Review Star Princess Alaska May 5-12 - Including Photo's and patters

Valiamo

Sailaway

The muster drill was on time at 4:30, and we were gathered in the Vista Lounge on Deck 7. It was longer than normal, as they were trying to get the on-board passengers to the muster stations. Nathan was the muster captain, and he was quite funny. He was quite excited as it was his last cruise for this contract and he was on the way home to Australia.

As said earlier we sailed away at 6:00 pm, and were passing under the Lions Gate Bridge by 6:17

enhance

The cruise activities team was decked out in lumberjack shirts, and most of them sported some type of beard or moustache (and some of them should not have).

enhance

This is a view of the Port of Vancouver with Canada Place in the foreground. You can see the Nieuw Amsterdam still docked awaiting their turn to leave port. She shadowed us for the entire cruise (except for our missing port - which I will tell you about later).

enhance

The whole evening was cruising along the coast up between the Mainland and Vancouver Island. This house on an island looked outstanding.

enhance

A sunset photo and we finished off Day 1

enhance

This is an awesome pic and so tranquil; look at the smooth water

Great question Bob. Yes, there is a Coax input into the TV, but I was not sure about unplugging it from the ship's systems and exchanging it for your own device with Coax. The remote was VERY primitive, while I was able to view the TV settings, through a menu, but didn't see a way to change the input device to another one. I would suspect you would need a universal remote to access the input menus.

I do hope someone that has tried to attach a device will chime in and talk about their successes

Thanks for the reply and keep those great pictures coming.....:):):)

Bob

The top cruiser on the ship was a Mr and Mrs More who had 1341 nights at sea (that’s like 191 - 7-night cruises).
M/M More from Wisconsin were also the most traveled guests on our Alaska cruise last Sept. At the time, they had 1204 cruising days.

If it is the same Mr/Mrs. More, then between last September and your cruise, they added 137 days of additional cruising in the past 8 months ( 1341-1204= 137). Wow !

A minor detail, but I think Mr./Mrs. More live a charmed life on Princess. Maybe they just sail up & back to Alaska all summer & to warm weather ports all winter. Lucky couple ! :p

Thanks for an excellent review with gorgeous photos ! No one does Alaska like Princess. :D - EBC

Wow, and I thought I took great sunset pictures.....:):):)

Bob

I was really, really lucky with this sunset. Right photo at the right time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

I was also on this cruise

My first cruise with Princess and first ever visit to North America - I`m from the UK :)

Its a shame we missed Ketchikan, But I havent been there so didnt know what I was missing !!

Beautiful photos - I wish my photos were as a great as yours !!

Cruisefan2012

Great report Valiamo. Thank you for taking the time to provide so much detail.

I am going to quibble with one comment, though.

An Alaska Cruise is a once in a lifetime cruise. We have now been there and done that.

We just completed our fourth Alaska cruise. We have two more booked in 2019. I have read posts here on Cruise Critics by people whose Alaska cruise count is well into the teens.

I agree that your comment is correct for you. For some of us, we can't get enough of Alaskan cruising. ;p

Great report Valiamo. Thank you for taking the time to provide so much detail.

I am going to quibble with one comment, though.

I agree that your comment is correct for you. For some of us, we can't get enough of Alaskan cruising. ;p

Thought that this comment might have raised some eyebrows! I am a warm weather cruiser, and love to spend time outside in the sand and sun.

Thought that this comment might have raised some eyebrows! I am a warm weather cruiser, and love to spend time outside in the sand and sun.

;p

My sister-in-law is the same. They had a cruise to Hawaii booked for November, but, apparently, work interfered, and they had to cancel. So, my brother asked if she wanted to do a cruise to Alaska in August or September,

"No. I want to go where it's warm," was her reply.

They're taking a two-week Caribbean cruise.

We did Alaska last summer roundtrip out of Seattle. we asked our daughter to go with us; she said no also. Too cold up there was her reason for not going. She is going with us for a beach vacation.