"It's a Kinda Magic" October 16th,2011 (continued)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:25 PM.
Raleigh, NC
626 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by cjcruiser27
Do you get a better deal if you book a future cruise while on a cruise?
Carnival offers a future cruise certificate that you can buy while you are on board for $100. You will apply the $100 to your deposit when you book any cruise within two years. You do not have to book while on the cruise.

The incentive is the onboard credit. They will give you up to $200 credit depending on the length of the cruise. I bought one this Spring knowing I would be booking this cruise. Because it is a 12 day cruise, I received a $200 credit. I think it is $100 for a 7 day cruise.

So to answer your question, you don't get a better deal for the cruise, but you do get a guaranteed on board credit. Just look for the better deal when you get home!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises:
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Sensation 2005
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2006
Carnival Triumph 2007
Norwegian Dawn 2008
Pride of America, Hawaii 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Glory 2010
Carnival Destiny 2011
Carnival Magic 2011 Mediterrean
Carnival Miracle, Mar. 25, 2012
Norwegian Sun 2012 Baltics
Celebrity Reflection October 2013, Italy and Greece

Tyler, Tx
584 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by jgeraci7
I don't think I even own any panty hose anymore. I will be bare legged or in sox or knee-hi's with long pants for formal nights. My dress shoes are strappy and will have to do. At home I wear slip-ons in cooler weather and flip-flops when it's warm. I don't plan on changing just because I'm on a cruise ship.

JoyceG
Am I the only one wearing spanks? Maybe I am the only one with bags that need to be stuffed in??????? We are going to have a great time old bags and all. We need more than 2 pages. Where is everbody? Have a happy weekin. I have to tell you, we have clouds in Tyler TX. No rain>>>>.and its cooler but we do have clouds. Maybe just maybe it might rain. See ya all. Its getting close. Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean (4da) S.S. Emerald Seas, 1990: Admiral Cruise(7da) S.S. Azure Seas, 1991: Commodorcs(7da) Enchanted Isle, 1999: Norwegian (4da) 2005: Royal Caribbean (7da) Rhapsody of the Seas 2006: Carnivals (7da)Conquest 2006: Ecstasy (7) 2008: Ecstasy (7) 2010: Ecstasy (7) 2011: Magic (28) 2011: Carnival (7) Sailed days 92.
Pelham, Alabama
4,814 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Glad to have you with us and welcome back to lurking Libby.

I totally agree with Joyce, maybe some knee hi s. I do have some dress sandals that are going along with some dressy flip flops if there is such a thing. Shoes are such a problem, they take up lots of room and weight but having several pair, swapping them out makes your feet happy.
Guys have it so good, three pair of shoes, sneakers, brown and black loafers/dress shoes.

There are several solos on this cruise, you will be right at home with lots of friends both solos and couples.

I am welcoming this cooler weather here in Alabama, too. I sat on the porch for several hours yesterday and read a book, so nice to be able to be out there again.

I don't know if we will buy our vaparetto passes pre-cruise, it would mean having to carry a few less euro.
Who else has been watching the euro go up/down up/down this week. Bummer that our fed decided to shore it up. I was looking forward to it going down a little more. Maybe it still will.

Don't know what spanks are????
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Claire and Al

Commodore Cruise Lines Western Caribbean 1/96
Carnival Destiny Eastern Caribbean 4/97
Holland America Vandaam Alaska 5/03
NCL Dream Western Caribbean 1/14/06
Viking River Cruise Holland/Belgium 4/07
Carnival Freedom Grand Med 9/08
NCL Spirit Repo 4/09
Carnival Splendor Mex Riviera 1/10/10
Carnival Glory New England/Canada 9/25/10
Carnival Freedom Panama/Caribbean 1/15/11
Carnival Magic Grand Med 10/16/11
Carnival Magic Trans Atlantic 10/28/11
Carnival Legend British Isles 9/13/13
Carnival Imagination Panama Canal 1/10/14
Carnival Pride Tampa to Baltimore 3/15/15
RCL Serenade O T Seas Canada/New England 10/19/15
Carnival Fantasy Progresso 1/23/17
Carnival Miracle Hawaii 12/2/17
Silver Spring, MD
3,414 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I'm too lazy to go back and do the multiple quote thingy.

