a taxi tour from the port

suec12

I am just looking for personal experiences that cruisers have had with hiring a taxi driver when they arrive in port to do a tour. I have never done this - either done a ship tour (rarely) or gone on my own. Specific destinations and prices would be appreciated. Two places I am considering doing this are Corfu and Kusadasi (not going to Ephesus). I am a little wary of doing this as I have had a few bad experiences with taxi drivers but maybe if some of my fellow cruisers have had good experiences, I will give it a try.

Another option you might consider in Corfu in renting a car. We did that for the day last year, and had a fantastic day out. The roads are easy to drive on, well signed, and the people generally speak English and are very helpful.

We never use the cruise line tours ... always find drivers / guides on the pier and have always had god experiences. Another option - if your cruise is far enough in the future - is to research drivers / guides on these boards under the "Ports-of-Call". Read about others experiences ... contact the ones that are recommended and pre-arrange your day. We have done that in many ports and the drivers have always been waiting (sign in hand) for us on the dock.

We've engaged taxi drivers at the pier many times, and it has always worked out well.

In Corfu, we walked into town, did a self-guided historical walking tour, and took the narrated trolley to some places that were too far to walk. Great day.

Using Cruise Critic Boards as a reference, we booked private drivers in many of our ports on our May 2009 cruise. We assumed that these recommendations would help us avoid kidnappers, serial killers, etc:>) All were a wealth of contemporary cultural information, distinctive personalities, and professional business men. We had done much research and had communicated our prospective itineraries via the internet, but also asked for their input regarding any POI's we may have missed. If you're looking for more detailed historical information or planning to audition for Jeopardy, you may want to go with a registered tour guide; however, we were satisfied with the historical information provided in our guide books and the internet. Cost per hour was $40 to $50; a real bargain, considering all we were able to do.

By taking this route, we felt we were better able to sample the local culture of each port. For example in Corfu, we visited Lakones and other mountain villages resplendent in native wildflowers; saw olive groves and learned about the harvesting and pressing process; bought wine (think screw cap and no label), almonds, and baklava from a local mom and pop roadside stand; witnessed prepartions for a Greek wedding; visited and toured Achilleon and Mon Repo palaces and Paleo beach; enjoyed a delicious gelato and then were dropped in Corfu town for shopping. This particular driver, whose hobby was photography, even "assissted" us in securing the best shots anytime we stop or slowed for pictures. When my sister asked if anyone had ever found him to be controlling, he answered "just my first wife." Nevertheless, his familiarity with the area allowed us to avoid the tour bus crowds and provided some terrific memories. The next day, we gradually returned to be being able to compose our photographs with no help :>)

If you're looking for a custom-tailored vacation and willing to do the research, this is the way to go! Enjoy!

By the way, we found the non-label wine to be some of the best we encountered on our cruise; although the butler was a littled disturbed by it!:>)

Using Cruise Critic Boards as a reference, we booked private drivers in many of our ports on our May 2009 cruise. We assumed that these recommendations would help us avoid kidnappers, serial killers, etc:>) All were a wealth of contemporary cultural information, distinctive personalities, and professional business men. We had done much research and had communicated our prospective itineraries via the internet, but also asked for their input regarding any POI's we may have missed. If you're looking for more detailed historical information or planning to audition for Jeopardy, you may want to go with a registered tour guide; however, we were satisfied with the historical information provided in our guide books and the internet. Cost per hour was $40 to $50; a real bargain, considering all we were able to do.

By taking this route, we felt we were better able to sample the local culture of each port. For example in Corfu, we visited Lakones and other mountain villages resplendent in native wildflowers; saw olive groves and learned about the harvesting and pressing process; bought wine (think screw cap and no label), almonds, and baklava from a local mom and pop roadside stand; witnessed prepartions for a Greek wedding; visited and toured Achilleon and Mon Repo palaces and Paleo beach; enjoyed a delicious gelato and then were dropped in Corfu town for shopping. This particular driver, whose hobby was photography, even "assissted" us in securing the best shots anytime we stop or slowed for pictures. When my sister asked if anyone had ever found him to be controlling, he answered "just my first wife." Nevertheless, his familiarity with the area allowed us to avoid the tour bus crowds and provided some terrific memories. The next day, we gradually returned to be being able to compose our photographs with no help :>)

If you're looking for a custom-tailored vacation and willing to do the research, this is the way to go! Enjoy!

