Seabourn Ovation Inaugural

Just boarded, what’s that smell everywhere ? smells like a rubbish dump....

It’s not a ‘new car / new ship’ smell - I asked one of the staff on boarding and they said it’s a problem they’re looking into - and they have fragrance diffusers around the stairs to try and disguise it....

Well that's not good. I like the smell of new carpets and even paint,and that's what I'd anticipate the new ship smell to be like. However off gassing to my nose at least, is very different to the carpet and paint smell.

We recently renovated one of our rooms and the smell from whatever that was off gassing was completely awful, worse than I've known before. But it was just one room and we simply didn't use it for about 3 weeks until the smell disappeared. You can't do that on a ship!

Let's hope they can get it resolved very quickly for you.

Keep us posted. We get on in 10 days.

I just heard from friends onboard who aren't aware of this problem so I'm wondering if it's a specific area of the ship.

Hopefully TheBaron777 will keep us posted and let us know where they're noticing this issue. Or even better, update that the smell has now disappeared.

There was a similar problem on Quest in her first year of service.

"They" had vented the sewerage holding tanks out to the port side of deck 5 near the doors to the circular staircase, so this horrible smell came inside (and made walking around the outside of deck 5 an odoriferous experience:mad:)

It was fixed at the first drydock, however I could never work out how come the third ship of the "O" class was built like that:o

We are also onboard - haven’t noticed the smell so it must be one particular stairwell.

Love being on a new ship - lovely fluffy towels and gowns. So far everything is working, if there are problems they are covering them up well.

They have found a use for the deck space at back of TK. It is now a fresh fruit, juice and smoothie bar, open for breakfast and lunch. You can also order from the Colonnade menu for breakfast and lunch.

Internet seems to be better but that might change depending where we are.

So far so good.

We are also onboard - haven’t noticed the smell so it must be one particular stairwell.

Love being on a new ship - lovely fluffy towels and gowns. So far everything is working, if there are problems they are covering them up well.

They have found a use for the deck space at back of TK. It is now a fresh fruit, juice and smoothie bar, open for breakfast and lunch. You can also order from the Colonnade menu for breakfast and lunch.

So far so good.[/quote

That is good to hear. Previous comments indicated that it is a big problem.

Here is hoping the towels and gowns are still really fluffy by the time we embark for our Ovation cruise on August 25th.

Looking forward to other comments as the cruise continues.

I too board in ten days. I look forward to additional posts about what to expect. I was glad to hear the smell is not pervasive. I am very excited but am also expecting some shake out issues.

Yesterday the awful smell was noticeable. It hit us as soon as we embarked on Deck 5. They have burners in some places, obviously trying to mask the smell. It seems less noticeable today. Enjoying free Internet white sitting on deck 10. It's provided by the town of Zadar where we are now docked. Warm and sunny day but breezy.

So far so good.

Sounds like something they could easily retrofit for that space on the Encore.

They have found a use for the deck space at back of TK. It is now a fresh fruit, juice and smoothie bar, open for breakfast and lunch.

Great news - juice/smoothie bar is one of the enhancements, along with better ice cream/gelato and chocolates, etc., that I've been suggesting in recent years that have been implemented. Can't wait to try it out on the Ovation in a couple of months.

Really impressed that Seabourn does listen and make things happen - well, for the most part... enhanced house champagne remains elusive, but that's been discussed ad nauseum...

Can any of you on board Ovation confirm whether there is a self-service laundry on Deck 5 (forward from the back stairs), as is now the case on Encore? Thanks.

It has already been confirmed on another thread, plus you can see it on the deck plans on Seabourn site.

We board the Ovation on June 9th and we are really getting excited! I look forward to more reports from this first official voyage! Glad to hear that the foul odor is localized and not widespread.

Can any of you on board Ovation confirm whether there is a self-service laundry on Deck 5 (forward from the back stairs), as is now the case on Encore? Thanks.

Would this stop you going on a cruise if there was no self service laundry on a ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would this stop you going on a cruise if there was no self service laundry on a ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be a consideration. It probably wouldn't stop us from booking the cruise, unless there was a similar itinerary on a Regent ship or another Seabourn ship that has self service laundry.