Fancy clothes - I'm taking one pair of dressy pants and 2 tops, a pair of patent flats and knee-hi's. I love these clothes beceause they "pack small."

Helloooo other Judi and other solos and new folks - I'm taking a ship's tour to Arles and Aix in Marseilles. I'm saving Florence until next year when I sail from Rome. You're welcome to join us in Dubrovnik for our walking tour.

The Dubrovnik map I'm bringing doesn't show the cable car, but I have more links at work. I'll look at them Monday.

Claire, Spanks are a brand of bodyslimmers. We old ladies call them girdles. I don't wear anything constricting anymore. If you don't like my lumps and bumps, look elsewhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judy

It's just one adventure after another. Some good, some not so good, but all adventures nonetheless.

Past cruises: Princess (11), Carnival (7), RCCL (4), Costa (1), NCL (1), Royal (1)

McKees Rocks, Pa
496 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by aussie2324
Good morning people. Not long now. I don't want anyone to stop "jawing". I love getting up in the morning and the first thing I do is turn on the computer and head to CC. Since most of the activity happens whilst I am sleeping "Steve no comment" I have to sometimes go back 2-4 pages and catch up. I have learnt some very important info.A couple of lucky friends of ours are on the Magic now. Hopefully she will fill me in on anything when she gets back to the states.

Tracey
Tracey, did you mean that you get up in the morning and turn on John's new Ipad 2? LOL.

Nick (from chilly Pa)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grandeur of the Seas 10/99
Sensation 6/01
Fantasy 11/03
Sovereign of the Seas 11/05
Ecstasy 11/06
Miracle 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 11/07
Miracle 3/09
Valor 9/09
Dream 3/10
Liberty 10/10
Magic 10/11 (Mediterranean)
Explorer of the Seas 4/12
Freedom 10/12
Breeze 1/13 (BC6)
Splendor 9/13
Fascination 1/20/14
Fascination 1/25/14
Pride 5/11/14
Pride 7/27/14
Epic 1/25/15
Conquest 6/13/15
Sunshine (Journey Cruise) 11/28/15
Sunshine (Journey Cruise) 12/9/15
Pride (Journey Cruise) 1/7/18
Pride 1/21/18

Columbus, Ohio
5,445 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
[quote=Clairescurtains;30624006.
Guys have it so good, three pair of shoes, sneakers, brown and black loafers/dress shoes.
QUOTE]

I have it even better, because I will take a pair of Black sneakers. I might wear them on formal nites.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
George & Joyce

Celebrity Elite Member
Royal Caribbean
Crown & Anchor
Diamond Member
Tyler, Tx
584 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by jpg1747

Fancy clothes - I'm taking one pair of dressy pants and 2 tops, a pair of patent flats and knee-hi's. I love these clothes beceause they "pack small."

Helloooo other Judi and other solos and new folks - I'm taking a ship's tour to Arles and Aix in Marseilles. I'm saving Florence until next year when I sail from Rome. You're welcome to join us in Dubrovnik for our walking tour.

The Dubrovnik map I'm bringing doesn't show the cable car, but I have more links at work. I'll look at them Monday.

