridge. Instead of the roadway splitting in two and working like a medieval drawbridge the entire roadway rises vertically while staying flat.

DSC_3366-XL.jpg

DSC_3368-XL.jpg

DSC_3369-XL.jpg

DSC_3371-XL.jpg

If you were to squish the Pride, you'd wind up with this (note the dual "stacks" one port, one starboard, also note the forward overhangs).

DSC_3375-XL.jpg

We had lunch along the river near the ship. The place was run by a father/son pair and while I'd pass on their steak tartar their chocolate pot du creme was I think the best example I've had.

1380022793457-XL.jpg

DSC_3397-XL.jpg

After lunch I went looking for the bakeries I remembered from my visit in 2011 as well as the cafe in the Regent hotel where I'd had breakfast and a shop dedicated to Foie Gras.

Going downtown

DSC_3398-XL.jpg

DSC_3399-XL.jpg

No idea

DSC_3400-XL.jpg

They like Joan D'Arc, the British, not so much

DSC_3401-XL.jpg

That night I went back out and had dinner at what used to be the Regent hotel. The bread was good, the butter

IMG_20130924_200813-XL.jpg

sadly was not the super creamy Normandy butter that used to be served. The Foie Gras appetizer was HUGE. I had what must've been two six - eight ounce slices. The wine list was nice and I was able to get a good local wine for a decent price. What I found funny was the Sirius going for 5 euro a glass. Cheapest wine on their list (IIRC even cheaper than the house pours).

IMG_20130924_222421-XL.jpg

The next day the Skygrill was again set up

DSC_3437-XL.jpg

I found two people that I would have like to have confined to their rooms. I know Seabourn isn't as formal as it used to be, but this? Really? Especially with the bare feet?

Baddy1

DSC_3439-XL.jpg

Baddy2

DSC_3440-XL.jpg

Sometimes looking up can be a bad thing

DSC_3438-XL.jpg

After less than 18 hours we left Bordeaux. The interesting bit for the day was that the pilot would be leaving via helo rather than pilot boat. Of course they booted us from deck 8 forward and everyone gathered/cluttered the Constellation lounge

DSC_3441-XL.jpg

After deciding that shooting through people and glass wouldn't do me any favors I went outside.

DSC_3446-XL.jpg

I saw the ships rescue swimmers suiting up in case the pilot got wet

DSC_3444-XL.jpg

Interesting change in the water color

DSC_3445-XL.jpg

Yes, Sean Smit was bartending. It was his last cruise with Seabourn. He left in Lisbon to go home to South Africa for a bit before attempting to emigrate to Australia with his fiancee.

Thanks. He was a good guy and should do well in Australia.

I forgot to post this earlier, Pride docking in

Not sure if this link will work. There is a video on YouTube of the Pride arriving in Bordeaux in Sept filmed from land. If not you can search it on YouTube. Its called Timelapse Dernier passage du Seabourn Pride a Bordeaux - Sept 2013. Uploaded 26 Sept. Perhaps you can catch a glimpse of yourself onboard.

St. Jean de Luz was another port where the closer it got to go time the better the weather/visibility was.

It was also a tender port and thankfully the capt found a way to temporarily block out chicken little.

DSC_3480-XL.jpg

On the way into town this group of divers passed us. They were going to see if the Pride was leaking oil.

DSC_3483-XL.jpg

Tendering into town:

DSC_3484-XL.jpg

DSC_3485-XL.jpg

DSC_3487-XL.jpg

There goes our tender

DSC_3486-XL.jpg

Today started off in a disjointed fashion. Shopping with the chef left early so the tour group was spread across multiple tenders. Not a great start. After "everyone" is finally assembled the head count is north of 20 which is odd as only 10 have signed up. Rather than sending the ten people who couldn't be bothered to sign up off on their own the chef let them come along.

The market we were going to was only a few blocks from the tender pier so we walked to it. The market was named Les Halles, I'm guessing after the one in Paris.

The first place we stopped sold all forms of porcine goodness. The chef had the butcher provide samples of some cured ham which was good (not excellent prosciutto good, but better than most of what you can get in the US).

The butcher and the chef (John Pugh)

DSC_3488-XL.jpg

DSC_3489-XL.jpg

DSC_3490-XL.jpg

DSC_3491-XL.jpg

DSC_3504-XL.jpg

DSC_3505-XL.jpg

A good chunk of the stalls seemed unworked with no sign of when they would open. I guess it's a mystery to all but the locals.

DSC_3497-XL.jpg

We went and tried a few cheeses that were wonderful and then it was off to the baker for some fresh baked bread and a tart/pie like thing that I seem to have lost track of. Locals be warned, we did buy her out of some varieties.

DSC_3503-XL.jpg

While at the baker a number of people were tempted to go and try the freshly roasted chicken

DSC_3506-XL.jpg

After the chef ended the tour I stuck around. We went to some vendors that we'd previously skipped to pick up previously ordered items, including a crate of fresh strawberries. The chef commented that the number one most requested item on board is always fresh berries and as such those are the hardest to keep stocked.

DSC_3507-XL.jpg

DSC_3508-XL.jpg

After a proper coffee with the chef it was time to earn my pay and help bring some of the food back to the tender.

I was tempted to ask for some but the person working the coffee/beer stall seemed to be grumpy with us after asking for a receipt

DSC_3509-XL.jpg

Edited by baychilla