Need help on the Grandeur.

So what is the real story on the Grandeur has it been re-habed this year or not . I was on this ship about 12 years ago it was not great , but I like the ports and the ten day part .Thanks if you can help.

Since Grandeur is 21 years old, she will go for drydocking/shipyard (though not necessarily a major refurbishment of the hotel) every 2.5 years.

Thanks for that update - good to know.

We were on her maiden voyage in December of '96 - so technically she won't celebrate her 21st until this December. :D;) But as always your information is very helpful!

I'm on her now. First time was 2014/2015 NYE. Back then, they added some signage and made significant changes to the Viking Crown lounge. Main thing was they added Izumis and the diamond lounge which cut the lounge essentially in half.

I was on her in February and now. No visual changes from the May drydock. I was told back in Feb that much of what is done is internal and refreshment of the existing amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what is the real story on the Grandeur has it been re-habed this year or not . I was on this ship about 12 years ago it was not great , but I like the ports and the ten day part .Thanks if you can help.

We like the ship, (small, close to us, good deals sometime) , the ports they go to usually are terrible to us when they go south.

PS: the food in the MDR has been brutal the last few times we went. We are going again on the Grandeur in August, go figure!

It has a great Diamond lounge with hot appetizers and free drinks and good company. We enjoy that, so I guess that is why we keep going back.

I'm on her now. First time was 2014/2015 NYE. Back then, they added some signage and made significant changes to the Viking Crown lounge. Main thing was they added Izumis and the diamond lounge which cut the lounge essentially in half.

I was on her in February and now. No visual changes from the May drydock. I was told back in Feb that much of what is done is internal and refreshment of the existing amenities.

Sorry your confused, the Concierge Lounge not the Diamond Lounge. :(

We like the ship, (small, close to us, good deals sometime) , the ports they go to usually are terrible to us when they go south.

PS: the food in the MDR has been brutal the last few times we went. We are going again on the Grandeur in August, go figure!

It has a great Diamond lounge with hot appetizers and free drinks and good company. We enjoy that, so I guess that is why we keep going back.

Guess that's why food is so subjective. Our last few cruises on Grandeur and the food has been fine:D...

Another new thing that seems to be popping up is that they offer beef at only two temperatures. Medium rare and medium well, however, they seem to cook to order when we ask for our steaks rare. The one we got last night is downright blue. I seriously doubt that would come close to pass as medium rare, so they had to have cooked it to order.

• 4 weeks later...
Main thing was they added Izumis and the diamond lounge which cut the lounge essentially in half.

It is not the Diamond Lounge, it is the Concierge Lounge. Suite guests (not Jr Suites) and Diamond Plus and above.

My H and I loved the Grandeur. We have also been on Explorer, Serenade, and Anthem. As well as several other lines. I felt the staff was so warm and friendly. The ship was the perfect size for getting around and loved the MDR. I would go again in a heartbeat. I would not take my teenage kids on Grandeur but for us parents...loved it.

Generally speaking, the crew is awesome on smaller ships...and it's more of a "cruise" experience, rather than a floating resort. Really depends on what you want from your vacation. If you want ACTION all the time...it might not be for you. If you want "time off" and some relaxation, and some shows, decent enough food...and different scenery daily...go for it!

We were just on the Grandeur for the Canada & New England on July 27th. and really loved the ports and the ship in general. Arranged a private tour driver for our group of 4 in Boston (an amazing private tour), rented a car for Halifax, and just loved each port and the views each day. Saw 3 or 4 whales, hundred or more dolphins, couple of Bald Eagles, and a few REALLY large sharks. Had amazing weather and some of the calmest seas we have ever had on any of our cruises.

After 15 cruises across various cruise lines, I would have to say the MDR food was a big disappointment. We ate in specialty restaurants 7 out of 10 nights. Food at the specialty restaurants was very good, but not exceptional, and disappointed us that we had to pay $150+ each to get meals that we should have been able to enjoy for free. We did the lobster lunch all you can eat buffet, with lobster tails, filet, caviar, salmon and lots more (great value and worth the extra money), and the all you can drink Champagne brunch (nothing special and honestly a waste of money except it does include a brief tour of the kitchen). We also did the sushi making class and it was one of the best experiences of the cruise. You actually can learn enough to make sushi when you get home (we have done it twice since the cruise). The MDR staff was very good, but service cannot make up for the disappointing food.

Not trying to bash the kitchen, but all 10 of our tablemates, had the same disappointments and many nights all of the couples at our table dined seperatly at either the specialty restaurants or the buffet as we would find out when we ran into them throughout the ship or at shore.

Overall we had a great time, the deluxe drink package was amazing and the bartenders and servers never gave us a hassle and drinks flowed apleanty. Starbucks was great, but freezer for ben and jerrys was broke and left them with crystalized ice cream for a few days when they finally got it fixed.

Amazing job getting onto the ship and leaving the ship. So much better organized, and much faster than Carnival out of the same port. A major vote here for RCI.

Crew did a good job, we would definatly return as the port of Baltimore is very convienient, but we would plan extra cash for the specialty restaurants, and just avoid the disappointment in the MDR.