Claire, Spanks are a brand of bodyslimmers. We old ladies call them girdles. I don't wear anything constricting anymore. If you don't like my lumps and bumps, look elsewhere.
Right on about the body molder Judy, Don't know if I could get into my dress if I didn't have a package to pack myself into before I try to put it on. Maybe I should buy a new dress and let the bumps bloom. It would be more comfortable. See ya girls Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean (4da) S.S. Emerald Seas, 1990: Admiral Cruise(7da) S.S. Azure Seas, 1991: Commodorcs(7da) Enchanted Isle, 1999: Norwegian (4da) 2005: Royal Caribbean (7da) Rhapsody of the Seas 2006: Carnivals (7da)Conquest 2006: Ecstasy (7) 2008: Ecstasy (7) 2010: Ecstasy (7) 2011: Magic (28) 2011: Carnival (7) Sailed days 92.
1,490 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by Clairescurtains

I don't know if we will buy our vaparetto passes pre-cruise, it would mean having to carry a few less euro. Who else has been watching the euro go up/down up/down this week. Bummer that our fed decided to shore it up. I was looking forward to it going down a little more. Maybe it still will.
I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm like you Claire, trying to pre-pay a few things. I think I mentioned before that I took George's suggestion and booked Sun Transfer for our ride from the airport to the hotel in Barcelona. The $40Euro charge posted to my Visa at $54.59usd, so a conversion of 1.365. That was on Sept 12. I did buy some Euros online through Wells Fargo. Bought the minimum of $1,000usd to avoid shipping charges. I found out there is ONE Wells Fargo branch here that does sell Euros. I might buy a few more before we leave since the rate has gone down. Haven't decided. We have two different ATM cards that don't charge ATM usage fees and reimburse us for any fees charged by other banks, so between Euros on hand and those ATM cards, we should be in good shape. Good thing we got a decent price on our cabin because those excursion expenses really add up!
Redding, CA
10,224 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by bflowngs
Carnival offers a future cruise certificate that you can buy while you are on board for $100. You will apply the $100 to your deposit when you book any cruise within two years. You do not have to book while on the cruise.

The incentive is the onboard credit. They will give you up to $200 credit depending on the length of the cruise. I bought one this Spring knowing I would be booking this cruise. Because it is a 12 day cruise, I received a $200 credit. I think it is $100 for a 7 day cruise.

So to answer your question, you don't get a better deal for the cruise, but you do get a guaranteed on board credit. Just look for the better deal when you get home!!

If you are planning on cruising with friends and/or family and they don't have an FCC, there is an advantage to booking onboard. You get the FCC OBC for yourself and also 2 friends and family certificates so that when they book, they can submit a certificate and get the equal amount of OBC. We did this when we were planning an Alaska cruise with daughter and her family.

I had not heard the term spanks either. I guess I'm dating myself but when I was younger, that undergarment was called a "merry widow". I have one and, like Dee will be wearing it to try to get some control over these bumps and lumps.

Okay, I just did something better than drinking 3 jalapeno martinis. I just figured out how to use my plain old ordinary kindle to send an email. Still have to figure out how to capitalize but that's just reading about the keyboard, lol. This was after calling my DD to have her tell me that using the kindle for email was just too cumbersome. Guess who got my first kindle sent email, lol. What makes this so special, for me is that I am the most computer illiterate person you'll ever meet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Annie
5/03 Spirit Alaska...12/04 Miracle Western Caribbean...9/06 Victory NE & Canada...1/07 Paradise Baja...4/07 Spirit Hawaii...5/07 Spirit Alaska...11/07 Valor Western Caribbean...12/07 Paradise Baja, CA...1/08 Spirit Mexican Riviera...3/09 Pride Panama Canal...5/09 Splendor Pacific Northwest...9/09 Spirit Hawaii...1/10 Splendor Mexican Riviera...4/10 NCL Spirit NOLA to Boston...4/10 Carnival Elation Panama Canal...6/10 Carnival Spirit Alaska...10/10 NCL Spirit Boston to New Orleans... 1/11 Carnival Miracle So. Caribbean...2/11 Carnival Miracle So. Caribbean...4/11 Carnival Spirit Hawaii...10/11 Carnival Magic Mediterranean...10/11 Carnival Magic Transatlantic...4/12 Carnival Spirit...Northwest...9/12 Carnival Spirit...Transpacific to Sydney...10/12 Dawn Princess...New Zealand 3/13 Carnival Breeze...B2B Eastern Caribbean, 9/13 Carnival Legend...B2B Northern Europe and British Isles, 1/6/14 Carnival Imagination Caribbean, 1/10/14 Carnival Imagination...Panama Canal, 8/14 Carnival Legend...TP to Sydney, 11/14 Carnival Liberty...Caribbean, 9/15 Carnival Miracle...Mexico, 10/15 & 11/15 Carnival Triumph...B2B Caribbean Journey...1/16 Carnival Miracle, Mexico, Carnival Inspiration...9/16 Mexico, 10/16 Carnival Vista TA

