moorings - LONDON TO STOCKHOLEM 17 JUNE

manc

Looking for some help regarding Euston to Greenwich.

We arrive at Euston at 11:30 on the 17th June and are looking for advice on getting to Greenwich. We normally use the tube as we would only have small overnight case, but in this instance we will have 2 suitcases plus a small cabin case. We were planning to get a cab, but various people have said Sunday morning, just use the tube. Is it doable with cases, and can we get an Uber from Euston if we decide a taxi is best!

Personally I would Uber it. The trouble is you have to go to Bank and then get the DLR. Looking at the TFL information you are going to be juggling cases on escalators so it all depends how confident you are doing that

We will be disembarking at Greenwich in June and are meeting some Australian friends who will be embarking on the same day. Our plan is to meet for brunch and it would be so convenient if we could do it close to the pier in Greenwich

1 Are there any left luggage facilities at or near the pier in Greenwich?

2 Are there any good places for brunch in the vicinity?

We will be disembarking at Greenwich in June and are meeting some Australian friends who will be embarking on the same day. Our plan is to meet for brunch and it would be so convenient if we could do it close to the pier in Greenwich

2 Are there any good places for brunch in the vicinity?

I am still to research the local food venues, it is a Sunday so there should be some good old English Roast dinners being offered in pubs in the area. Alternatively head down to the Intercontinental at the O2 for their brunch with bottomless cocktails - you will need a cab for this but that might avoid luggage storage issues

There are no luggage facilities - actually there is not really a pier more a pontoon. Check in is often done in one of the buildings adjacent to the Naval Academy. I have read some cruises do the turn around using a marquee by the Thames

I am still to research the local food venues, it is a Sunday so there should be some good old English Roast dinners being offered in pubs in the area. Alternatively head down to the Intercontinental at the O2 for their brunch with bottomless cocktails - you will need a cab for this but that might avoid luggage storage issues

There are no luggage facilities - actually there is not really a pier more a pontoon. Check in is often done in one of the buildings adjacent to the Naval Academy. I have read some cruises do the turn around using a marquee by the Thames

Narrow Street, over the river, try Grapes pub (owned by Sir ian McKellen). Very Dickensian. Or La Figa Italian or The Narrow (owned by Gordon Ramsay, but maybe a bit overhyped because of it). If you love steak then Gauchos Argentinian in Canary Wharf I really like too. You can get over there on the Thames Clipper.

Phil

Personally I would Uber it. The trouble is you have to go to Bank and then get the DLR. Looking at the TFL information you are going to be juggling cases on escalators so it all depends how confident you are doing that

uktog, thank you for that, I am not terribly confident about the tube with cases! My husband is convinced we can do it, however I do think an Uber would be best. Can anyone give us any idea how long it could take in a taxi?

Narrow Street, over the river, try Grapes pub (owned by Sir ian McKellen). Very Dickensian. Or La Figa Italian or The Narrow (owned by Gordon Ramsay, but maybe a bit overhyped because of it). If you love steak then Gauchos Argentinian in Canary Wharf I really like too. You can get over there on the Thames Clipper.

Phil

I love The Grapes. Might go there Saturday night as I’m not a Ramsay fan at all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Phil

Phil

Are you saying that after we tender we get in the Clipper to go to any of these restaurants, I have only been to Greenwich once. But it also was not a turn around day,.

There are loads of restaurants in Greenwich - most of them are chains like Jamie's Italian, Buenos Aires Cafe (great steaks), Bills, Pizza Express, Noodle Bars etc etc. Also Greenwich market has loads of Ethnic food stalls if you are there at the weekend. The Rivington in the Town Centre is good. If you want a good pub meal in an authentic London Pub try "The Plume of Feathers". It is in Park Vista (road name) just near to one of the entrances to the wonderful Royal Greenwich Park so a five minute walk. Not too many tourists lots of locals plus good food.

Other alternative grab an Uber and go to Blackheath - just up the hill. Good selection of restaurants there including a new Ivy Cafe which is open all day for brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and Dinner. They are owned by the group that run the famous Ivy in London's West End.

