Mayan ruins...which is your favorite?

I realize this is a very subjective question that I am about to ask. For folks who have seen any/all of the following Mayan Ruins sites, which one would you recommend, if you could visit only one: In Belize: Xunantunich or Altun Ha. In Costa Maya: Chacchoban or Kohunlich. Finally, if you could only pick one of the four, which do you recommend? Thanks!

My first choice would be Xanantunich in Belize, or Lamanai if your cruise has that excursion. Both are large excavations with several structures unearthed and revealed. Altun Ha has to be my least favorite, poorly patched up, tiny, and with little historical significance, followed by the 2 in Costa Maya, as they are tiny sites also. The poster who cited Chichen Itza identified the top Mayan ruin site in the Yucatan area, but it can be hard to get there during a Cozumel port stop. Might be better to try Chichen Itza from Progresso, or better yet, while on a land vacation in Playa del Carmen or Cancun.

I've also enjoyed visiting Tulum, Coba, and El Balam and would recommend any of these 3 sites as well. Google each name, and see what each site has to offer, how far from the port the site is, and what you can and can't do at each site - there are some restrictions on access and climbing pyramids.

Thanks for the responses. I have looked at Lamanai since my original post. I didn't see it at first on my ships list of excursions. Looks very interesting. I have been to Tulum, but it's just so far to get there on this particular cruise.

I look forward to hearing other opinions/insights. Thanks, again!

I prefer Xuantunich over Lamani. Altun Ha is pitiful compared to Xuantunich or Lamani. If you get the chance to cruise to Progresso do go to Uxmal. It is a magnificent site and I prefer it to Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza would be amazing if not so commercialized. You can hardly see the smaller temples for all the stands selling trinkets. I also liked Dzibchaltun and you can swim in the cenote there.

If you are sick of the beach or shopping in Cozumel then visit San Gervasio. It is a nice compact site. We went on a Sunday morning while spending a week on the island and had the place to ourselves.

If you are sick of the beach or shopping in Cozumel then visit San Gervasio. It is a nice compact site. We went on a Sunday morning while spending a week on the island and had the place to ourselves.

Great little site with a look at something a little different than the mega pyramid sites..

bosco

Just did Lumanai a few weeks ago and cannot say enough good things about it. We booked through the cruise line due to the long travel time. It is one of the very few excursions offered by the cruise line to have a perfect five star review. Amazing temples, beautiful grounds and the guides could not have been better. The speedboat trip up the river was a great plus as well and the included lunch was terrific!

I agree with the others about Chichen Itza. Its easily the best I've seen. But also, I see it's not an option of yours.

In Costa Maya, is there an option for Kohunlich that includes Dzibanche? If so, I would choose that option.

bump
As you seem anxious for replies though you had some pretty good information already, you might try posting this on the Ports of Call board where this thread would be quite appropriate.

I see that you're new to Cruise Critic but it might be good if you reread the Guidelines from when you first signed up. You can see the part on bumping through the Guidelines linked in the pale blue bar near the top of the page above the thread title.

In Costa Maya, is there an option for Kohunlich that includes Dzibanche? If so, I would choose that option.

When I sailed on Vision last year, this was an option that my friend and I booked and it was easily the best Mayan ruin tour we've done. (Out of hose two, Coba, Chichen Itza (overrated!), and uh Altun)

And for the person asking, Itza is offered from Cozumel and requires an extremely fun ferry from the island to Mainland Mexico!

We have been to 3 Mayan Ruins in Mexico .

We rated them as such:

(1) Chitzen Itza - the most spectacular with a long ride to get there.

(2) Chacchoban - not a bad ride from Costa Maya , a few buildings including a pyramid .

(3) Tulum - boat & bus to get there from Cozumel , good assortment of buildings , on the ocean .

Yeah, they stopped letting people climb after a women slipped and fell to her death on it around 2006.

All the other sites I've visited you can still climb, Coba I believe being the tallest you can still go up. Something like 120 feet. (And it was a pretty spectacular experience, doing it in the rain)