Future Cruises

2/17 Carnival Pride...Journeys PC, Caribbean4/17 Carnival Miracle...B2B Mexican Riviera
9/17 Carnival Miracle...Journeys Alaska
1/18 Carnival Miracle...B2B Mexico & Journey Panama Canal

Words To Live By:

Make Memories, Not Regrets.
Convenience and Safety Trump Cost.
Do Life, Love, Travel.
Laissez les Bon temps rouler

Florida
494 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Arkansas cruisers
Thanks for making the map copies, Judy. Does it show where the Cable Cars are? We might try to do both the Wall Walk and the Cable Car. What would you recommend?
OMG !! I almost forgot about the walking tour! Can someone refresh my mind. I know I didn't sign up earlier because I wasn't sure if I could muster enough courage to go on the cable cars!! I didn't want to sign up & end up not going! Judy, please have an extra map for me inb case we join you all. Thanks I "think" I will try the cable car ~ you only live once & I can keep my eyes closed till I get to the top!!! Sharen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Cod
1,802 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I put on a dep. down for a NZ cruise w/Celebrity for 12/12 but its going to be expensive! I may cancel and do the TA on the Carnival Breeze....not sure yet.
Originally posted by luv2cruz44
If you are planning on cruising with friends and/or family and they don't have an FCC, there is an advantage to booking onboard. You get the FCC OBC for yourself and also 2 friends and family certificates so that when they book, they can submit a certificate and get the equal amount of OBC. We did this when we were planning an Alaska cruise with daughter and her family.

I had not heard the term spanks either. I guess I'm dating myself but when I was younger, that undergarment was called a "merry widow". I have one and, like Dee will be wearing it to try to get some control over these bumps and lumps.

Okay, I just did something better than drinking 3 jalapeno martinis. I just figured out how to use my plain old ordinary kindle to send an email. Still have to figure out how to capitalize but that's just reading about the keyboard, lol. This was after calling my DD to have her tell me that using the kindle for email was just too cumbersome. Guess who got my first kindle sent email, lol. What makes this so special, for me is that I am the most computer illiterate person you'll ever meet.
Raleigh, NC
626 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
When I ordered them on Tuesday, the rate was 1.34, but when I picked them up, the order went in for 1.40. The bank said the rates went up and down all week.....the rate depends on when the order is received from the bank, not necessarily what the euro is going for that day. At least, that is what I was told.

I think I may wait to get the rest of my euros from the ATMs in Europe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises:
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Sensation 2005
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2006
Carnival Triumph 2007
Norwegian Dawn 2008
Pride of America, Hawaii 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Glory 2010
Carnival Destiny 2011
Carnival Magic 2011 Mediterrean
Carnival Miracle, Mar. 25, 2012
Norwegian Sun 2012 Baltics
Celebrity Reflection October 2013, Italy and Greece

Ontario,Canada.
1,198 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by JudiinMt
I am traveling solo this time and would like to find anyone interested in going to Florence for the day. Its an easy train ride and not too exspensive a day. Love to tag along in Marseilles if someone has a private tour planned.

