Currency in Prague

tedly1960

Good day all,

Just about a month away from our Avalon Budapest to Prague River Cruise. Looking like we will have to balance 3 different currencies, Hungarian Forint, Czech Koruna and Euros. I have heard that euros are accepted in Czech. Widely accepted, not widely accepted or not accepted at all? Any insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted (sometimes), but you will not get a good exchange rate. And DO NOT exchange money with anyone on the street. I have found the best way to get local currency in any country, is to use a bank ATM. The same goes in Budapest. They will accept Euros, but not at a good rate.

Good day all,

Just about a month away from our Avalon Budapest to Prague River Cruise. Looking like we will have to balance 3 different currencies, Hungarian Forint, Czech Koruna and Euros. I have heard that euros are accepted in Czech. Widely accepted, not widely accepted or not accepted at all? Any insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

We started in Prague and cruised to Budapest a few weeks ago...Euros were (generally) accepted in tourist areas in both Czech Republic and Hungary. That said, we found it easier to juggle the three currencies...you never had to worry about exchange rates or if Euros were accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is the common sense approach for traveling thru Europe....

Get yourself a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Then you charge your way throughout Europe. I have used my card for everything except the 2 euro magnet purchase. I never get the local currency in the Czech Republic or Hungary if my stay is one or two days. Getting the local currency is always more expensive than a credit card purchase.

The cards I use is the Capital One card and the Chase Sapphire card.

The Sapphire card is the best for traveling.

...Getting the local currency is always more expensive than a credit card purchase....
I will disagree. I use a Schwab ATM card with no foreign transaction fee and reimbursement of any bank charges, and have compared the rate I get with no FTF credit card purchases made the same day (yes I know the interbank rates change minute by minute) and the rate is virtually identical. I suppose that if you include credit card rebate that tips the scale to credit cards but lots of luck with coin operated toilets when all you have is a credit card or Euros. Your guides and boat staff will be in these countries on a regular basis and will happily accept any left over currency as part of their tip.

I will disagree. I use a Schwab ATM card with no foreign transaction fee and reimbursement of any bank charges, and have compared the rate I get with no FTF credit card purchases made the same day (yes I know the interbank rates change minute by minute) and the rate is virtually identical. I suppose that if you include credit card rebate that tips the scale to credit cards but lots of luck with coin operated toilets when all you have is a credit card or Euros. Your guides and boat staff will be in these countries on a regular basis and will happily accept any left over currency as part of their tip.

An ATM still doesn't help with coin operated toilets; even if there is an attendant the bills you get from the ATM are generally large ones and they won't change them.

That said, I agree with you about cash, although I generally bring a reasonable amount from home, after purchasing at a currency exchange location with pretty good rates. My bank, which waives fees for using other bank's ATMs, has just upped its foreign currency exchange fee from 2.5% to 3.5%. As far as I know, no one in Canada has no foreign currency fee on ATM withdrawals. (On credit cards we are down to only one card that has no currency exchange fee.) I too use my credit card as much as possible for purchases; but I like to have some cash. Unlike you, I don't use leftover cash for tips; I bring home my Euros, including coins, so I have some small bills for the next trip.

Bringing home leftover euros is one thing . . . brnging home forints or similar "one off" currency from countries one is unlikely to visit again is quite another.

True. I was just thinking Euros. However I do have some Croatian kuna and South African Rands in my foreign currency stash with very little chance of going there again. I even have a very small amount of Cambodian reals because I wanted to deal with amounts below $1 US.

Good day all,

Thanks in advance.

Good morning,

I used my ATM card with my credit union and had no issues. My CU reimburses ATM fees and charges no international fees. Please be careful with the "official" exchange places in Prague, they will rip you off. I would stick to the local currency so you aren't getting taken when you get your change.

I don't recall using a pay toilet at anytime in Prague. I don't think I saw a single one. If needed however it's very easy to collect coin change there.

Good day all,

Thanks in advance.

When you withdraw forint or koruna from the ATM from the respective countries, don't choose the option where the ATM figures out your exchange. Just choose the option to withdraw the forint or koruna AND let your bank at home do the exchange for you.

When you withdraw forint or koruna from the ATM from the respective countries, don't choose the option where the ATM figures out your exchange. Just choose the option to withdraw the forint or koruna AND let your bank at home do the exchange for you.

Also true for any credit card transaction; you want to be billed in local currency and let Visa or MasterCard set the exchange rate.