By the way, we found the non-label wine to be some of the best we encountered on our cruise; although the butler was a littled disturbed by it!:>)

While I cannot speak from personal experience in Corfu, there were some folks on our recent (July 2009) Med. cruise who hired a taxi driver from the pier and said they had a wonderful day. He took them to Lakones, and another small mountain village, took them to see olive groves and to a local place for a delicious lunch. Then they were taken down to a very small quiet beach for a short time. They raved about their day.

I have hired taxi drivers at the pier in Haifa, Israel and Kusadasi, also in St. Thomas, these times, as well as when I have arranged for drivers via research on these boards and the internet, have turned out to be the most memorable of experiences.

Hello Glenda?! I enjoyed your post on your day on Corfu - we were on that cruise together, yes? And I looked at your posts and see you have booked another cruise next spring? I have made a reservation for a fall 2010 trip - Istanbul to Athens, this time with my husband. I don't think there is a roll call for that itinerary yet, well it is over a year out! Do you have any cruisers from the May 2009 trip on board with you? You don't have so long to wait for your next O escape!

Hi Sue:

Yes, we were on your cruise in May. We loved the itinerary, and apparently you did also. Your husband is lucky to have an experienced tour guide. It should be interesting to contrast the seasons in each of the ports.

To my knowledge, none of our fellow cruisers are on our upcoming spring itinerary.

Enjoy your cruise!

Glenda

• 1 month later...

To GJH123

Can you list the name and contact info of the tour guide you used in Corfu? (or send me an email - joann@speicher.org)?? It may be too late to book him but I'd like to try. How many people can he take?? Thanks for any info!

JMS

I agree with what was said about renting a car in Corfu. We picked up a car at the pier, and it was an enjoyable and easy drive to tour Mon Repos Palace and Achillion Palace.

Thanks everyone for all the great information. We too usually book a local driver as we get off the ship and have always had a wonderful experience...lucky maybe. I do have a question though...we've never rented a car in Europe, but sounds like it might be fun in Corfu. Is it a lot more complicated than renting a car in the U.S.? Any special license or insurance needed? Special documentation? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I am just looking for personal experiences that cruisers have had with hiring a taxi driver when they arrive in port to do a tour. I have never done this - either done a ship tour (rarely) or gone on my own. Specific destinations and prices would be appreciated. Two places I am considering doing this are Corfu and Kusadasi (not going to Ephesus). I am a little wary of doing this as I have had a few bad experiences with taxi drivers but maybe if some of my fellow cruisers have had good experiences, I will give it a try.

We did this in May 2006 off the HAL Rotterdam. We were going to rent a car (but hadn't reserved one), which I think would have worked out fine, but the ship docked from like 7 to 5 pm, we got off early and the rental agencies didn't open until 9. I was too antsy to wait around, so we started talking to a few taxi drivers, and ended up negotiating a 5 hour trip for about $80. We stopped at several beautiful overlooks, a nice beach, and toured the Achillion palace. Our driver was informative and professional. He dropped us in Corfu town about 1 PM, we spent about 90 minutes walking around, then DW took the HAL shuttle back to the port while I walked (20-30 minutes from center of town)

All in all a very pleasant day.

We did this in May 2006 off the HAL Rotterdam. We were going to rent a car (but hadn't reserved one), which I think would have worked out fine, but the ship docked from like 7 to 5 pm, we got off early and the rental agencies didn't open until 9. I was too antsy to wait around, so we started talking to a few taxi drivers, and ended up negotiating a 5 hour trip for about $80. We stopped at several beautiful overlooks, a nice beach, and toured the Achillion palace. Our driver was informative and professional. He dropped us in Corfu town about 1 PM, we spent about 90 minutes walking around, then DW took the HAL shuttle back to the port while I walked (20-30 minutes from center of town)

Wow - sounds like you negotiated a great rate! Will have to consider that...thanks for the info.

Wow, with the Corfu taxi cabal now charging a firm 10 Euros just to drive to and from the dock to the Old Town, you got quite a bargain there!

wrote in part........... Two places I am considering doing this are Corfu and Kusadasi (not going to Ephesus).

For Corfu email Domitrius at the email address below, he seems to run the taxis in Corfu dock area and also arranges tours with taxi drivers. If you contact him in advance he will have the car waiting for you ( with your name on sign at the dock area)..

taxi116@in.gr

and website is this

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/corfu_privatetours_shoreexcursions.htm

for Kusadasi email Levent Solmaz who does great private tours. His email address is;

info@leventsolmaz.com

Archived