Tapasinmalaga

Zoey1

There is absolutely no need to go on organised Tapas tour in Malaga. You will get a much more real feel of the city just following the locals into whichever bar takes your fancy (there are hundreds!). No problems if you don't speak Spanish - most staff speak some English or just point to whichever tapa you want to try.

There is absolutely no need to go on organised Tapas tour in Malaga. You will get a much more real feel of the city just following the locals into whichever bar takes your fancy (there are hundreds!). No problems if you don't speak Spanish - most staff speak some English or just point to whichever tapa you want to try.

If you don't read Spanish how would you point to what you want to try. Perhaps you are speaking of pointing to pre made tapas not a menu? Trying to figure this out as we will be in Barcelona and I want to try everything. Want to try pastries to....any suggestions? Thanks Judy

If you don't read Spanish how would you point to what you want to try. Perhaps you are speaking of pointing to pre made tapas not a menu? Trying to figure this out as we will be in Barcelona and I want to try everything. Want to try pastries to....any suggestions? Thanks Judy

Tapas are usually pre-prepared and are on display in a cool cabinet on the bar - in our opinion bars with Tapas menus are generally not as authentic and tend to be more tourist orientated/more expensive. If you are in a bar and there are 'extras' listed on a board just point to the board and shrug your shoulders - most bar owners are rightly proud of their tapas selection so, if they cannot speak any English to describe what is available, will usually happily bring examples of each to show you. Don't forget that many of the most authentic bars only offer tapas if you are sitting at the bar not at a table. Whereas round here in Andalucia we still either get a free tapa with a drink or don't pay more than one euro, we do find they can be considerably dearer in Barcelona being up to 4.50 euro each in some bars.

Regarding pastries, in Barcelona - and throughout Catalunya, especially well known in Mallorca - our favourite is 'Ensaimada' a lard based snail like confection often served at breakfast ranging from the size of your hand to giant wheels (see photos here) https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2hLfapZJXgACxZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=ensaimada&fr=yfp-t-UK102

Most Spanish pastries are very similar in basic content as can be seen here https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs3PHfapZfzcAMnNLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=spanish+pastries&fr=yfp-t-UK102

Don't fail to try the national morning addiction 'Churros' served with coffee or very thick hot chocolate - these are donut style fingers made for dunkingcsometimes drizzled with cinnamon or icing sugar. If you find horseshoe shaped churros like these https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs3NYgKpZuoMAOQFLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=churros&fr=yfp-t-UK102#id=7&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F6%2F6f%2FChurros_Madrid.jpg&action=click on offer these have probably been bought ready made/frozen and just reheated rather than made from scratch on the premises and are nowhere near as good in our opinion.

Edited by campolady

Tapas are usually pre-prepared and are on display in a cool cabinet on the bar - in our opinion bars with Tapas menus are generally not as authentic and tend to be more tourist orientated/more expensive. If you are in a bar and there are 'extras' listed on a board just point to the board and shrug your shoulders - most bar owners are rightly proud of their tapas selection so, if they cannot speak any English to describe what is available, will usually happily bring examples of each to show you. Don't forget that many of the most authentic bars only offer tapas if you are sitting at the bar not at a table. Whereas round here in Andalucia we still either get a free tapa with a drink or don't pay more than one euro, we do find they can be considerably dearer in Barcelona being up to 4.50 euro each in some bars.

Regarding pastries, in Barcelona - and throughout Catalunya, especially well known in Mallorca - our favourite is 'Ensaimada' a lard based snail like confection often served at breakfast ranging from the size of your hand to giant wheels (see photos here) https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2hLfapZJXgACxZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=ensaimada&fr=yfp-t-UK102

Most Spanish pastries are very similar in basic content as can be seen here https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs3PHfapZfzcAMnNLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=spanish+pastries&fr=yfp-t-UK102

Don't fail to try the national morning addiction 'Churros' served with coffee or very thick hot chocolate - these are donut style fingers made for dunkingcsometimes drizzled with cinnamon or icing sugar. If you find horseshoe shaped churros like these https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs3NYgKpZuoMAOQFLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=churros&fr=yfp-t-UK102#id=7&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F6%2F6f%2FChurros_Madrid.jpg&action=click on offer these have probably been bought ready made/frozen and just reheated rather than made from scratch on the premises and are nowhere near as good in our opinion.

Oh my....I'll be in pastry heaven. The photos made me drool:rolleyes:

Thank you for explaining tapas. Got it now. I will be pointing a lot. Gracias

I can't comment on the tour, but in defense of food tours, some of my favorite port stops have been food tours. We did a street market food tour in Palermo that we could have easily done on our own wandering from stall to stall, but...our guide was obviously a local and between his interactions with the vendors and his insight into the local culture it was well worth it. The food was great and we got a feel for Palermo and it's citizens.

It's no different than some of us preferring to wander a port with a guide book and other wanting someone to point out and extrapolate on what we're looking at, with the ability to then ask follow up questions, etc.

Exactly, we all have different expectations of what we want to do in port but none are the "right" way to do it. Just what's right for you. So if someone is interested in a tour, it's ok to mention it's easy to do on your own, but it frequently comes across as DIY is the "best" way.

This board has lots of DIY'ers, which is a huge help in trip planning. That said, tours work better for us the majority of the time, since we travel with 8 people, ages 12-72. Other folks are intimidated by the language gap. Some are just introverted and not keen on that much varied interaction with many different people. I'm sure there's a 100 additional reasons someone might prefer a tour.

Dh and I are doing a river cruise in a few weeks ( by ourselves!) and fully plan to just wander and explore. This time, that's what will be "right" for us.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up, we took a chance with this company, I can’t say enough good things about them. Michael the owner of the company actually led our tour of six and showed us a delightful time, ordering tapas and wines we normally might not have ordered, he was charming and we highly recommend using his company!

• 1 month later...

Campolady,

You are just so full of great info and on multiple threads, too!

We were in Malaga a few years ago and did an organized tapas tour. We will be there next year and want to do the same thing on our own. I did have them take us (there were only 5 of us total on the tour) to one of the biggest churros spots I ever saw. It was early and it seemed like the business was using other businesses all around them to handle all the people eating and drinking the Chocolate. Wonderful stuff. But by this simple description, can you guess where this place was? We left from the visitor's center and walked North (?) and a little west perhaps. I know it is not much to go on.

Thanks!