And Yes Val we did sail with you on the Freedom inaugural. I loved our day on the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii.
Judi. Are you thinking of Florence from Rome or Savona?

Val.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Vista. Oct. 2016.
Carnival Vista. Oct.2016. Transatlantic.
Carnival Legend. Baltics 2013
Carnival Legend British Isles.Back to our birth place.2013
Carnival Spirit Hawaii 2012
Carnival Magic Transatlantic 2011
Carnival Magic 2011
Carnival Dream. 2009
Carnival Miracle. 2008
Carnival Freedom. 2008
Carnival Freedom. 2007
Carnival Miracle.2005
Carnival Legend.2004
Carnival Pride.2002
Carnival Sensation.2001.
Jackson, MS
1,343 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Undecided??? My Joe had decided to take a suit to wear both formal nights but after reading some posts I told him I thought just a shirt and tie would be fine. Do most people think that's o.k. for formal nights and captain's party?
Patsy
1,490 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by jplewis
Undecided??? My Joe had decided to take a suit to wear both formal nights but after reading some posts I told him I thought just a shirt and tie would be fine. Do most people think that's o.k. for formal nights and captain's party?
Patsy
Patsy, Royce is taking dress slacks, long sleeve dress shirt and a tie or two. But depending on how others dress, he may leave the tie in the cabin! Others may chime in with "dressier" options, but we're staying simple
Raymond Terrace Australia
2,980 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by jpg1747

I remember when we were on our first cruise on the Triumph doing the Western Caribbean. Well it was formal night the ship was doing a bit of rocking and rolling, I had a few wines and needed to go to the ladies. Now the ladies would know the difficulty involved trying to get out of these damn things whilst the ship is heading into what felt like a cycloneWith a few wines under my belt and one foot firmly braced on each side of the stall I am standing there laughing my head off. Because I had to brace myself I could not get the blasted thing down and with the wines my problem solving was not fully functional. In the end I did accomplish the task. But I won't ever wear those spanks,girdles,fat holderinners AGAIN

Originally posted by nickb
Tracey, did you mean that you get up in the morning and turn on John's new Ipad 2? LOL.

Nick (from chilly Pa)
Nick,

As you saw on FB I don't have a chance. I am lucky enough to get to use the old oneBut that is okay he has to go to work some times.

Tracey
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
vanlawick at hotmail dot com

Future Cruises
Travelmarvel Diamond. Edinburgh & The Highlands & Gems River Cruise. Edinburgh - Prague. EUTCSHS26P

Past Cruises
NCL Jewel 10 day's New Zealand 1/31/18
RCCL OOS 12 day's New Zealand 12/29/17
Carnival Spirit 10 day's South Pacific 9/2/17
Carnival Vista 13 day's Trans Atlantic 10/21/16
Carnival Vista 10 day's Med 10/11/16
NCL Jade 7 day's Greek Islands 10/01/16
Carnival Legend 19 days Hawaii to Sydney 9/25/15
P&O Pacific Jewel 6 day's J510B 6/3/15
P&O Pacific Jewel 5 day's J510A 2/3/15
NCL Jewel Houston, Western Caribbean 7 days 10/11/14
NCL Jewel Los Angeles, Panama Canal, Houston 16 days 09/25/14
NCL Jewel Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles 5 days 09/20/14
NCL Jewel Seattle, Alaska, Vancouver 7 days 09/13/14
Carnival Legend Europe from Dover 12 days Pt 2 09/13/13
Carnival Legend Europe from Dover 12 days Pt 1 09/01/13
Carnival Spirit South Pacific 12 days 09/28/12
Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Family Cruise 7 days 09/16/12
P&O Pacific Sun 4 day's 03/04/2012
RCCL Voyager Of The Seas TA 13 days 10/30/11
Carnival Magic 12 days mediterannian 10/16/11
Carnival Magic 9 days Mediterannian 10/7/11
Carnival Spirit Hawaii 12 days 9/14/10
Celebrity Mercury Alaska 7 days 09/05/10
Sun Princess Hawaiian Discovery 17 days 09/29/09
Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean 7 days 12/07/08
Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 7 days 11/30/08
Redding, CA
10,224 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Patsy

