Bodo? Haugesund?

poss

An itinerary I'm looking at for next June/July (Regent Explorer) names these two ports. Regent fares include excursions, but there are no excursions offered (the only two ports where that's the case.)

I'm wondering what one "does" or "sees" for all the hours in port.

Thanks.

End of June/early July. Will be in port 8 hours. We like easy-moderate walking/hiking. And, yes, we like nature and wonderful scenery. I can't understand why Regent would spend so much time in those two ports if there's nothing much there. (I could ask them, but doubt I'd get any kind of real answer.)

Thanks for replying.

Here's the itinerary:

Copenhagen, Kristiansand, Bergen, sea-day, Harstad, Bodo, sea day, Alesund, Geiranger, Hellesyit, Flam, Haugesund, Gothenburg, Oslo.

I'm having a tough time choosing excursions for some of the ports. (Will do train in Flam of course.)

We have loved Regent for many, many years. It's hard for me to believe tat they'd choose ports that were uninteresting. I don't get it.

I've read about both these ports, and they don't seem very interesting at all. The ship is in port for 10 (!!!) hours in Bodo, and for 8 in Haugesund. And only 5 hours in Geiranger!!!!

I am seriously beginning to re-think this cruise (but I've put $$ into it already.)

Thanks for responding.

I've read about both these ports, and they don't seem very interesting at all. The ship is in port for 10 (!!!) hours in Bodo, and for 8 in Haugesund. And only 5 hours in Geiranger!!!!

I am seriously beginning to re-think this cruise (but I've put $$ into it already.)

Many itineraries have shorter port calls in Geiranger, because the sail-in and sail-out are the biggest draw, since you're traveling through the fjord itself. The town itself is quite small, so it's mostly just about getting up to some of the higher overlooks to see the fjord from a different perspective. Add in the fact that Hellesylt is typically the same day at the other end of the fjord, and you're looking at a fairly tight schedule. If you only want to do the fjord sailing one direction, most ships usually offer full-day overland tours between Geiranger and Hellesylt.

As for Bodø and Haugesund, they're definitely not the most popular destinations. I would expect them to visit to Tromsø instead of Bodø, but maybe the sailing time or port schedule stopped them from going that far north? I've hears some positive reports of taking RIB boat trips to the maelstrom but have yet to make the trip up there to check it out. I have a very good friend who headed to Haugesund to visit family, and I helped her look up things to do while she was there. The tourist website has a lot of options in the area, especially related to viking history, but I'm not sure what's feasible for a port day: https://en.visithaugesund.no/

• 3 months later...
Many itineraries have shorter port calls in Geiranger, because the sail-in and sail-out are the biggest draw, since you're traveling through the fjord itself. The town itself is quite small, so it's mostly just about getting up to some of the higher overlooks to see the fjord from a different perspective. Add in the fact that Hellesylt is typically the same day at the other end of the fjord, and you're looking at a fairly tight schedule. If you only want to do the fjord sailing one direction, most ships usually offer full-day overland tours between Geiranger and Hellesylt.

As for Bodø and Haugesund, they're definitely not the most popular destinations. I would expect them to visit to Tromsø instead of Bodø, but maybe the sailing time or port schedule stopped them from going that far north? I've hears some positive reports of taking RIB boat trips to the maelstrom but have yet to make the trip up there to check it out. I have a very good friend who headed to Haugesund to visit family, and I helped her look up things to do while she was there. The tourist website has a lot of options in the area, especially related to viking history, but I'm not sure what's feasible for a port day: https://en.visithaugesund.no/

We are doing a cruise in May and one of the ports we will visit in Haugesund. I am wondering what you did while you were there. There is nothing that really excites me particularly. I am not able to walk for more than an hour or so.

How did you spend your day there?