Rome Hotel, tour Company, transfer to ship

Gail & Marty sailing away

Can you give some idea of price range and location (e.g., center of things, near train station, away from the bustle) that you'd want for hotel suggestions?

Semi-private tours: Look at Dark Rome, Context Travel Rome (small groups of 6-8), and Rome Walks (Rick Steves recommended).

Transfers: Value priced: romashuttle.com (shared shuttle, I have used). More expensive but many recommendations on these boards: Rome Cabs, RomeInLimo

We (a family group of 6 adults) spent 5 days in Rome last month before embarking on a cruise. My DH and I lived in Rome for 5 years in the 1970s and 80s so it was almost like going home again. We stayed in a wonderful apartment arranged through VRBO so I can't give any hotel advice.

We used Rome Illuminated (http://www.romeilluminated.com/) for two tours that really needed guides: the Underground Rome (the catacombs, the Capuchin Church, and San Clemente that required transportation to get from one venue to the other) and St. Peter's and the Vatican. Our guides, including Evan the owner of the company for the Underground Tour, were personable and informative.

For our transportation from the airport to the apartment and from the apartment to the cruise port we used a company recommended by the apartment's owner: Roma Limousine Car Service (http://www.romalimousinecarservice.com/airportshuttle_en/). Service was excellent.

• 1 month later...

Artimede Hotel or Albergo del Senato, both wonderful hotels. Rome In Limo can provide tour and transfers. They have an extensive thread here from the many happy customers. We've used them on several trips and been very happy. Have a wonderful time!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We're also looking for Rome hotel recommendations and would like to spend around $250 for a hotel near restaurants, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, etc. We have been to Rome twice before but they were port stops. This time we are embarking in Civitavecchia and plan to spend two nights in Rome pre-cruise. I was also in Rome in 1970 and I stayed in a hotel near the Trevi Fountain recommended by "Arthur Frommer's Europe on $5 a Day." My budget has increased since then!

Thanks in advance

Have you thought of staying in an airbnb? We are staying in one in Rome before our cruise from Civatavecchia. The prices are comparable if not cheaper than a hotel and you can get an enitre apartment instead of being in just 1 room.

I looked around and found one that had great reviews and a very good price. There are so many out there.

For airbnb's, every place is different in price. Depends on where it is located in the city, how big it is, how many people it can sleep, etc... Definitely worth a look. You can do a search near a specific landmark (Trevi Fountain,, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Vatican) It all depends on how the person wants to charge. You can have 2 similar size apartments next to each other with big difference in prices. You need to really do your research. You can message the hosts questions.

One thing that i searched for was apartments with a washer/dryer. we will be in Venice/Rome for 5 days before the cruise. This way, we can do some laundry and not have to pack for 13 days but may be just 8-9. Possibly 1 less suitcase to have to bring.

I love dong research on trips. i would be happy to help find some nice places if you give me the criteria (dates, location, number of people, prices range).

I have been looking around at lodging in Rome as well. Has anyone ever stayed at a monastery or convent guest house? It seems slightly cheaper and might be interesting.

https://www.monasterystays.com/ They appear to be all over Italy in addition to thick on the ground in Rome.

I am trying to talk my husband into doing this transfer that has a little sightseeing along the way to port. http://www.romecabs.com/tours/precruise-rome-countryside-tour/

I have been looking around at lodging in Rome as well. Has anyone ever stayed at a monastery or convent guest house? It seems slightly cheaper and might be interesting.

https://www.monasterystays.com/ They appear to be all over Italy in addition to thick on the ground in Rome.

I am trying to talk my husband into doing this transfer that has a little sightseeing along the way to port. http://www.romecabs.com/tours/precruise-rome-countryside-tour/

It was a little difficult to understand from the description whether you are actually visiting the Castle or just doing a drive-by. If its just a drive-by, IMO, I wouldn't bother with the tour.

Hotels I can recommend from personal experience:

Near Termini: Hotel UNA (great breakfast, easy walk to train station w/luggage)

Near the Pantheon: Albergo del Senato (expensive); Albergo Santa Chiara

Between the Pantheon and Trevi: 9Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari)

Near the Forum and Colosseum: Hotel Nerva

Budget friendly in great location near Piazza Navona: Hotel Navona (very up to date, clean rooms but small-ish)

Regarding the tour during the transfer from Rome to port:

There is a 7 minute video on their site that shows the tourists wandering through the castle as well as what the hilltop village looks like.

Thanks to all for the hotel suggestions. I have been looking at each of them.

I have stayed at convents 3 times in Rome. It is the only place to stay for me, just something that I "have" to do despite not even being a catholic.