That is precisely what Gale is wearing Patsy and one of his shirts may even be short sleeved.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Annie
5/03 Spirit Alaska...12/04 Miracle Western Caribbean...9/06 Victory NE & Canada...1/07 Paradise Baja...4/07 Spirit Hawaii...5/07 Spirit Alaska...11/07 Valor Western Caribbean...12/07 Paradise Baja, CA...1/08 Spirit Mexican Riviera...3/09 Pride Panama Canal...5/09 Splendor Pacific Northwest...9/09 Spirit Hawaii...1/10 Splendor Mexican Riviera...4/10 NCL Spirit NOLA to Boston...4/10 Carnival Elation Panama Canal...6/10 Carnival Spirit Alaska...10/10 NCL Spirit Boston to New Orleans... 1/11 Carnival Miracle So. Caribbean...2/11 Carnival Miracle So. Caribbean...4/11 Carnival Spirit Hawaii...10/11 Carnival Magic Mediterranean...10/11 Carnival Magic Transatlantic...4/12 Carnival Spirit...Northwest...9/12 Carnival Spirit...Transpacific to Sydney...10/12 Dawn Princess...New Zealand 3/13 Carnival Breeze...B2B Eastern Caribbean, 9/13 Carnival Legend...B2B Northern Europe and British Isles, 1/6/14 Carnival Imagination Caribbean, 1/10/14 Carnival Imagination...Panama Canal, 8/14 Carnival Legend...TP to Sydney, 11/14 Carnival Liberty...Caribbean, 9/15 Carnival Miracle...Mexico, 10/15 & 11/15 Carnival Triumph...B2B Caribbean Journey...1/16 Carnival Miracle, Mexico, Carnival Inspiration...9/16 Mexico, 10/16 Carnival Vista TA

Future Cruises

2/17 Carnival Pride...Journeys PC, Caribbean4/17 Carnival Miracle...B2B Mexican Riviera

Words To Live By:

Do Life, Love, Travel.

Bermuda
87 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
To each his own, Up until a few years ago I always wore my tuxedo on formal nights, however these days I tend to alternate between Tux & suit.
I simply enjoy dressing up every now and then. This cruise will be my 48th and I have never dressed down on formal nights.

So; Joe wear your suit if you wish and I will bet that if you do, your Patsy will tell you how dapper you look.

Patsy
Redding, CA
10,224 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by makeel
To each his own, Up until a few years ago I always wore my tuxedo on formal nights, however these days I tend to alternate between Tux & suit.
I simply enjoy dressing up every now and then. This cruise will be my 48th and I have never dressed down on formal nights.

So; Joe wear your suit if you wish and I will bet that if you do, your Patsy will tell you how dapper you look.
I'm sure when I see you onboard on formal night, I will be sorry that Gale is not in his tux. Actually, it's not so much the luggage restrictions as it is the thought of hauling everything with us in London, getting from the airport to our hotel and back again, that makes us more cautious as to everything we are bringing. I know we will feel underdressed but I really don't want to wear the same 4 casual outfits for 28 days, lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Annie

Future Cruises

Words To Live By:

Do Life, Love, Travel.

Silver Spring, MD
3,414 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
So I was going through all my paperwork, making sure I printed out everything I needed and I realized I only had the payment confirmation from this company and not the voucher needed to pick up the necessary tickets. Did anyone else not get both emails? I've sent an inquiry through the website and I'll follow up on Monday, but I was just curious if anyone else had this problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judy

It's just one adventure after another. Some good, some not so good, but all adventures nonetheless.

Past cruises: Princess (11), Carnival (7), RCCL (4), Costa (1), NCL (1), Royal (1)