Bergen Hotel suggestions?

We'll be spending a couple of nights in Bergen prior to our Hurtigruten cruise, and then one night after (flight leaves too early for same day departure).

This will be in early March, next year.

Does anyone have specific suggestions for whatever might be a nice hotel, one not far from <wherever one wants to be :) >, as walking long distances is sometimes difficult.

An elevator is important, if at all possible. (Otherwise, only one flight of stairs to rooms.)

A nice view would also be nice, if that doesn't conflict with "location for convenience".

Are there taxis easily available to get around town if necessary?

Any good tour guide recommendations? (Vehicle, not walking tour, although limited walking is fine. As long as it's a private tour, we don't have to worry about holding up others if we need to rest, etc.)

This is our first trip to Norway. We'll be spending several nights in Oslo first, and then taking the train to Bergen... we understand it's beautiful scenery.

Also... are baggage transfer services between Oslo and Bergen still available?

Many thanks!

GC

Grand Hotel Terminus i where I stayed on a similar trip - it's right by Bergen railway station, which is very handy after a long train ride. Whether it's near enough the city centre, you'll need to look on a map to find out - it's just the other side of the town centre lake from the main centre. The hotel does have a lift.

Grand Hotel Terminus i where I stayed on a similar trip - it's right by Bergen railway station, which is very handy after a long train ride. Whether it's near enough the city centre, you'll need to look on a map to find out - it's just the other side of the town centre lake from the main centre. The hotel does have a lift.

Thanks.

I think we'd rather have the hotel as close to mid-center (wherever we are likely to spend most time in general) for our stay, rather than focus on the proximity to the station for our initial arrival.

Are taxis relatively easy to find throughout town?

GC

• 2 weeks later...

If in cityncebter nomneed fir taxi,s. I never seen one and I walk everywhere. For what you need look at. radison blu .i think thst the name. I walk by it every time I am in Bergen. There are others with lifts too.

We spent a night in the Clarion Collection Havnekontoret and loved it. We found the location convenient - right at a bus stop for the airport bus, at the end of Bryggen (DH has mobility limitations and could easily walk 'everywhere') - good breakfast, waffles in the afternoon, light dinner included in the price, very friendly staff. We had a lovely harbour view though unfortunately the window was a bit small). Generally one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. They definitely had an elevator... I can't remember them having one but I am sure I would remember if they didn't. It is somewhat pricey though.

For next year we have booked the Scandic Byparken and the Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz. It may sound ridiculous but... we mostly booked for the breakfast. Both were nominated for the "Twinings best breakfast 2017", the Rosenkrantz came in third, the Byparken chef received a special prize for his commitment. I love breakfast :o

Hotel Rosenkrantz is right behind Bryggen and close to the Floyen furnicular as well as the airport bus (we are flying back from Bergen), Hotel Byparken is close enought to the train station for our needs (less than half a mile) but depending on the weather we will just get a taxi.

For location only you might want to look into the Scandic Strand, which is right off Torget (Fishmarket) or the First Hotel Marin. The Radisson Blu is at the same cul de sac the Hotel Havnekontoret is at. Those and the Clarion Hotel Admiral were the ones we looked at.

I cannot recommend tour guides or say anything about taxis, we are more into public transport and take breaks when walking gets too much.

Luggage / porter service from Oslo to Bergen should still be available. That's something we are also considering.

We spent a night in the Clarion Collection Havnekontoret and loved it. We found the location convenient - right at a bus stop for the airport bus, at the end of Bryggen (DH has mobility limitations and could easily walk 'everywhere') - good breakfast, waffles in the afternoon, light dinner included in the price, very friendly staff. We had a lovely harbour view though unfortunately the window was a bit small). Generally one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. They definitely had an elevator... I can't remember them having one but I am sure I would remember if they didn't. It is somewhat pricey though.

For next year we have booked the Scandic Byparken and the Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz. It may sound ridiculous but... we mostly booked for the breakfast. Both were nominated for the "Twinings best breakfast 2017", the Rosenkrantz came in third, the Byparken chef received a special prize for his commitment. I love breakfast :o

Hotel Rosenkrantz is right behind Bryggen and close to the Floyen furnicular as well as the airport bus (we are flying back from Bergen), Hotel Byparken is close enought to the train station for our needs (less than half a mile) but depending on the weather we will just get a taxi.

For location only you might want to look into the Scandic Strand, which is right off Torget (Fishmarket) or the First Hotel Marin. The Radisson Blu is at the same cul de sac the Hotel Havnekontoret is at. Those and the Clarion Hotel Admiral were the ones we looked at.

I cannot recommend tour guides or say anything about taxis, we are more into public transport and take breaks when walking gets too much.

Luggage / porter service from Oslo to Bergen should still be available. That's something we are also considering.

Thanks!

Good timing, as we are about to reserve a few nights at the Havnekontoret :)

Haven't decided yet if we'll spend the one Bergen night after the cruise there or elsewhere.

Part of the decision, a good part, was to have a view. (Good to know windows might be small, so we know what to expect.)

(We considered the Thon Rosenkranz for several reasons, but ended up prioritizing the location/view.)

Our hotel in Oslo can help with the luggage transfer if we have any difficulty taking care of that. We'll be there for a few days, too, before taking that train to Bergen.

I've got a note in my calendar a few days before train reservations open in a few weeks.

We almost always use private guides, for a variety of reasons, but in part so that we can rest as needed, without inconveniencing others or falling behind :(

We've had really good luck using TripAdvisor, and some back and forth emails with private guides, to make sure they understand our interests (and we understand what they tend to "offer").

I'm the one "slowing down" a bit, but when there is something special to see/do that I don't think I'll be able to do, then finally (!), DH is willing to go off without me so that at least one of us can enjoy <whatever> :)

I never mind sitting in some new place, be it a city bench or a bench inside a cathedral or a nice rock part way along a nice walk. It's all new and exciting!

We've found CruiseCritic to be an amazing resource, including finding tour guides (we found the best ever here, rather than on TripAdvisor, and we were fortunate to be back there [st Lucia] again, and spent another phenomenal day).

We even learned here about Travel Insurance (now know a LOT more), and we got it for DH's first cruise (a big celebration, so $$$)... and with less than 2 weeks to go, he had a medical emergency! While all of our travel for a couple of months was to/from medical visits, it was so nice to know that we wouldn't have to "pay again" to take the trip later.

We really feel indebted to everyone, so Thanks to all, in many ways...

GC