Actually the best Afternoon Tea in Greenwich is in the Orangery at the quirky Fan Museum in a wonderful house near the Theatre. Its open Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 12.30 - 4.00.

I am a great fan of the Clipper but you can easily stay local if you prefer.

I thought I would let you know that I have found a left luggage facility in Greenwich which may prove to be very useful for some of you who wish to see more of Greenwich either before or after your cruise.

http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/tourist-information-centre/

I will be making use of this next month and have booked The Plume and feathers for lunch with our Aussie friends. Many thanks again for all the great information and safe and happy travelling to you all

Chris

Great news about the left luggage facility in the Visitor Centre - I had no idea ! I guess I should make a visit there next week to update myself. Enjoy The Plume and of course all the other delights of Greenwich. By the way when we first bought out place there I enquired about local pubs having heard about the Plume and the Adviser at the Visitor Centre said "shush we don't want to tell everyone". Hilarious.

That sounds ideal, thank you. Can you point me in the right direction of how to find one of these firms or what to google to find it?

Hello

We are disembarking from Journey on 17th and I've just arranged for transport to Heathrow from Blackberry Cars. They seem reasonable and had good reviews on CC forums. You want to contact them directly by email: bookings@blackberrycars.com. Good luck & enjoy your cruise!

Didi

Luggage can be left in the Cloakroom at the National Maritime Museum (about a 5 minutes walk from the pier). Cost is £1 per item. Hours are from 10am - 5pm daily.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/plan-your-visit/facilities-access

Yes once ashore if you want a restaurant on the Canary Wharf side you’d need to use the Clipper

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Ann

I will be there late summer and mainly go out to eat. We arrive late afternoon and I like to just enjoy a local before I go to London.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for Bonnie (or whomever monitors this thread from Azamara)...

I noticed that the recent itinerary time changes for this cruise have been updated on the website EXCEPT for St. Petersburg - it is still showing a 6:00 pm departure on June 27!

Has our departure time gone back to the originally scheduled time (6:00 pm) or is it still being changed to 5:00 pm?

Thank you for confirming this information.

Jean

Looking for some help regarding Euston to Greenwich.

We arrive at Euston at 11:30 on the 17th June and are looking for advice on getting to Greenwich. We normally use the tube as we would only have small overnight case, but in this instance we will have 2 suitcases plus a small cabin case. We were planning to get a cab, but various people have said Sunday morning, just use the tube. Is it doable with cases, and can we get an Uber from Euston if we decide a taxi is best!

Hi

We are doing the same as coming down from Preston station but get in around 12:45.

I posted a similar question on trip advisor https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k11642681-Euston_to_Greenwich_with_luggage-London_England.html#92546509

and on the back of the recommendations I have booked a pickup from Euston for £35 with Greenwich Cabs. Obviously have yet to use them but this seemed the easiest option.

There were some good recommendations on Tripadvisor about public transport options which I will keep with me should anything go wrong on the day.

Hi

We are doing the same as coming down from Preston station but get in around 12:45.

I posted a similar question on trip advisor https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k11642681-Euston_to_Greenwich_with_luggage-London_England.html#92546509

and on the back of the recommendations I have booked a pickup from Euston for £35 with Greenwich Cabs. Obviously have yet to use them but this seemed the easiest option.

There were some good recommendations on Tripadvisor about public transport options which I will keep with me should anything go wrong on the day.

Hi, I did some research on Trip Advisor as well and we eventually booked with Addison Lee for a similar price to yourselves. It is definitely the easiest option but my DH was very keen on doing it on the tube and DLR, as he used the tube network extensively when he was working. I couldn’t face the thought of cases on the underground, so I won the day!

I think he may now be glad, as we ordered a new set of suitcases from Costco, at a very good price for Antler, however the large is indeed large, I think I could fit a body in it!! 😱

I think you are very wise to take a cab. Definitely the best and least stressful option - they may well take you over Tower Bridge - so you will get to go over it , even though you missed out on the original Tower Bridge embarkation.