First and second times we stayed over the road from the vatican museum as I had been undergoing chemo treatment and knew hubby would want to spend a lot of time there. It meant he could comfortably cross the road, spend as long as he wanted and I was resting in our room. The room was sparse but very comfortable,spotless, ensuite, air con, tv. elevator, lounge but it wasn't ever used, a common kitchen with stove, fridge, vending machines. Very reasonable price thinking about 60 - 70 euro a double.

The 3rd time this last October we were only in Rome for one night post cruise as the flight to Munich was too early for us to feel comfortable about it. For this reason we stayed at a convent very close to termini as it was a 10 minute walk to get the shuttle to the airport the next morning. Another fantastic room, our own little balcony, ensuite, no air con , but continental breakfast, elevator, a fantastic rooftop area with amazing views of Rome.

I advise not to book through Monastry stays as they charge a lot more than you can independently book. Do your research and contact the convent direct. I saved about 20% by booking direct with the sisters.

If you are interested I will find the name for you of both places we stayed. The sooner you can book the better. Last trip they were booked out but I asked to be notified if any cancellations occured and within a couple of days I was advised of a room. It was 107 euro by memory for a triple.

We had a private shuttle for 5 from ship to convent and nearby hotel for 2 friends travelling with us. Total price was 150 euro. Excellent service, Antonio's son drove us and his English was excellent, he pointed out sites along the way. We felt very safe in his hands unlike many other European shuttle drivers we used during our 10 week trip. www.transferitalyrome.com/

Edited by Tara Jane

Tara Jane-

How did you research the convent guesthouses? Was there a different website you used?

I would be interested in knowing the name of the one near the Vatican because my husband too could look at art all day. What is the neighborhood like around it? We are are traveling with some folks who have not been to Rome before and I would like some atmospheric for them.

I am bookmarking the transfer company you recommend.

Our convent in Rome

Casa Paolo VI

I notice the website lists a few different convents

Piccole Suore Sacra Famiglia

Viale Vaticano, 92

I - 00165 ROMA

Tel. +39 06 3909141

Fax. +39 06 39091427

Email: info@casapaolosesto.it

www.ospitiamoconcuore.it

www.cesnaf.org

www.pssf.it

By memory we could only book 3 - 4 months ahead at this one but email and they will tell you when you can book. The sisters don't speak any english but it was so much fun managing to communicate with sign language and lots of smiles. A smile says it all !!!! They do have a young man who is in the office who does speak english and I assume he replies to the emails as they are always written with great english grammar. Sister Amelia is the " chief" if the place and boy does this little old hunched up lady know everything that goes on, she has eyes in the back of her head!!.

The area isn't anywhere as touristy as places like the trevi fountain, spanish steps etc but as our priority was to be near the Vatican we were very happy. No curfew either, we were given a key to come and go. The closest station is about 5 mins slow walk, but a bus stop is 1 minutes walk.

From the airport if there are 4 travelling I suggest a private PRE BOOKED shuttle. If you are going to get ripped off in Europe it will happen in Italy. We have just spent 10 weeks in Europe with some wonderful and some very unpleasant experiences with taxi drivers. Now we are making it our policy when in the major cities to pre book all transfers. To get to St peters from the convent its a good walk maybe 10 mins and you will be hastled by street vendors everywhere, but thats travel and any major city. There is a small cafe at the bus stop, bad reviews on trip advisor so I would find somewhere other than there to eat, even though it seems convenient. A supermarket is about 5 mins walk, buy some nibbles and wine and fruit and sit on the balcony out the back and soak in the atmosphere.

No other website, just lots and lots and lots of research to find the convents, however monastry stays is a good start to check location, facilities etc.

I appreciate the update.

For others interesting in this type of accommodation, I found these books on Amazon. They are a little out of date but it may get you started. The two books cover different parts of Europe. They haven't arrived yet so I cannot give a review. https://www.amazon.com/Convent-Monastery-Accommodation-Kingdom-Ireland/dp/1587680572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515076966&sr=8-1&keywords=good+night+god+bless+convent+stay

I have downloaded this onto my kindle https://www.amazon.com/Europes-Monastery-Convent-Guesthouses-Wright-ebook/dp/B0041OSC92/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Hotels I can recommend from personal experience:

Near Termini: Hotel UNA (great breakfast, easy walk to train station w/luggage)

Near the Pantheon: Albergo del Senato (expensive); Albergo Santa Chiara

Between the Pantheon and Trevi: 9Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari)

Near the Forum and Colosseum: Hotel Nerva

Budget friendly in great location near Piazza Navona: Hotel Navona (very up to date, clean rooms but small-ish)

Thank you - we plan on staying at the 9Hotel Cesari for 3 days pre cruise. I thought the location looked great.

Joe Banana Limos do excellent Italy tours and also transfers. I have used them a lot for tours. We last used them in July for Rome. Email them, maybe if you use them for transfer and a tour, you may get a discount. I know if you sign up for 3 tours you can so worth a try. Enjoy your trip!