2 days in Civitavecchia in between 2 cruises

Gail & Marty sailing away

I've read conflicting things about left luggage at the port, the web site says it exists yet I've read reports from visitors that it's not open yet, so I don't know if that's an option.

I just checked the web site, they acknowledge that the one inside the port isn't open but offer several alternatives: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/luggage-storage-tourists-port-civitavecchia

Would you be open to storing your bags and staying elsewhere, or would you rather hunker down in Civitavecchia and do a day trip or two?

I've read conflicting things about left luggage at the port, the web site says it exists yet I've read reports from visitors that it's not open yet, so I don't know if that's an option.

I just checked the web site, they acknowledge that the one inside the port isn't open but offer several alternatives: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/luggage-storage-tourists-port-civitavecchia

Would you be open to storing your bags and staying elsewhere, or would you rather hunker down in Civitavecchia and do a day trip or two?

Hunker down would be our choice

Well, the easiest place to get to using public transit (other than Rome) would probably be Tarquinia, where there are some great Etruscan ruins and a museum.

Slightly less easy to get to, but still quite possible as a day trip is Ostia Antica.

If you're more adventurous you can get to Tivoli for the day, it really can't be done within the confines of a port day but since you won't have a "hard" return time you can do it by train.

Another option in the area, if it's a nice day, would be Lake Bracciano. You can't walk around the entire lake (even if there was a path it would be too big) but there are sections where you can take a nice walk along the waterfront. There's also a castle and museum to visit there, so that might make for a nice day with a long, leisurely lunch on the waterfront.

If you don't want to go into Rome, then staying put in Civitavecchia (particularly given your comment about luggage :')) seems to make the most sense.

I wholeheartedly recommend going to Tarquinia -- both to the site outside the town with the lovely painted Etruscan tombs and also the charming town itself. In town, don't miss the museum, and especially the terra cotta horses.

Nearer Lake Bracciano is another site of Etruscan tombs -- Cerveteri. These aren't painted but are more like a "ghost town" of above-ground tombs. Very picturesque.

Also, if you wanted to look into getting a driver, many people enjoy a visit to Orvieto, a lovely hill town and possibly also adding Civita di Bagnoregio -- although I confess that I visited it years ago and now understand it can be completely overrun with tourists.

Other than its proximity to the port, Civitavecchia itself doesn't have much to recommend it.

I just happened to see a rerun of Everybody loves Raymond this morning, the one where the entire family goes to Italy. As I was watching it I realized that it was filmed at Lake Bracciano, in the town of Anguillara Sabazia about five or six miles from the castle in Bracciano. Really beautiful.

If you enjoy food and wine there is a good food and wine pairing dinner. Riscoli Remessa was great! Basílica Di San Climente (Saint Clement) is really cool 11th century church, over a 3rd century church dedicated to Saint Jerome and that is over 1st century Roman ruins. We enjoyed walking there and it is self guided. We also did a bike ride on the appian way which was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you don't want to go into Rome, then staying put in Civitavecchia (particularly given your comment about luggage :')) seems to make the most sense.

I wholeheartedly recommend going to Tarquinia -- both to the site outside the town with the lovely painted Etruscan tombs and also the charming town itself. In town, don't miss the museum, and especially the terra cotta horses.

Nearer Lake Bracciano is another site of Etruscan tombs -- Cerveteri. These aren't painted but are more like a "ghost town" of above-ground tombs. Very picturesque.

Also, if you wanted to look into getting a driver, many people enjoy a visit to Orvieto, a lovely hill town and possibly also adding Civita di Bagnoregio -- although I confess that I visited it years ago and now understand it can be completely overrun with tourists.

Other than its proximity to the port, Civitavecchia itself doesn't have much to recommend it.

I vote going to Tarquinia - it is really easy to get to by train from Civitavecchia. I have not done any of Mom's other suggestions but they sound good. It won't be as tiring as doing a port stop because you have not got the same sense of urgency "not missing sailaway"